Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thing is the lower CBR's have always under performed compared to the competition so I don't expect this one to do better than the N400.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha honda wants a piece of the 400 band wagon.
Lol its just coming full circle as usual, Yamaha will be next and so on.

Thing is the lower CBR's have always under performed compared to the competition so I don't expect this one to do better than the N400.
Performance is not necessarily king above all else - As you suggest the CBR may not preform as well as the Ninja 400 in certain areas but it will in others, Id still buy one thou. Honda makes a nice product.... All the bikes brands seem to get more sophisticated and better looking with each new model.

It was an easy choice to get the ninja 400 cause it was available and I was in the market..! Had all the mainstream brands had 400's the outcome may have been different.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parade guys but this isn't a new bike from Honda.

I'm still fairly up on the Honda's after a couple of years as Mod on the CBR300 site.

This isn't the first time this bike has caused confusion to be fair, not helped by those BS Indian websites reporting crap like this all the time.

The bike is a run of the mill boring old CBR500R (released in 2103 then given a facelift last year) that was sleeved down to 399cc for the Japanese domestic market.
It's something to do with coming in under some 400cc insurance or registration threshold or something like that.

So, the 500R's biggest down fall is it's 428lb (194kg) curb weight while only putting out 47HP. So you can imagine what reducing it's capacity to 399cc does for it! Same porky weight with even less power. The N400 would absolutely walk all over it in a roll on comp. :biggrin:

I doubt this bike is even going to be released in India. Here's an article from a similar style Indian website from 5 years ago claiming the same...

Honda developing CBR400R for India - Overdrive

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah I was going to ask if it was a sleeved 471cc Honda 500 engine [it's short-stroked, that's actually an interesting engine]. How did it lose only 1 hp? (47 -> 46). Does it still weigh 425 lbs?

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can still say it, just gotta use $ for 'S' :devil:
not only is it heavy but on the dyno its actually only around 41hp to the wheel :/ I think if honda could get the bike down to 160kgs it would be a dream bike but honda is more about reliability rather than performance especially in this class

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
How did it lose only 1 hp? (47 -> 46). Does it still weigh 425 lbs?
Same weight, the 46HP is just more speculative BS reporting.

not only is it heavy but on the dyno its actually only around 41hp to the wheel :/ I think if honda could get the bike down to 160kgs it would be a dream bike but honda is more about reliability rather than performance especially in this class
You can get an SV650 or Ninja 650 that weighs the same but has loads more go or a MT/FZ-07 that weighs even less and would eat the CBR for breakfast.
Yeah it's a pretty typical Honda bike, solid and reliable if not a touch boring. But that's only my opinion.

The CBR250RR though, now that's an interesting Honda model!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts