Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Kiwi, Did you get any answers from big K re the clutch .? Still not had anything from my dealer, need to go in an chase them...
Funny you should ask that as the short answer is no. I was thinking just yst that I must chase that up.
Will send e-mail now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Funny you should ask that as the short answer is no. I was thinking just yst that I must chase that up.
Will send e-mail now.
Im about to do the same, have a list of stuff to talk to dealer about tomorrow, so shall go visit them... Big K have now moved to Hamilton, north end of town, doesn't make getting my parts any faster though, lol...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah I think we need to make a big deal about it and find out why this is happening, because I thought the 3 spring clutch setup in the 400 that was borrowed from the 300 would not be enough to handle the extra power, especially after talking with Greg Spears, but the 17-18 Ninja 650R also has a similar 3 spring clutch.

Unless that one is beefed up in the 650 more.....the springs are different part numbers.
Maybe I will order a 650 spring and compare the sizes.

Also seems the 650 has 4 friction plates and the 400 has 5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Yeah I think we need to make a big deal about it and find out why this is happening, because I thought the 3 spring clutch setup in the 400 that was borrowed from the 300 would not be enough to handle the extra power, especially after talking with Greg Spears, but the 17-18 Ninja 650R also has a similar 3 spring clutch.

Unless that one is beefed up in the 650 more.....the springs are different part numbers.
Maybe I will order a 650 spring and compare the sizes.

Also seems the 650 has 4 friction plates and the 400 has 5
How much a clutch can hold is not only a function of the normal force applied to the clutch surface and friction coefficient, but also how far away the surface is from the center. I have not seen the Ninja 650 clutch next to the Ninja 400 clutch.

So to make a clutch handle more torque you need to do one or multiple of the following;
-Change the coefficient of friction by changing material
-Increase the clamping force (Stiffer springs)
-Place the friction area farther from the center of the clutch basket (Torque=force*radius)
-Increase the number of friction areas/clutch plates

Changing any of these affects how much the clutch can hold.

·
Registered
985 Posts
does anyone know what springs are in the 400 to get aftermarket/replacement ones?
Not too sure where I could get stiffer ones - hoping someone can help
Barnett is one place:

Here you go, they say 10%-20% stiffer than stock. The set comes with 3 springs.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018-2019) - Barnett Tool & Engineering

Outside of Spears racing kit, but you have to buy the kit with plates to get them, this is the only way I have seen the springs so far.
Not sure what springs come with the Spears kit, the plates though are not Barnett I asked Gregg.

EBC makes friction plates and springs, but I do not see anything through them for the 400 yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Barnett is one place:

Here you go, they say 10%-20% stiffer than stock. The set comes with 3 springs.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018-2019) - Barnett Tool & Engineering

Outside of Spears racing kit, but you have to buy the kit with plates to get them, this is the only way I have seen the springs so far.
Not sure what springs come with the Spears kit, the plates though are not Barnett I asked Gregg.

EBC makes friction plates and springs, but I do not see anything through them for the 400 yet.

Cheers mate! Appreciate it, this is really helpful

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have finally joined the burnt out clutch crew...woohoo!!! Started slipping in my first race over weekend, basically rendered the top half of 5th gear useless, had to short shift to 6th to get any traction. By the second race it was kind of a joke, pulling up next to an opponent only to hit 5th and then drop back behind them. Talking to other ninja400 racers in the paddock, they all laughed about having the exact same problem...even the 80lb kids. At least, they said, the fix solves the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys thanks for sharing all useful information.. by the way I'm from Malaysia now working in Vietnam , beginner for big cc bike.. I just bought Ninja 400 2 weeks ago (brand new USD 7300 on road price) with 240km rides. Yesterday night my clutch is fried. My dealer told me I have to repair it my self, how rediculaus! I can't speak vietnamese is my weakness so I have no idea is the Kawasaki Vietnam understanding my English complaint mail or not.. Thanks for sharing at least now I understand why my bike not moving at all..

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Hi guys thanks for sharing all useful information.. by the way I'm from Malaysia now working in Vietnam , beginner for big cc bike.. I just bought Ninja 400 2 weeks ago (brand new USD 7300 on road price) with 240km rides. Yesterday night my clutch is fried. My dealer told me I have to repair it my self, how rediculaus! I can't speak vietnamese is my weakness so I have no idea is the Kawasaki Vietnam understanding my English complaint mail or not.. Thanks for sharing at least now I understand why my bike not moving at all..
That's crazy your clutch is stuffed after 240km. I've got 6,000km on mine and it's fine. Doesn't add up.
Gotta wonder if their was a batch of faulty clutch plates or some thing. I dunno.
Disgusting that the dealer doesn't want to help you either.
You have my sympathies.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@ James Tee,
don't you have some workmates who speak Vietnamese, who could go to dealers with you ,
its got to be a warranty job after two weeks, if they are not going to fix it ask for your money back,
or if you bought it on finance maybe they can help.
all the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks bro.. i just received reply email from Kawasaki. Details as below

Dear Mr James,

As you may see in the attachment, the warranty does cover the clutch housing excluding normal wear and tear item such as the clutch plate.
In the event of clutch housing is damaged, definitely there will be a warranty and replacement.
Clutch plate are defined under the wear and tear item as these parts are subjected to rider usage and handling. There are many incidents where the clutch plates are used up in only matter of days due to rider not releasing the clutch fully and riding with half clutch during acceleration / cruising. This alternately damages / uses up the clutch plate threads and this will results in the clutch cant be operated.

Please do have the bike over to the mechanic so he may assist you in getting the root of the problem and in the event of any abnormalities, definitely we will be there to assist and have the problem rectified.

Thank You,
Tharwinder
TC Motorcycles (Vietnam) Co., Ltd.
A: 2nd Floor, No. 289-289A Nguyen Van Troi,
Ward 10, Phu Nhuan District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
TEL: +84 (0) 28 7302 6800

Now I really dont know what to do? :crying::crying::crying:
Hi guys could your help give me some idea or any suggestion to me?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
... Please do have the bike over to the mechanic so he may assist you in getting the root of the problem and in the event of any abnormalities, definitely we will be there to assist and have the problem rectified.
This is the key bit in that e-mail. Take the bike in and be strong in the knowledge that you have ridden the bike correctly (I assume you have!) and hold them to their word.

Also there is the possibility that your clutch may just need adjusting and the mechanic will be able to do this.

It's totally unreasonable of them to expect you to pay for a new clutch with that low mileage on a brand new bike.
Also, if you do end up having to pay for a new clutch (hopefully not) then you may as well invest in an aftermarket one that wont give you any more grief in the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway this weekend and happened to see the Feel Like a Pro guy. He has a fleet of N400 and I asked him about the clutch. He said the clutches burnt out on the first couple of bikes but once they make the clutch lever super floppy, the problem went away. It looks too floppy for my taste but I just thought I'll pass the info along.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway this weekend and happened to see the Feel Like a Pro guy. He has a fleet of N400 and I asked him about the clutch. He said the clutches burnt out on the first couple of bikes but once they make the clutch lever super floppy, the problem went away. It looks too floppy for my taste but I just thought I'll pass the info along.
Yeah I noticed this when I bought mine with 400 miles on the clock. I was driving it back from Atlanta to Nashville TN area and it would slip past about 7k RPM's so I adjusted it so I could wiggle the cable at the lever and it went away and I have not experienced it again.

I still have plans to replace the friction plates and springs this winter

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dino, you're Back! Good to see your surface, I still feel bad about that low-side in front of you 5 years ago, come and race again!:clap:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah I noticed this when I bought mine with 400 miles on the clock. I was driving it back from Atlanta to Nashville TN area and it would slip past about 7k RPM's so I adjusted it so I could wiggle the cable at the lever and it went away and I have not experienced it again.

I still have plans to replace the friction plates and springs this winter
What do you mean by wiggle exactly? Did you ride with too much free play in the lever or barley with free play?

Im at 4700 km's never had an issue. I think some folks just ride it hard asf and red lining it every gear... i suppose that is the reason for the issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dino, you're Back! Good to see your surface, I still feel bad about that low-side in front of you 5 years ago, come and race again!:clap:
Yo Joel! Don't worry about, neither of us got hurt which is all really matters. I'm done racing, so I just do the Socal Tracks since I corner work for them. Sorry to hear about your crash at last round. Keep it up!

Dino

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heya guys, my first post here in this forum, haven't got the opportunity to introduce my self properly in the introduction thread yet.

I am from Malaysia, currently riding the single-cylinder Ninja 250SL. And have been eyeing for the 400 since last year, and only got released locally somewhere this month.

Using the bike solely for work commute, 150km daily to and fro(75km each way) 5 days a week, 40% city&bumper to bumper traffic, 60% freeway, thus why I choose this bike instead of the 650 which will put my life difficult in the 40% of journey haha.

Perusing this forum, I guess the only issues/defect with the NInja 400 is only the clutch yes?

So what would be the best fix/remedy for this issue? Change into stiffer spring right away?

Would the 4 springs clutch set from Ninja 250r fit?

Cheers!

P/S: Fun fact, the 250SL series got their engine derived from KLX 250, and they got 6 springs in their clutch

Attachments

161 - 180 of 220 Posts