Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys jsut wondering can a 180 tire fit on this bike stock parts or no? Whats the widest tire i can put on the rear and link please? I saw one of you put a 160 tire on the rear and forgot who but did you have to mod anything for it to worl? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Member @emudshit has a 160 on his bike and I think this is a realistic maximum width.

If you did manage to some how shoe horn a 180 on to the standard 4 inch rim the tyres natural profile will be changed as the tyre beads will be pinched inwards. This provides less sidewall support. The shape of the tyre will be taller like a light bulb and will be more easily deformed during cornering.

Also there is only 3/4 inch clearance between the side of the OEM tyre and the chain when on the side stand, this may not be enough for a 180 when loaded.

Personal opinion: Better to buy a ZX6R rather than try to make a 400 look like one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Member @emudshit has a 160 on his bike and I think this is a realistic maximum width.

If you did manage to some how shoe horn a 180 on to the standard 4 inch rim the tyres natural profile will be changed as the tyre beads will be pinched inwards. This provides less sidewall support. The shape of the tyre will be taller like a light bulb and will be more easily deformed during cornering.

Also there is only 3/4 inch clearance between the side of the OEM tyre and the chain when on the side stand, this may not be enough for a 180 when loaded.

Personal opinion: Better to buy a ZX6R rather than try to make a 400 look like one.
I will have to wait for my zx10r untill next summe so my funds can get up :crying:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will have to wait for my zx10r untill next summe so my funds can get up :crying:
So you made up your mind about your next bike? Great!

Are you planning to buy used or new?
Don't forget to get an insurance quote on your target bike before you buy it. It can be steep.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you made up your mind about your next bike? Great!

Are you planning to buy used or new?
Don't forget to get an insurance quote on your target bike before you buy it. It can be steep.
Yes! Brand new zx10r but I only need liability so insurance is pretty cheap I will be selling my 400 at the end of this summer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes! Brand new zx10r but I only need liability so insurance is pretty cheap I will be selling my 400 at the end of this summer
Good choice, i'm in the same boat. Just need insurance to stay legal, the rest I can take care of, unless this was some $50,000 Ninja H2... then it would be a different story.
Hopefully you don't have too many crazy cagers where you live.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good choice, i'm in the same boat. Just need insurance to stay legal, the rest I can take care of, unless this was some $50,000 Ninja H2... then it would be a different story.
Hopefully you don't have too many crazy cagers where you live.
What bike are you getting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Changing the tyre size for Ninja 400

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and riding motorcycle. Since Ninja 400 is my first bike, I don't know much about the effects of changing the tyre size on my bike compare to stock.

Stock tyre size are:
Front: 110/70 R 17
Rear: 150/60 R 17

New tyre size:
Front: 110/70 R 17 or 120/70 R 17
Rear: 150/70 R 17

I am thinking about changing the stock tyres which are Dunlop GPR 300 to sport touring tyres such as Michelin Road 5, Pirelli Angle GT and Bridgestone Battlex T 31 when the time comes. When I was talking with the dealer last weekend he told me that I can't change my stock tyres to the tyres that I've mentioned because those tyres don't come in 110/70 Front (Road 5 and Angle GT) and 150/60 Rear. I was also told that changing the tyres to 120/70 Front and 150/70 Rear could affect the ABS on the bike.

The question is can I change the front tyre size from 110/70 to 120/70 and the rear tyre size from 150/60 to 150/70 without having an affect on the ABS? Since the speedometer is 3 kph off the new tyres' size should make the speedometer accurate IMO.

Have anyone change their tyre to taller profile without any problem?

Thanks in Advance :whatdoyouthink:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
@Hyperbeast Unless I'm missing something then i cant see how changing the rear tyres profile or front tyres width can affect the ABS systems operation.
I haven't done it though.

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is true. Changing tire profile from stock dimensions may cause issues involving inaccuracies in the speedometer reading vs. actual speed. By dimensions, I'm referring to the overall diameter of wheel plus tire. So, when the overall diameter of the replacement tire deviates from OEM diameter (there is some tolerance), and in exceeding diameter tolerance, will result in false speedometer reading, and will trigger a DTC involving ABS and wheel speed sensors. It is similar to instances of drive sprocket changes. And can be compounded or "repaired" with sprocket changes.

I've no idea what the diameter tolerances are.

Be careful when changing tire profiles, could result in headaches.

PS, Stock tires are inexpensive and pretty darn good in terms of performance.

Reactions: Teorist

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Kiwi Rider Yea, that what I was thinking at first. Since this is my first bike, I'm asking if others have change their tyres' width and/or profile. The speed sensor for Ninja 400 is on the rear wheel though. I think changing the tyre profile and/or width should only affect the speedometer, not the ABS. But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The 400 can clear a 180 without modifying the swingarm... I almost find this hard to believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys jsut wondering can a 180 tire fit on this bike stock parts or no? Whats the widest tire i can put on the rear and link please? I saw one of you put a 160 tire on the rear and forgot who but did you have to mod anything for it to worl? Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is this real stock rim of ninja 400 can be fit size 180 tire? is this safe?
I wholeheartedly believe you will have, at the very least, issues with chain clearance. I have a 180 on the rear now (swing arm swap) and had to use an offset sprocket to move the chain out enough to clear everything and get good alignment.

Hey now... What are you saying here? Almost 2 years ago... :unsure:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't say for the street. I can say I think its a waste to go for a tire that big.

It's not my money so you do what you feel is right for you and your bike.

I know going down to a 140 makes the bike feel like it's on rails at the track

I have a friend with an R3 with a 180 on the back, he bought it used that way. It looks cool, but I am sure it corners like an old tuna boat cadillac.

·
Registered
1 Posts

my friend in indonesia did change to size 180 . Follow his ig so you can ask him detail. ig: ajichunkz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts