Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go install race springs into clutch and noticed the inner hub is cast alloy and appears to be poor quality work - it has seams/cracks (very minor) which show this.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this or had issue with it?

As a side note, i decided i would rather just replace the entire clutch with a race clutch to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Went to go install race springs into clutch and noticed the inner hub is cast alloy and appears to be poor quality work - it has seams/cracks (very minor) which show this.

As a side note, i decided i would rather just replace the entire clutch with a race clutch to be on the safe side.
Do you have any pictures you could share of the cracks?

·
Registered
450 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone having any breakage problems with the clutch. I've given mine a very heavy workout over 12,000km of wheelies, constant hard launches and such, more clutch use than normal riding would probably ever do. So I'm very curious to see if these are actually defects.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't heard of anyone having any breakage problems with the clutch. I've given mine a very heavy workout over 12,000km of wheelies, constant hard launches and such, more clutch use than normal riding would probably ever do. So I'm very curious to see if these are actually defects.
to be fair, i have done 20k on it, and im not easy on throttle.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah post up some pictures when you can, I wonder if its the normal defects you see with typical casting; lines/seams that look like cracks, or dog hair was in the mold when they cast it, other burrs or imperfections, etc.

In this day and age, cheaper methods and labor being used, its pretty normal if its what I think it is......and typically not a big concern in these smaller bikes that would never put out the torque or power capable of breaking one apart...

You could always step up to a Yoyodyne or EVR slipper clutch.......of course it still uses the OEM basket..... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry not had time to take pics - and im on the bike all weekend (the other bike that is).I saw the weird marks, and son is an engineer by trade and has worked on a lot of heavy duty engines including doing his own casting was the one who said manufacture defects.
Was at mechanics today with new bike getting suspension and he said its not entirely uncommon that the odd one has casting issues, hes seen a few come in - usually shows up as an issue once you have done a good few kms if it has it.

Anyway new clutch is on its way from spears (ps those they are awesome).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, that's what happens when that stuff is no longer made in Japan, the USA, Germany, or some other respectable manufacturing facility....of course the labor and parts cost more when it is, but yeah these were probably made by someone at facility that looks 3rd world-ish.......

·
Registered
450 Posts
Would those parts still be regarded as acceptable in this application? I'm not an expert on casting. I know they can be rough and manufacturers compensate for air pockets and potential weakness by using more material, meaning a heavier part.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Last time I replaced a clutch was my '89 FJ1200, (With 88K mi.) and as I recall the clutch hub was similar. I don't think they're under a lot of stress, so they just use crude castings. Besides, you aren't supposed to be look'in in there! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts