Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going interstate with the bike, or maybe just a weekend camping trip. Has anyone done this?
I just need a way to carry stuffs and I couldn't find saddle bags that fit the bike and maybeeee better seat, I rode 4 hours last weekend and was surprisingly ok so I guess the seat is low priority. I actually haven't done any long trip with luggage before so still don't know how this would work.
Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Relatively small tank and tail bags are your best bet on this bike.

The bike can certainly tour, the question is can the rider... On the upside, you've already proven you can handle the seat and riding position for a relatively long haul. As long as you can pack light enough to fit what you need between relatively small tank and tail bags, go for it!

I forget which thread, but someone recently posted up a pic and brand / model info on what looked to be a pretty nice / reasonably priced tail bag.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Kiwi Rider took a long trip and I'm sure he can provide you his insight/experiences. It definitely seems possible and enjoyable with the right luggage setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Relatively small tank and tail bags are your best bet on this bike.

The bike can certainly tour, the question is can the rider... On the upside, you've already proven you can handle the seat and riding position for a relatively long haul. As long as you can pack light enough to fit what you need between relatively small tank and tail bags, go for it!

I forget which thread, but someone recently posted up a pic and brand / model info on what looked to be a pretty nice / reasonably priced tail bag.

I believe the post you are looking for is this one:
http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum...do-your-2018-kawasaki-ninja-400-today-16.html

I got some soft luggage, and I test-mounted it on the bike:

Chase Harper 450 Magnetic Tank Bag:

Chase Harper 5501 Tail Bag:

Seems to fit pretty well, and not overwhelmingly large on the bike:

I haven't taken a trip that would require storage, in quite some time....maybe even 10 years. But I'd like to get away for 2-3 of days soon, and this should offer plenty for that. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's a very nice set up. I don't think the N400 will have any trouble touring. Last long trip I did was two up on my old RD400, and you can tour on anything if you're keen enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just took a 4 hour round trip with my new n400. Bike did great on the highway was able to stay around 75mph for most of the trip. I did notice however it seems to be to geared for lower speeds to get that great economy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode about 1400 miles in 3 days, mostly through windy WV back roads. The N400 did great. My only luggage was a Ventura Rack/Pack.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Last long trip I did was two up on my old RD400, and you can tour on anything if you're keen enough.
A friend rode his Suzuki GS450 from Oklahoma City to San Francisco and back again several times many years ago. 500s are considered starter bikes these days, but they used to be full-sized bikes that you worked your way up to having, and then you did everything with them.

IIRC Robert Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) did his touring in the book on a CB77 Honda (305cc) with his son as passenger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts