Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm at about 1500 miles and my clutch is slipping no matter what I do. I have adjusted it both at the lever and engine.

I was driving home from a meeting when suddenly the clutch started to slip under 1/2-3/4 throttle. I wanted to wait to get to a shopping center or gas station to pull over as I couldn't on the side of the road, no pull off. I used no more than 1/4 throttle when then it started getting worse... I got to about 200ft from a place I could pull over at and it wouldn't engage at all leaving me stranded so I pushed it the rest of the way. at the beginning of the ride, there was a very small amount of play in the lever and by the end of the ride, there was none at all.

As far as maintenance I changed the oil at about 550 miles and when I did this I adjusted the throttle and clutch free play. I changed the oil at 550 miles with the Kawasaki break in conventional 10w-40 oil and Kawasaki branded filter. I set the clutch free play to a little more than 3mm, the clutch fully disengaged when pulled in. and the throttle to about 2mm of free play. This play stayed constant and didn't fall out of adjustment. Also did the chain and adjusted it to a little more than 20mm of slack. I changed the oil again at 1400 miles with synthetic to help the trans, which it did. I used Valvoline 4T 10w-40 small engine and motorcycle oil. Then at 1500 miles, the clutch will not engage fully.

Is this covered under the Kawasaki warranty?

I don't do anything crazy and let the bike get up to temperature before I drive it spiritedly. I don't do wheelies, too scared, and occasionally slip the clutch when in traffic moving ~5mph or in a parking lot doing tight maneuvers.

Also, my water pump or thermostat housing has a small leak in it. I have not touched it at all but I noticed this when doing my 2nd oil change. The coolant level seemed fine so I left it and planned on taking it in on Friday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Might be a faulty clutch fork if the clutch lever has gone limp. Wait, you've got the opposite problem. I think they'd have to open it up, sounds like a failure of some sort that should be warrantied. It's not a high horsepower machine, the exact oil is not going to make much difference especially within 1.5k miles.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You have changed the oil are you sure its correct oil I ask, because I met a lad with same bike

and he told me he put some oil additive witched caused clutch to slip, he had to buy new clutch plates

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You have changed the oil are you sure its correct oil I ask, because I met a lad with same bike

and he told me he put some oil additive witched caused clutch to slip, he had to buy new clutch plates
I did not use any oil additives and the only oils i have used are the kawasaki break in oil and the valvoline small engine and motorcycle oil. The valvoline said it was safe on the back for wet clutches.

·
Registered
295 Posts
OK hope you get it sorted quickly ,its like losing your best friend when bikes broke
let us all know what is the problem,

·
Registered
550 Posts
This is what I would do: go back to conventional oil. If you want synthetic, try Kawasaki's S4 synthetic first.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Then let's hope dealer honors warranty and don't tell em you used non Kawi oil.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm at about 1500 miles and my clutch is slipping no matter what I do. I have adjusted it both at the lever and engine.

I was driving home from a meeting when suddenly the clutch started to slip under 1/2-3/4 throttle. I wanted to wait to get to a shopping center or gas station to pull over as I couldn't on the side of the road, no pull off. I used no more than 1/4 throttle when then it started getting worse... I got to about 200ft from a place I could pull over at and it wouldn't engage at all leaving me stranded so I pushed it the rest of the way. at the beginning of the ride, there was a very small amount of play in the lever and by the end of the ride, there was none at all.

As far as maintenance I changed the oil at about 550 miles and when I did this I adjusted the throttle and clutch free play. I changed the oil at 550 miles with the Kawasaki break in conventional 10w-40 oil and Kawasaki branded filter. I set the clutch free play to a little more than 3mm, the clutch fully disengaged when pulled in. and the throttle to about 2mm of free play. This play stayed constant and didn't fall out of adjustment. Also did the chain and adjusted it to a little more than 20mm of slack. I changed the oil again at 1400 miles with synthetic to help the trans, which it did. I used Valvoline 4T 10w-40 small engine and motorcycle oil. Then at 1500 miles, the clutch will not engage fully.

Is this covered under the Kawasaki warranty?
That is a good question - I wonder if they consider clutch pads a wear-able item like tires...?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I Really cant see why you have to set throttle and clutch lever,
I presume bike was running fine before throttle and clutch lever were adjusted. throttle and clutch lever will not move very much at all

so I think problem might be very slippy oil on clutch plates, or you have set clutch lever wrong

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it to the dealer today. They said its not covered and they had another ninja 400 with the same issue. They said the only way they would cover it is if a covered oem part was broken inside the clutch causing the discs to wear out.

As far as the lever adjustment, i did it at 600 miles because the lever had almost no freeplay and the manual says to keep it at 2-3mm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Took it to the dealer today. They said its not covered and they had another ninja 400 with the same issue. They said the only way they would cover it is if a covered oem part was broken inside the clutch causing the discs to wear out.

As far as the lever adjustment, i did it at 600 miles because the lever had almost no freeplay and the manual says to keep it at 2-3mm.
Yeah, I would assume clutch plates to be wearable..but this sure is an early wear...
So what was their rough estimate cost on repair IF they don't find something broken that caused the damage?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

That's a bit rough IMO. Did they ask or say anything about the oil you used?
Sounds like you have done nothing wrong otherwise. You haven't been abusing the clutch and you've kept your cable free play constant, so it must be an additive in that oil, but it seems unlikely as you said it was for wet clutch engines.

Commiserations, keep us posted.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If they measure the clutch friction plates are still within specs, then it's the synthetic oil not agreeing with the clutch plate compound.

If the clutch is worn out, I'd go with the Spears racing HD plates.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Na, don't think it an oil issue, in fact I'm getting ready to use an automotive oil in my next oil change, what you described sounds more like a defect in workman ship.. New cables stretch over time, and you said there was nearly no play in the cable at 600 miles... That insinuates there was no play in the cable when you got the bike.

Do you remember what color your oil was when you changed it at 600 miles...? Black indicates clutch pad wear. golden brown is what it should have been with only 600 miles.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Na, don't think it an oil issue, in fact I'm getting ready to use an automotive oil in my next oil change, what you described sounds more like a defect in workman ship..
I'm thinking the same, so it's rude that it's not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The shop quoted me around $450 in parts.

My first oil change was black.

The specific oil i used was “Valvoline Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil SAE 10w-40” 74130 50000

1 - 20 of 220 Posts