Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Did I buy sh*tty gear?

• Some of it is sh*t, the rest is good

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get a baby Ninja for the last 10 years, and now that I finally moved away from Toronto and all its traffic, it finally made sense to pull the trigger. Thanks to COVID and the closure of the licensing offices and rider safety courses, my first riding season will start in August (and will end whenever the first snowfall is). Nonetheless I have just purchased a 2020 Ninja 400 ABS in 'passion red' and can't wait to start learning on it!!

I've ordered all my gear (links below) and have tried to be economical about it, so we'll see what will need to get upgraded for next season. I'll probably invest in some more expensive leather gear at some point. I work long hours and so this will be for occasional, casual use.

Now just thinking about what mods I want to make. All I know so far is that I want a tinted windscreen and frame sliders... any suggestions?

Helmet: LS2 Rapid Crypt
Jacket 1: Tourmaster Intake Air 4.0
Back protector: Klim D3O Viper Stealth
Jacket 2: Alpinestars Bionic Action
Gloves: BILT Spirit 2
Pants: Scorpion Covert Jeans
Hip armour: Icon D3O LP1
Knee Armour: Scorpion SAS-Tec SC-1/02
Boots: Alpinestars Sektor Waterproof

3187efcf-4b03-4cf7-ab2a-871302ac8812.jpg

Premium Member
Welcome., 'n nice scoot. All that gear sounds fine to me.
As far a mods go, depends what you wanta do? commute, sport tour, rip the twisties? Heated grips are nice, and since yer bike'll be outta commission whilst it's all frozen up there, you'll wanta battery tender, 'n since you have a battery tender, you should get a heated jacket. Think I have a First Gear heated jacket?
If you want performance, a full pipe, K&N, and ECU flash'll wake the little Ninja up. 馃榿

Registered
Have you tried on the gloves?

I'm not a fan of most BiLT products but if they fit you well then that's great.

For the price, I'm skeptical of the protection it provides but again, if it fits well then that's important to note.

It's all give and take with gear, mixing crash protection, weather protection, comfort and price. Theres an unknown sweet spot between a full leather one piece race suit and mesh basketball shorts with sandals.

Registered
Welcome!

You'll like heated grips. They greatly extend my riding season in the northern US. 馃ザ I've even used them on cold(ish) mornings in the southern US. Other accessories will depend on how you wind up using your bike.

And as Banjoboy said, a Battery Tender or other brand battery charger will be needed for winter storage. You'll also want to put some fuel stabilizer or protectant in your gas tank and ride the bike long enough for it to work into the fuel injectors. I've been happy with Sea Foam, some folks use Sta-Bil.

There's tons of informative threads on this site, and a few just for fun. :)

Registered
Welcome to the site. The solid red looks good! That version didn鈥檛 make it down here for some reason. We got the blue one though. It鈥檚 weird how manufacturers do that...

Gear choice is all a personal preference. Its always a fine balance between style, quality, and value and up to you to decide which of the 3 are most important...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome., 'n nice scoot. All that gear sounds fine to me.
As far a mods go, depends what you wanta do? commute, sport tour, rip the twisties? Heated grips are nice, and since yer bike'll be outta commission whilst it's all frozen up there, you'll wanta battery tender, 'n since you have a battery tender, you should get a heated jacket. Think I have a First Gear heated jacket?
If you want performance, a full pipe, K&N, and ECU flash'll wake the little Ninja up. 馃榿
Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I forgot about the battery tender... adding to the list! Haven't decided on an exhaust system yet though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Theres an unknown sweet spot between a full leather one piece race suit and mesh basketball shorts with sandals.

I'm not a fan of most BiLT products but if they fit you well then that's great.

For the price, I'm skeptical of the protection it provides but again, if it fits well then that's important to note.

It's all give and take with gear, mixing crash protection, weather protection, comfort and price. Theres an unknown sweet spot between a full leather one piece race suit and mesh basketball shorts with sandals.
Gloves arrive on Monday so... fingers crossed :sneaky: lol I think you're right about that sweet spot. Guess you just figure it out as you go

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!

You'll like heated grips. They greatly extend my riding season in the northern US. 馃ザ I've even used them on cold(ish) mornings in the southern US. Other accessories will depend on how you wind up using your bike.

And as Banjoboy said, a Battery Tender or other brand battery charger will be needed for winter storage. You'll also want to put some fuel stabilizer or protectant in your gas tank and ride the bike long enough for it to work into the fuel injectors. I've been happy with Sea Foam, some folks use Sta-Bil.

There's tons of informative threads on this site, and a few just for fun. :)
Thanks Baxter, adding the heated grips and fuel stabilizer to my list... Someone mentioned that to me early on, but it's information overload at the beginning.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the site. The solid red looks good! That version didn鈥檛 make it down here for some reason. We got the blue one though. It鈥檚 weird how manufacturers do that...

Gear choice is all a personal preference. Its always a fine balance between style, quality, and value and up to you to decide which of the 3 are most important...
Thanks Boat! Agreed. We only got the blue one here for 2018.

Registered
2020 KRT Ninja 400 ABS
Welcome to the addiction.
Maxima 3 pack cleaner, PPL and chain wax and a 360 degree chain brush. Also a vortex rear spool stand and spools. I put the Shogun sliders on mine and I like them a lot.

Premium Member
Dun had a little 60 mph git off back in 2013, whilst wear'in Bilt gloves; broke my little pinky finger, 'n the palm wore through, resulting in sum rash. My racer friends say that's un-exceptable, but I kept wear'in Bilt gloves 'til I found Hugger Gloves they're reasonably priced 'n fit well.

Registered
Welcome.. good color choice.. the red ninjas look good..

I have a pair of bilt gloves and they seem to be holding up well.

My opinion is that your really only paying for the name on the fancier gloves. However I have been eyeballing some reax and alpinestar gloves in white lately but thier only like 20 bucks more then my bilts were.

Registered
:cool: Welcome to the site and , sure is a purrdy color for sure,I have a LS2 brain bucket also, and a Scorpion one that I have my Packtalk slim mounted on at the moment, enjoy the ride and be safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts