Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a brand new 2019 n400. I installed adjustable levers on the bike and am curious about a few things with the clutch cable. It looks like there is no freeplay on the clutch cable. As soon as I pull the lever the cable moves. There hasn't been an issue with shifting at all, I just don't wanna blow my clutch. Also the clutch arm on the case is not 90°s. The clutch arm goes beyond the fixed point. Any help would be aplreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a brand new 2019 n400. I installed adjustable levers on the bike and am curious about a few things with the clutch cable. It looks like there is no freeplay on the clutch cable. As soon as I pull the lever the cable moves. There hasn't been an issue with shifting at all, I just don't wanna blow my clutch. Also the clutch arm on the case is not 90°s. The clutch arm goes beyond the fixed point. Any help would be aplreciated. Thank you
Dont worry about the clutch arm down below just adjust the free play at the lever end so you have 2-3 mm of play. It's in the manual how to do it. It's a little hard to tell exactly how much free play you have on this bike because the clutch pull is so light. Too light IMO.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi!

I attempted a clutch free play adjustment as described in the manual. However, I still have about 4 to 5 mm free play and I cannot tighten it anymore. Any tips about this? I thought that I have seen somewhere a video about adjusting the cable at the clutch arm, but I am not sure where.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First, start by tightening (screw in) the upper adjuster at the hand lever most of the way. This will make your cable super loose.

Then, to tighten the cable back up, go down near the clutch cover (see picture) and loosen the nut on the left like a half of an inch (trail and error -- you want to make sure you still have 2-3mm of free play at the handle gap), and then tighten the nut on the right to compensate -- this pushes the sleeve to the right, effectively making the cable shorter.

Make sure the nuts are snug/locked.

Do this until the cable is "about right" but a bit too loose, and then finally, go back to the upper adjuster at the hand lever and back it out (tighten the cable) a bit to get your 2-3mm of free play at the handle gap exact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts