Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought my ninja 400 and loving every bit of it except the bumpy ride on the freeway. Bought a softer shock spring from Race Tech just to found out that the 2020 rear spring is shorter than '18&'19. Help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What i found out from Race Tech is that the shock in the '18 & '19 is longer than the one on the '20. Will the current GSXR's shock fit in the '20 ninja 400?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Another option if they cant provide you with a longer shock spring is to put a spacer on top of the spring you have now to take up the slack.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What i found out from Race Tech is that the shock in the '18 & '19 is longer than the one on the '20. Will the current GSXR's shock fit in the '20 ninja 400?
If the 20' shocks mounts exactly like the 18-19' shock, yes.

If the 20 shock eye to eye is shorter than the 18/19 shock, and not just the spring is shorter, than you will also be closer to the correct length as the GSXR shock was 5-10mm shorter if I remember right

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to Kaw's parts diagrams, both the '18 and the '20 use the same shock, 45014-0605-37S. I would find it very strange for them to change something like that, as it would require other changes to not affect a number of other things on the bike.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
According to Kaw's parts diagrams, both the '18 and the '20 use the same shock, 45014-0605-37S. I would find it very strange for them to change something like that, as it would require other changes to not affect a number of other things on the bike.

+1. This is unlikely. Not sure where Racetech got that from. And if it is shorter then how much by?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I brought a Race Tech Spring and my shock to their shop last week and the head technician show me that the spring that is on the system for my bike it's too long for my shock, one and a half inch longer. It doesn't make sense why they change the size of the shock only after 2 years unless there was something wrong with the previous generation shock or maybe cost-effective

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the advices, i just ordered a current generation GSXR's shock mint condition from ebay. Will be here in a week

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm questioning whether Kawasaki changed the shock or whether RaceTech has the wrong spring listed in their system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Louie, the head technician at Race Tech took down all the measurements from my stock shock spring. He tried to look in their inventory for a spring that would match and he still couldn't find one. He called Eibach factory which is 3-4 miles from them and they couldn't find one either. If you look on Ohlin's website their shocks are for '18 and '19 ninja 400, but nothing for '20.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i alwsys take RT web info on shocks etc... with a grain of salt
Of the late I have as well.......found out lately on the newer stuff they have been wrong...not sure what happened........maybe they hired a bunch of millennials and all the OCD old farts retired? lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
The spring on my '18 (without taking the assembly apart) is pretty close in size to the 250/500 springs I have sitting here, just eyeballing it. I've never seen any replacement springs for these little Ninjas that don't require spacers and such to fit. Their spring is much narrower than other brands and "standard" replacement springs. (A common issue with replacement shocks/springs on the older models is fitting the new spring through the swingarm.) I think it's much more likely that Racetech made a mistake or has bad data than Kaw changing the size of a part that affects a bunch of other suspension stuff without even updating the part number.

From what I've seen in the past, by the time you buy the spring and all the stuff needed to make it fit the OEM shock, you're halfway to the price of a basic aftermarket shock/spring. Even if you buy the fancy Spears shock mounts ($90) and Norton ECU tray brackets ($35) to go along with it, the GSXR shock will probably still be cheaper than the total to respring the stocker (looks like RT charges $135 for just the spring), and you'll end up with a 3-way adjustable shock vs. the crappy non-adjustable OEM shock (which no longer even matches the spring installed on it).

If you could get a donor spring for free/cheap that dropped right onto the stock shock and matched your weight perfectly, it may be worthwhile. But with the GSXR shocks being dirt cheap and essentially drop-in, I personally couldn't see paying full price for a new spring plus the parts and labor to make it fit the stock shock.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Now the GSXR shock is going to put you back in the same boat, with it being too stiff, but you can easily find other springs softer that fit it(someone on here did just that and I forget which spring they swapped it with from another OEM shock)...but the main thing is going to be adjustments for rebound, damping and etc. that can take the harshness out of the ride and allow the shock to actually function better with in its range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bro suggested that since the GSXR 750 rear shock that I am getting is heavier than ninja 400, i might want to get a spring that is one level softer than the one suggested for my weight. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts