Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but i have reading since long time ago, I'm going to introduce myself here instead of in the new members section ...
Well, my name and Jota, from Spain. I have been a ninja 400 owner for 2 months, but I have read this forum for a long time.
I was thinking of going to a tuner to update my stock ECU with dyno runs. After thinking several weeks, it is better to use a power commander to avoid problems in the inspection of the vehicle (every two years I must go there to verify that my bike is authorized to drive on public roads) and, above all, avoid problems selling the bike in the future.
I have read that Power Commander offers maps for the full exhaust of popular brands (Akra, arrow ...) But I see the prices of these
Exhausts and wtf, it is very expensive for a pipe and a silencer. I searched in
AliExpress for a full exhaust and is much CHEAPER. Of course, it's just a pipe and a silencer!
I am going to buy a Chinese one and download a map from power commander website. Obviously, the Chinese exhaust is not mapped, but I think one more time... it's just a **** pipe and a silencer!
Are the maps of, for example, akrapovic and arrow so different from each other? Why just not download one of them with my full Chinese exhaust?
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
let's see if i can break this down for you quickly....to get the BEST performance and bang for your buck....high quality top brands are expensive because how they are built and the time invested to produce max HP...there are a few out there that are great and priced right like Spark...they are also built to last unlike cheap Chinese garbage....NEXT your ECU can easily be tuned/dereconstricted and then cleared back to stock with no issues ..you also get the best tune getting it dyno'd....anything you have to "download" is a basic map which is better than nothing BUT where did this map get created? where do you live? what's the elevation difference? generic maps are just that...you can get away with adding an exhaust without tuning...changing the filter to a high flow race one,which if you do the exhaust you should do the other..slip ons are expensive and waste of $$$...there's a shop way of doing things an a DYI way..all depends on how deep your pockets are and what you're trying to achieve !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know that the tuner can download the stock map again, but this is the problem. I don't have the kit for flashing the stock ECU therefore, i must go back to the tuner and pay another time.
I am agree with for getting the best performance from the engine, need to expend the money with a top brand but, do you think that a chinese crap does give not benefit? As i see, let's say spark full system gives to you +4hp expending 800$. And +3hp with chinese full system expending 100$. therefore the best value for the money is Chinese one. Let's remember that there are people that just decat the stock exhaust and here you go, a full and reliable exhaust.
honestly, i doubt that there is a huge difference from stock decat exhaust and Chinese crap.

Please, forgive my English, is worst than chinese exhausts ?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
If you want to go the cheap route then just put the Chinese full system on and dont worry about any tuning. You will still end up with a system that is lighter, looks better and hopefully sounds better. How well it runs is another story though, you may get lucky... but I wouldn't hope for much of a power gain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, but what about AFR? Even with chinese exhaust, the air flow will increase.
I'm very very curious about which numbers will throw the dyno runs with chinese exhaust. Maybe the results are surprising, for bad o for good.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Hi Jotta, I agree fully with Jetpilot and Kiwi. They are giving you their opinions from experience. I think it all comes down to what you expect from your bike. If you go back and spend a few hours searching and reading threads on cheap exhausts, you will find you get exactly what you pay. Poor performance, rusting welds etc etc. If you are OK with putting that on your bike, go for it, YOU might not to notice the difference. As far as the tune, you can get close with a PC but you will be leaving a lot on the table. For about the same price as a PC, maybe less, you can get a Norton ECU. With a cheap exhaust, I wouldn't waste money on a dyno tune. Bye the way, I think with the Woolich logbox, you can have 2 tunes, one for performance and one for emissions testing??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, you probably all of you are right... or kind of. But there are two facts that make me wondering if the chinese exhaust are as bad as "the People" says. Researching on internet I realized that the biggest "haters" of cheap or "unknown" brands are who has spend muuuch money with "X" product and can no accept that maaaybe the unknown product is not as bad. The other things are proves. I literally i can not find a dyno graph of any motorcycle that proves chinese full exhaust are crap. I just feel that all of this fear that top brands and sellers have spread out.

About norton products, i have seen it but the problem is that im no from EEUU, therefore is more difficult to get it here in Spain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Winding curves in mountain roads, 90% of the time. Usually with big slopes. Lets say my rides are quite sporty.
Btw, I hope that my previous messages have not offended anyone, is not my intention.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the bike is fun and exciting to ride the way it is STOCK ....there are people who can afford the "TOP SHELF' products who want the best of the best because of the R&D that's put in the manufacturing of these products....to each their own when it comes to how they spend their money on,BUT most guys who have been in this industry or been riding on the upper levels will tell you that cheap stuff is cheap for a reason...WE DON'T BUY CHEAP BECAUSE IT'S MADE CHEAP AND WON'T LAST !! it's pretty cut and dry..save your money and buy something of value that will last and come from a reputable company that will look good and perform !! HP gains on this bike are minimal comparing to it's bigger brothers ...when you can ride it stock and whoop up on bigger bikes,then start to add some bling and performance parts...that's my 2 cents:2cents:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
the bike is fun and exciting to ride the way it is STOCK ....there are people who can afford the "TOP SHELF' products who want the best of the best because of the R&D that's put in the manufacturing of these products....to each their own when it comes to how they spend their money on,BUT most guys who have been in this industry or been riding on the upper levels will tell you that cheap stuff is cheap for a reason...WE DON'T BUY CHEAP BECAUSE IT'S MADE CHEAP AND WON'T LAST !! it's pretty cut and dry..save your money and buy something of value that will last and come from a reputable company that will look good and perform !! HP gains on this bike are minimal comparing to it's bigger brothers ...when you can ride it stock and whoop up on bigger bikes,then start to add some bling and performance parts...that's my 2 cents:2cents:
+1 Been there done that and wasted money.
I'm not trying to justify spending $800NZD on a slip on at all, I just got stung buying inferior crap and didn't enjoy the experience, or the sound for that matter.

IMO it's not worth spending money tuning a bike to suit a cheap Chinese exhaust that probably wont last the distance.
But hey it's your money.

·
Registered
785 Posts
These bikes come very lean from the factory. A slip on will drop some weight and sound better. But a full exhaust will further lean the bike out. I went with a full system from Delkevic and an after market air filter. The bike was popping and throwing out BLUE FLAMES. Looked cool but no good for the engine. I had a custom dyno tune done to get rid of that lean condition. No more blue flames and popping. The bike was running smoother and more power!

JOTA, you will need at least a PC to dial in your bike and help with the AFR. With the full exhaust it’s a must.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, you probably all of you are right... or kind of. But there are two facts that make me wondering if the chinese exhaust are as bad as "the People" says. Researching on internet I realized that the biggest "haters" of cheap or "unknown" brands are who has spend muuuch money with "X" product and can no accept that maaaybe the unknown product is not as bad. The other things are proves. I literally i can not find a dyno graph of any motorcycle that proves chinese full exhaust are crap. I just feel that all of this fear that top brands and sellers have spread out.

About norton products, i have seen it but the problem is that im no from EEUU, therefore is more difficult to get it here in Spain.
My observation here: It looks as though you pretty much have convinced yourself into buying the Chinese system and you are here looking to see if posters can convince you otherwise.

The people that have posted pretty much have spirited rides or track days and therefore they will chime in about this particular modification because of the "power" benefits for track use. They know what they're talking about. They've tested full exhaust systems, and slip-ons, etc. They are not getting paid by these "brand name" companies and therefore have no reason to give you incorrect information.

However, I think at this point, you will only be satisfied once you go with your "gut".

You don't want to spend the extra money for the "brand-name" system as you feel they may be just that: "Brand name" and not much better quality than the Chinese system you're looking at.

That's your decision. I personally think you should buy the Chinese system, install it, and let us know how it goes! Make sure you keep your stock exhaust system though, just in case your aftermarket system fails you.

I'll be waiting to hear back from your experience! :smile:

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could probably go buy a quality exhaust used. If you need to repack your exhaust down the road the no name Chinese company wont help., You have a bad weld and there is an exhaust leak? the Chinese company wont help you. I purchased a Chinese exhaust for a Zuma scooter and it was total garbage, I literally installed it, removed it and tossed it. No name exhaust companies dont have the r&d, the technical expertise, the only thing they offer is an extremly low cost. Go find some noob that crashed his ninja 400 in spain and buy his used exhaust for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

My observation here: It looks as though you pretty much have convinced yourself into buying the Chinese system and you are here looking to see if posters can convince you otherwise.

The people that have posted pretty much have spirited rides or track days and therefore they will chime in about this particular modification because of the "power" benefits for track use. They know what they're talking about. They've tested full exhaust systems, and slip-ons, etc. They are not getting paid by these "brand name" companies and therefore have no reason to give you incorrect information.

However, I think at this point, you will only be satisfied once you go with your "gut".

You don't want to spend the extra money for the "brand-name" system as you feel they may be just that: "Brand name" and not much better quality than the Chinese system you're looking at.

That's your decision. I personally think you should buy the Chinese system, install it, and let us know how it goes! Make sure you keep your stock exhaust system though, just in case your aftermarket system fails you.

I'll be waiting to hear back from your experience!
Lol.
You've totally caught me. If finally get this Chinese crap i will write here how is going on.

·
Registered
725 Posts
ive had cheap exhaust, and i've bought top of the line systems. my opinion is, if i cannot buy the good stuff i'll just wait until i can. i don't have money to burn, and i don't blow money on things. i save up and make a smart buy. once and done...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered the chinese exhaust just for the laughs.
I Admit it, i my hobby is DIY cheapo mods even when i can afford the "right way".
So, In the next days ill write a "how to" tune the bike with only 10€.
Basically, ive calculated a NTC resistor looking at the stock IAT resistance table, which will rich the mixture about 6% and change ignition timing. "Booster plug" brand do the same but it cost 150€ lol.
The NTC resistor, 2 pin plug and full exhaust is already ordered.

PS: i will get power commander when available in Spain. All the N400 Piggy back are from EEUU, ****. I should move to eeuu.
Ps2: im going to ckeck my grammar before upload the "how to" because my current English is a shame.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ps2: im going to ckeck my grammar before upload the "how to" because my current English is a shame.
A quick looky-loo through some of our threads and posts will set your worries to rest about proper grammar. We're a pretty diverse group from all over the world, and some of US have never learned to properly use of "The Queen's English". It's all good.:geek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts