13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently did purchased and installed these parts on my Ninja 400:
  1. Clutch Cable Spring Kit
  2. Heavy Duty Barnett Clutch Springs
  3. Blueprinted Shift Change Shaft and Protection Kit
  4. Heavy Duty Shift Detent Spring
  5. Race Spec Shift Star
  6. Race Spec Modified Clutch Pull Rod (now discontinued)
I did not do the Barnett Friction Plates. However, after putting the bike back together, when I shift into first gear, my bike lurches forward and stalls. So it seems like my clutch is not working/engaging properly. Does anyone know what my problem may be, or can someone help me how to diagnose and how to fix the issue? What are the most common mistakes that people make when doing this installation?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Is the cable adjusted right? Sounds like it's either too loose, or you messed up something when you put it back together and the pull rod in the clutch isn't disengaging the plates. Are you even getting any resistance from the lever when you squeeze the clutch lever? You should be able to easily tell if it's not assembled right when you squeeze the lever. It's easy to mess up that last plate and not get it seated right. I've done that once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m getting little to no resistance when squeezing the clutch lever, but I am pretty sure I adjusted the cable correctly. I’m pretty sure I put the plates back together properly, but I guess I will try to install them correctly again tonight, and I’ll have an update for you after that! Hopefully everything is good

·
Registered
533 Posts
With the heavier pressure plate springs, you will definitely feel more resistance if everything is installed & adjusted properly. I’d take a good look at the plates like sbk suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hm I can't seem to get the stem to latch onto the pull rod to get the pressure that I need. Is this stem broken? I don't think it is, but if so, then I guess I broke it while trying to pull it out, and therefore there will be metal pieces in my engine?

Also here is a video showing what happens when I try to get the stem to latch onto the pull rod:

·
Registered
533 Posts
In the video above, you’re just moving the shift arm into position. You aren’t moving it through the part of the travel where it pulls on the pull rod to move the pressure plate outward.

Here is where the clutch arm rests:

...and with the clutch lever fully pulled in:

0D6BB25C-931D-4849-BDC1-121FFF5B0155.jpeg

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I’m getting little to no resistance when squeezing the clutch lever, but I am pretty sure I adjusted the cable correctly. I’m pretty sure I put the plates back together properly, but I guess I will try to install them correctly again tonight, and I’ll have an update for you after that! Hopefully everything is good
Yeah you did exactly what I did I bet and just didn't put the pressure plate on right. The teeth need to sit in between the teeth on the hub. When installed correctly, and you pull on the little pull rod, it should only move in and out about 2 mm. If it moves more (like 4-5 mm), then you didn't do it right.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hm I can't seem to get the stem to latch onto the pull rod to get the pressure that I need. Is this stem broken? I don't think it is, but if so, then I guess I broke it while trying to pull it out, and therefore there will be metal pieces in my engine?

Also here is a video showing what happens when I try to get the stem to latch onto the pull rod:

View attachment 14851
I can tell from this picture that it's not right. There shouldn't be gaps between the plate that's pushing down on the springs and the pressure plate. When you tighten down those 3 screws, the plate should sit on the one underneath. You have a gap, and if you try to tighten them more it'll start bending that plate (don't do that!). It's because the pressure plate is not fully engaged. The teeth are sitting on the plate underneath instead of in between.

Hope this makes sense, it's really hard to explain in words lol But like I said, I made the same mistake the first time and I was scratching my head for hours. I think I even have a thread on here from 2018 where I posted about it if you do a search.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's a hunk missing out of the end of the clutch lever rod and you can see the damage to the end of the pull rod where engages.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There's a hunk missing out of the end of the clutch lever rod and you can see the damage to the end of the pull rod where engages.
Huh? Where are you looking? The rod is fine. That's how it's designed. There is an open slot so that the neck of the pull rod can fit in and be pulled.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Put the outer friction and steel on the pressure plate for reassembly, as in this pic. The outer steel's teeth mesh with that, not with the clutch basket (as your pic illustrates). If they aren't meshed, the pressure plate won't fully seat, like sbk1198 said. The spring plate should fully seat against the three spring posts, with a little space left between the spring plate and the pressure plate. If the pressure plate isn't fully seated, the spring plate will hit it and bend before you get the bolts all the way in (as sbk1198 warned).

It can be a bit tricky to keep the steel on the pressure plate and get the tabs on the friction plate aligned with the clutch basket as you're sliding it down and in (assuming the bike is leaned over on the sidestand). It may take a few tries to get everything aligned and seated properly, but it should all just click into place once it does.

I planned to take more pics when I did mine a couple weeks ago, but as I often do, I got into doing the work and wanting to have my bike back together, so they're somewhat lacking. I should've taken a better pic of how the pressure plate and spring plate sit when properly assembled, as it caused me some trouble too.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
It’s doing exactly what SBK and Invisibill are saying. I did the exact same thing then read SBK’s original thread and filled his lead. Once you see it right it will always be aparant .

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Well the damage is obvious to my eye. The OP even mentions it in his post.
There is no damage. That's what they look like.

Put the outer friction and steel on the pressure plate for reassembly, as in this pic. The outer steel's teeth mesh with that, not with the clutch basket (as your pic illustrates). If they aren't meshed, the pressure plate won't fully seat, like sbk1198 said. The spring plate should fully seat against the three spring posts, with a little space left between the spring plate and the pressure plate. If the pressure plate isn't fully seated, the spring plate will hit it and bend before you get the bolts all the way in (as sbk1198 warned).

It can be a bit tricky to keep the steel on the pressure plate and get the tabs on the friction plate aligned with the clutch basket as you're sliding it down and in (assuming the bike is leaned over on the sidestand). It may take a few tries to get everything aligned and seated properly, but it should all just click into place once it does.

I planned to take more pics when I did mine a couple weeks ago, but as I often do, I got into doing the work and wanting to have my bike back together, so they're somewhat lacking. I should've taken a better pic of how the pressure plate and spring plate sit when properly assembled, as it caused me some trouble too.
^This. That's the more reliable way of doing it. That's how I had to do it as well once I figured out what the issue was. Put the last friction plate and steel plate on the pressure plate first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is no damage. That's what they look like.

^This. That's the more reliable way of doing it. That's how I had to do it as well once I figured out what the issue was. Put the last friction plate and steel plate on the pressure plate first.
I am trying that method, but I still can't get the pressure plate to mesh correctly. Is there someone in the Southern California area that could help me fix this? I will keep trying but I just can't seem to get it right. And due to the countless horror stories I've heard about dealers messing up bikes, I really don't wanna take it into a shop... can't seem to trust anyone these days

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am trying that method, but I still can't get the pressure plate to mesh correctly. Is there someone in the Southern California area that could help me fix this? I will keep trying but I just can't seem to get it right. And due to the countless horror stories I've heard about dealers messing up bikes, I really don't wanna take it into a shop... can't seem to trust anyone these days
Hey, did you get it sorted?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's going to be a simple mistake on assembly. I'd persist with it rather than pay an expensive mechanic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts