Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im usually pretty spot on with chain maintenance, but due to me having to go to the parents place to do it, ive been lazy and ive been overdue for probably 500 miles. Im sitting hear degreasing my bike, and when i started spinning the wheel, i noticed a thudding noise, sounded like it came from the rear axel but couldnt pin point. It happened maybe 3 times per full chain revolution. After a few revolutions during brushing/degreasing, the noise went away.

bike has 13,500 on the original chain. Doesnt really see dirt. Ill probably replace

any idea what it can be? Kink in the chain, wonky bearing? Im not very knowledgeable on the nitty gritty, so im kind of guesstimating what i know.

*might by a secondary rear stand so i can do mini jobs at the apartment.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My OEM chain had stiff joints at 14k mi. and I think I am good at chain maintenance. Rarely go over 300 350 mi without some attention.
ZZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Old high mileage chains will begin to see significant stretch. This “stretch” is actually just the wearing down of the pins and bushings.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old high mileage chains will begin to see significant stretch. This “stretch” is actually just the wearing down of the pins and bushings.
It doesnt really need adjustment, and it’s not that far back on the adjustment bolt. I presume it’s more so the pins/links thats may be stressed and not literally stretched haha.
Ive been waiting to get them changed! I heard a good aftermarket chain + sprockets will make a significant difference. Which i agree as my n300 had a standard chain and that thing felt quick for a 300. Prob up 2 teeth in the rear to hopefully keep the gear indicator and stuff in spec.

·
Registered
251 Posts
:cool: I think 10k would be a good time for replacement and ft sprocket check, on my Ktm 690 Duke I just hit 8k and the chain is doing good, I replaced it early on with a +2 teeth on the rear, It was geared to the moon o_O(y)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am more than 14k kilometers and barely streched at all. And I can go another 14 easily. It's all about the way you ride....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am more than 14k kilometers and barely streched at all. And I can go another 14 easily. It's all about the way you ride....
Yea ive only had to really tighten the chain once since ive owned it. Stretching isnt the issue, i think the rollers/pins/links are just worn or failing.
But definitely increased wear compared to the regular commuter. I dont really snap the throttle open or closed abruptly, but the bike does see high revs majority of the time.
Ref - im at roughly 21k km

·
Vendor
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS
29 Posts
You've put almost 14k on that chain, and your profile photo shows you at the track, but you've only adjusted it once, and now you're hearing an odd thumping noise while cleaning. That's more than enough to be pretty sure that chains done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've put almost 14k on that chain, and your profile photo shows you at the track, but you've only adjusted it once, and now you're hearing an odd thumping noise while cleaning. That's more than enough to be pretty sure that chains done.
Lol ive read threads here previously that people had their oem chain last 13k miles with some track time (some 20k if no track time). Given that I got my bike used, the first 6k the bike saw was extremely conservative, and that ive only done 1.5 track days, felt like id be okay with a little more time.
I was originally going to swap it out at the 13-15k mark. I usually put very few miles on the bike (like 25-100 a month), but my new job + sudden return to the office multiplied that by 10+. Kinda threw me off how many miles I picked up. Chain + valve check sooner than I expected.
Also I never owned a bike long enough to need to have the chain swapped, so good to know general life expectancy + symptoms; im glad yall confirmed that chains make that thumping noise, first time ive heard that! I was once told youre generally okay until you max out the chain adjustment nut, and im far from it. Im sure that’s someetimes the case with good quality chains and more subtle riding.

·
Director of Moderation
2,641 Posts
I was once told youre generally okay until you max out the chain adjustment nut, and im far from it. Im sure that’s someetimes the case with good quality chains and more subtle riding.
Lol no way, whoever told you that was clueless. The chain adjustment allows for different size of sprockets to be put on so depending what size sprocket you have, you may have just a few mm of adjustment left or like 30 mm. If you look in the service manual, their suggested test for checking chain stretch is to measure out the length of 20 link. It should be somewhere around 317.5 - 318 mm. If it's 319 or over they say you should change it. But another indication is the links bind up and you get joints that don't move like they should and when they go over the sprockets they make the noise that you're hearing. Longevity of a chain is not fixed. It all depends on how you ride, the environment where you ride, how often you clean and lubricate the chain, what type of chain it is, and even how much you way (the heavier you are the more tension the chain sees on acceleration).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol no way, whoever told you that was clueless. The chain adjustment allows for different size of sprockets to be put on so depending what size sprocket you have, you may have just a few mm of adjustment left or like 30 mm. If you look in the service manual, their suggested test for checking chain stretch is to measure out the length of 20 link. It should be somewhere around 317.5 - 318 mm. If it's 319 or over they say you should change it. But another indication is the links bind up and you get joints that don't move like they should and when they go over the sprockets they make the noise that you're hearing. Longevity of a chain is not fixed. It all depends on how you ride, the environment where you ride, how often you clean and lubricate the chain, what type of chain it is, and even how much you way (the heavier you are the more tension the chain sees on acceleration).
Figured lol. It was a shop owner i used to get my tires changed when i first started riding. Im getting a 14/44 sprocket + EK x-ring chain put on next weekend. With a better sealed chain, spirited riding, good maintenance, and probably 2-5 track days on a chain, what would you estimate the life of that chain would be? Not sure how big of a factor this is, but Im averaging 160 these days.

·
Director of Moderation
2,641 Posts
Figured lol. It was a shop owner i used to get my tires changed when i first started riding. Im getting a 14/44 sprocket + EK x-ring chain put on next weekend. With a better sealed chain, spirited riding, good maintenance, and probably 2-5 track days on a chain, what would you estimate the life of that chain would be? Not sure how big of a factor this is, but Im averaging 160 these days.
No idea. I don't really know all the different chain models since there are so many. I also don't consider longevity of a chain that important. They last quite a while relative to other things. So whether it's 5000 miles or 15000 miles, it's all the same IMO. They're not too expensive to swap out, and despite what the general recommendation is, you DON'T have to change the sprockets at the same time unless they show a lot of wear. In the last 10 years and 9 bikes I've owned I've never had to replace a sprocket because of wear so far. Although I may have to with my 41T Vortex aluminum sprocket since I've put that one to a lot of use so far.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No idea. I don't really know all the different chain models since there are so many. I also don't consider longevity of a chain that important. They last quite a while relative to other things. So whether it's 5000 miles or 15000 miles, it's all the same IMO. They're not too expensive to swap out, and despite what the general recommendation is, you DON'T have to change the sprockets at the same time unless they show a lot of wear. In the last 10 years and 9 bikes I've owned I've never had to replace a sprocket because of wear so far. Although I may have to with my 41T Vortex aluminum sprocket since I've put that one to a lot of use so far.
I had the same thought, all my bike sprockets always looked like they were almost in new condition. Or maybe not new but the ridges were deep and not shaped to a point. Main reason I am is the kit was pretty cheap and i wanted a some more pep with the bigger rear.
Yeah 220$ with labor isnt that bad at all. Moreso something to keep in mind so it doesnt surprise me when im doing a cleaning. Although it doesnt honestly matter at that point haha.
Id be happy to get 10-15k, but if it’s less, nothing i can do about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts