Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The easy way is to cut the rubber off and thread it on by rotating. The hard way is to remove your cable from the clutch arm, remove the rubber and slide the cable through it.
🐉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The easy way is to cut the rubber off and thread it on by rotating. The hard way is to remove your cable from the clutch arm, remove the rubber and slide the cable through it.
🐉
Oh I didn’t think of that, thank you!!!! I’m going to grab some scissors now lol.

·
Director of Moderation
2,513 Posts
🐉
Oh I didn’t think of that, thank you!!!! I’m going to grab some scissors now lol.
I'm gonna say the opposite and say that the easier method is by removing the cable. Although the even easier method is to get a tension spring instead of a compression spring and hook it to that linkage arm. No need to cut or disassemble anything :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
It really isn't at all difficult to loosen the clutch cable and install the spring. You can see how I fit mine with spacers and washers here.

Essentially you just:
  1. Loosen the cable by:
    a) at the engine end loosen the forward-most bolt all of the way up such that the bolt that has the cable running through it can be wiggled backward.
    b) on the handlebars, screw in the adjuster screw that holds the cable into the lever. Move that screw as close to the lever handle as possible and align the openings on the adjuster screw.
  2. Remove the cable at the bar end by pulling it out of the adjuster screw, pull the inner cable so that it faces forward (coming directly out of the lever), then pull it out downwards.
  3. Remove the cable at the engine end by pushing it and its holder towards the back and popping out the nipple.
  4. Fit your spring and reverse the process.
That sure is harded to explain than do - it takes 5 minutes! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
If I did all that, I would also take a few minutes to lube the cable as well.

What kind of spring is that? I am interested to put one as well but not sure what kind I should buy.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You know that song by AC/DC ‘Highway To ****’? They wrote that song about lubing Teflon lined cables. Once you start down that road they are gooped up for life. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lol! Thanks. That's the thing: the manual recommends to lube them but the dealer seems to ignore that advice. I did not lube them yet but was getting ready to do it soon. Do you think that the OEM cables are teflon lined? I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The way they cheap out on the chains on these bikes i would highly doubt it.
But i could be wrong
🐉

·
Director of Moderation
2,513 Posts
Here's the Brian Van, Sportbike Track Gear Dot Com version of the install.
For future stuff, that YouTube channel has an install video for pretty much everything you'd ever want to do to the Ninja 400. If I was in the US I'd probably exclusively shop there just because of the time/pain they've saved me.
I think Brian Van pretty much revolutionized the motorcycle retain industry with his review videos and later on, the "how to" videos. Now many other companies followed along and started doing the same, which is all of great help to most consumers. STG and Brian Van are legit. Great addition to the industry for sure and although I haven't met him in person, he seems to be a pretty good dude. His son Max is pretty **** fast now on that 400, running with the front group in most of the MotoAmerica Jr Cup races this year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts