Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a N300 and my clutch never slipped and I rode that bike very aggressively. On my 400 I do the same, and the clutch will slip during fast shifts here and there. Kawasaki clearly needs to address this issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My take away from this thread is: a clutch replacement with aftermarket parts (Barnett or Spears) will be in my future at some point, probably sooner than expected. Parts will be $120 to $140 plus clutch housing gasket and oil change parts. Install sounds relatively easy to me. Here's a couple of decent install videos on different bikes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive never heard of Kawasaki Break in oil ,fact I dont think there is such a Oil
.I have owned Five brand new bikes all different makes, none of those had any such oil.
At this moment I have three new bikes,

What I have noticed on here is a few lads with slipping clutch have used Fully Synthetic,
now that might be too slippy for clutch plates

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Barnett friction plates...they have you order 2 with one part number and 3 of the other.

Is there a specific order these plates go back in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My name is Daniel I’m from Orlando and I had the same issues with the clutch. I own a ninja 400 with 950miles. It will show as if was in gear but the bike would not move. Took it to the shop 4 days ago and they called me today and told me that Kawasaki is covering it under warranty. My question is would they replace the clutch with the same one or the will use as better one

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hello,

My name is Daniel I’m from Orlando and I had the same issues with the clutch. I own a ninja 400 with 950miles. It will show as if was in gear but the bike would not move. Took it to the shop 4 days ago and they called me today and told me that Kawasaki is covering it under warranty. My question is would they replace the clutch with the same one or the will use as better one
Should be same parts.
Looking at the parts fiche/diagram showing all the same parts except the bearing in the clutch pressure plate or housing plate, the clutch basket outer pressure plate, in which the springs mount to. Looks like it has been superseded with a different part..wonder if that is/was part of issues Kawasaki identified?? Or just supplier/distributor change?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Clutch Plates.

Ninja400 Stealth says the new plates were stacked somehow better for greater grab. Does anyone know what this means? Perhaps this special stacking can be done pre clutch fry? Also how can the bearing cause the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a N300 and my clutch never slipped and I rode that bike very aggressively. On my 400 I do the same, and the clutch will slip during fast shifts here and there. Kawasaki clearly needs to address this issue.
Well, this information is from China.

There are 10+ clutch burnt issues happened in China, I can tell this issue is a design problem of Ninja400, Kawasaki needs to fix this or call back the bike.

I am standing at almost 6,000 km's and not even one issue so far.

The moment this bike (hopefully not) gets a recall to get done something in the clutch it's the moment i'll sell it. Over my dead body i will let those dumb **** at the dealership to work on my bike at such depth. I really want to belive there is no issue and the guys having it just running it hard too during the break in period.

I broke mine by the book, and it's solid.

By the way, how much units did it sold in China in 2018?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi ALL, don't forget both SPEARS & FactoryPro sell a clutch detent spring plus SPEARS sells a clutch cable return spring. I plan on buying both for my N4 plus maybe the Barnett springs. I do know that when I went with Barnett springs (1/2 OEM & 1/2 Barnett) on my RZ500, the pull was pretty tough. So just be aware of that.

Edit: I just purchased the Barnett springs and I have new OEM plates sitting in my garage. I plan on buying both SPEARS springs. Before buttoning up completely I will try the pull with the OEM springs and then with the Barnett springs. I know the Barnett will be a stronger pull but just how much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great news for me. My Kawasaki dealer is fixing my clutch, coolant leak and a turn signal that fogs up. All covered under warranty. Didn't even have to put up a fight with them. They said they talked to the Warranty Division and was told to go ahead and order the parts even before I brought the bike in. Kawasaki must be well aware of the clutch issues and the coolant leaks and understands they have to fix this or else they're gonna lose business. I hope they all rectify your guys' issues like they are doing for me. I'm so glad too because I thought they would try and make me pay for it like they have for some of you. No strongly worded phone calls. Just an email to the dealer ship manager telling them that if it didn't get fixed, I'd be taking my business elsewhere and never buying from Kawi again. Not that I think saying that made the difference but it may have. I wasn't leaving there without them agreeing to cover all the parts and labor themselves anyways. I was ready to raise heck because these issues are completely unnacceptable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi ALL, don't forget both SPEARS & FactoryPro sell a clutch detent spring plus SPEARS sells a clutch cable return spring. I plan on buying both for my N4 plus maybe the Barnett springs. I do know that when I went with Barnett springs (1/2 OEM & 1/2 Barnett) on my RZ500, the pull was pretty tough. So just be aware of that

Edit: I just purchased the Barnett springs and I have new OEM plates sitting in my garage. I plan on buying both SPEARS springs. Before buttoning up completely I will try the pull with the OEM springs and then with the Barnett springs. I know the Barnett will be a stronger pull but just how much.
Hey was just wondering if you had any update on this, I would prefer not to deal with clutch issues if at all possible

·
Registered
242 Posts
I really haven't touched the bike in a few weeks. When it warms up and clears up (no snow) I will start working on it. I just need to order my parts from SPEARS first the flop the clutch out. I have the BARNETT springs and a couple clutch gaskets already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Concerning the N400 clutch, one thing I have noticed is that they are delivered with basically no free play in the clutch cable. Add to that the very light operation of the clutch lever and you can have a situation where merely resting your hand on the lever may cause the clutch to be engaged.
On mine I have no clutch issues to report but I have done just 1800km so far. I adjusted the freeplay pretty early on before the first service inspection, since wasn't used to the clutch engaging straight away / right at the top / beginning of the travel of the lever.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Concerning the N400 clutch, one thing I have noticed is that they are delivered with basically no free play in the clutch cable. Add to that the very light operation of the clutch lever and you can have a situation where merely resting your hand on the lever may cause the clutch to be engaged.
On mine I have no clutch issues to report but I have done just 1800km so far. I adjusted the freeplay pretty early on before the first service inspection, since wasn't used to the clutch engaging straight away / right at the top / beginning of the travel of the lever.
I've been wondering about this too. I adjusted mine early on as well and so far at 8,200km I haven't had any issues with some hard riding and a couple of track sessions.
The clutch is stupidly light and has no feel too it. Probably the worst clutch I've had on a bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was asked a few months ago about clutch pull difference RE: OEM vs Barnett.

Pull is super easy OEM, and still pretty light with the Barnett.

OEM lever pull is about 8 Lbs and Barnett about 12 LBS, which is still pretty light.

There are only 3 plates and 3 spring in the Ninja 400 and Z 400.

My Ninja 400 hadn't slipped on the clutch, but the Z 400 did on day 1.

Both bikes now have Barnett springs with OEM plates and work quite well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone know if Ninja 300 clutch springs will work in the 400?

Barnett's website shows the part number "501-58-03121" for both the 400, and 300.
(Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018-2019) - Barnett Tool & Engineering)
(Kawasaki Ninja 300 (2013-2017) - Barnett Tool & Engineering)

More so curious if the spring rate is the same and will work alike to the 400 upgrade, without any problems.

Yes, they're the same price as the 400 springs, however I don't fancy spending $60 on shipping to Australia, and options for the 300 are far more abundant here.

Hopefully someone can help me out!

·
Registered
196 Posts
anyone have any new updates on this....there are 5 in our group....one is at the dealership with "pronounced" slipping with about 600 miles on it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anyone know if Ninja 300 clutch springs will work in the 400?

Barnett's website shows the part number "501-58-03121" for both the 400, and 300.
(Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018-2019) - Barnett Tool & Engineering)
(Kawasaki Ninja 300 (2013-2017) - Barnett Tool & Engineering)

More so curious if the spring rate is the same and will work alike to the 400 upgrade, without any problems.

Yes, they're the same price as the 400 springs, however I don't fancy spending $60 on shipping to Australia, and options for the 300 are far more abundant here.

Hopefully someone can help me out!
I read somewhere that the reason the 400’s clutch slips at high rpm is because Kawasaki used the same springs as the 300 and they don’t clamp hard enough to handle the increase in power.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts