Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I bought my Ninja 400 in March 2020, and I'm using it as my daily commute. I already rode 9500 k.m. Yesterday when I'm coming back home I broke my chain. There was no issue at all, no weird sounds or anything, just "clank" and broke. I have cleaned my chain a month back as well.

So did anyone has the same issue like this? Is this a common problem? Because I've never heard that chain breaks like in only in 10000 k.m. I've put some photos as well.
Please guys let me know.

Registered
**** man that's f up, At least you're ok.
I am on 13,000 km's and none near that situation.
BTW, those same frame sliders bended my frame tube when I took a slide. Might take them off.

Registered
I have no answer, never seen a link break like this. Usually the post and rollers break or a master link fails. Glad you're are ok but your plastic parts took a beating. Guess I'll start shopping for a new chain soon. Thanks for sharing.

Registered
A lot of folks here are using the D.I.D
Brand chains. There are a couple of choices in that brand. I like the ones i used
馃悏 馃悏

Registered
Glad you are ok!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no answer, never seen a link break like this. Usually the post and rollers break or a master link fails. Glad you're are ok but your plastic parts took a beating. Guess I'll start shopping for a new chain soon. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, I'm totally okay... Have to replace the whole left side now...

Registered
RX135 RD350 ZX12R VFR800 999 YZ250 SXV550 GSA1200 EXC500 RD400 FE390 Tiger800 R6 390 N400
That sucks and could've been really dangerous. I've heard a couple of instances of chains breaking but mostly on dirt bikes or a dragster throwing a chain.

I kinda have to point this out that your chain shows a lot of rust spots which points to a lack of maintenance/lubrication certainly leading to accelerated wear. Quality chain/sprocket set and regular cleaning/lubing weekly and/or 500~800 kms is generally good practice.

Registered
That sucks and could've been really dangerous. I've heard a couple of instances of chains breaking but mostly on dirt bikes or a dragster throwing a chain.

I kinda have to point this out that your chain shows a lot of rust spots which points to a lack of maintenance/lubrication certainly leading to accelerated wear. Quality chain/sprocket set and regular cleaning/lubing weekly and/or 500~800 kms is generally good practice.
@Saurabh Sutradhar, do you live near the ocean? Salt from the water can get in the air and can cause premature rust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You are right, I cleaned the chain about a month ago...but after I didn't ride that much so I thought it will be fine...but that was a mistake I guess...馃槶

1 - 20 of 35 Posts