Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Ninja 400 as my first ever motorcycle. I live in Chicago on the far north side. Currently I only have street parking around my building. It's a residential area and one the better neighborhoods in the city. Does anyone have any experience with street parking around here during riding season? I'm mostly worried about the usual dangers of theft, parallel parking gone wrong, vandals, dogs peeing on it, etc.

My other two options would be to either find a private garage for rent (could be expensive around here) or garage it in the burbs with some family (this would mean taking a drive just to get to the bike).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'll be taking the MSF course in about 3 weeks so I have some time.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I know nothing about Chicago but If I was getting a first bike to park out on the street it would be a scruffy second hand model of low value, not a shiny new Ninja 400.
It's going to look so tempting to a lot of people on all sorts of levels. ie. steal, scratch, knock over, fiddle with, graffiti, what ever.
Just not worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Ninja 400 as my first ever motorcycle. I live in Chicago on the far north side. Currently I only have street parking around my building. It's a residential area and one the better neighborhoods in the city. Does anyone have any experience with street parking around here during riding season? I'm mostly worried about the usual dangers of theft, parallel parking gone wrong, vandals, dogs peeing on it, etc.

My other two options would be to either find a private garage for rent (could be expensive around here) or garage it in the burbs with some family (this would mean taking a drive just to get to the bike).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'll be taking the MSF course in about 3 weeks so I have some time.

Hi, and welcome.

Your best bet is to get comprehensive insurance. As you know, look for the best insurance rates, as they are insanely varying. And if you plan on adding mods, keep the receipts so you can add that to your premium. I guarantee you, something will happen to your bike, no matter where you live. With full coverage, you can at least have some peace of mind.

The other steps you can take are:

Park in a well lit area.

Get a waterproof bike cover. You should protect the bike from the elements and prying eyes. If it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

If you can see your bike from within your house, get a camera to record it during night hours, hence park in a well lit area.

If you live in a rental house, get a ground floor unit where you may be able to park the bike indoors.

Get a decent chain that is at least 14 mm thick, if there is a proper post or anchor nearby.

Alarm, killswitch, gps tracking.

You can add the ugliest, vomit inducing vinyl wrap to deter would be criminals.

Place a baggy of crack on the seat, so the junkies will take that instead of the bike.

You can get the whole nine yards for security, only if they don't outweigh the cost of renting a garage.

Have fun and be safe.

Reactions: ozzymoto and Fuby

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

Your best bet is to get comprehensive insurance. As you know, look for the best insurance rates, as they are insanely varying. And if you plan on adding mods, keep the receipts so you can add that to your premium. I guarantee you, something will happen to your bike, no matter where you live. With full coverage, you can at least have some peace of mind.

The other steps you can take are:

Park in a well lit area.

Get a waterproof bike cover. You should protect the bike from the elements and prying eyes. If it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

If you can see your bike from within your house, get a camera to record it during night hours, hence park in a well lit area.

If you live in a rental house, get a ground floor unit where you may be able to park the bike indoors.

Get a decent chain that is at least 14 mm thick, if there is a proper post or anchor nearby.

Alarm, killswitch, gps tracking.

You can add the ugliest, vomit inducing vinyl wrap to deter would be criminals.

Place a baggy of crack on the seat, so the junkies will take that instead of the bike.

You can get the whole nine yards for security, only if they don't outweigh the cost of renting a garage.

Have fun and be safe.
All great suggestions. I would also like to add a disc lock with a motion alarm. Definitely keep it covered, not only will it help with the elements but it is a slight deterrent to would be thief's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Ninja 400 as my first ever motorcycle. I live in Chicago

True story... Chicago was my first 35 years of life... things happen.. So we are talking back to 1981 here? and we know Chicago just got worse during the years since.. My Cousin liked the KZ650 I was riding and went out and bought a brand new CSR 650 in Red when they came out.. He parked his in his own yard as I did mine, One night he heard noises and looked out to see 4 guys actually PICK UP his bike still locked up but not to anything and put it in the back of a pickup and drive off.. never to be seen again.. There is no safe place outside for a bike anyplace in Chicago area.. Get replacement Insurance and if at all possible store it inside. Good Luck and safe travels..

Side note.. His new Bike was my first mistake I ever did on my bike with "not putting down the kickstand".. Was just one of those things..

We both pulled up to a nice lake setting after a ride.. I got off my bike.. He parked his 2-3 week old bike right next to mine.. I walked away about 30 feet...He got off his.. I have no Idea how my Bike stood there..lol.. looked back and my bike fell into his knocking them both over.. and scratching his tank.. he never said a bad word about it... and I will "never forget" doing it..sigh.. lesson learned..

Oh btw, the sweet summer rides remembered running up and down lake shore drive from skokie north to the museum of science and industry south.. out weigh any bad experiences with bikes in Chicago.. was a beautiful city for those fast burst moments!! no helmets.. tennis shoes.. teeshirts and stupid grins all the way..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! Good info. I think the plan is going to be to store the bike in the burbs where it can be kept safe in a garage I have access to 24/7. Until I can secure some kind of nearby storage or just move it'll be a weekend rider only which is fine for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts