Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the EVAP system has any components inside the fuel tank that decrease the capacity below 3.7 gallons? The reason I ask is that even when the fuel indicator has been in "panic mode" for my whole 32 mile commute, when I go to refuel it has never been more than 2.8 gallons until the tank is full. I realized the "vapor lock shutoff" in California fuel pumps may be a contibutung factor. Also, is there a capacitive advantage to fueling the bike leaned over on the side stand as opposed to "in the saddle"?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Yeah it's 'bout 3.7, maybe less fer Kalifornia.? It's really "pessimistic" you can go forever on "panic mode." My Yamaha's the same way; drives me nuts!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea the overprotective threshold of the blinking drives me crazy. I have a bit of the 'Tism and I'd really appreciate it if the warning system was set to kick in when there's about 30 miles til absolute empty. To engage when there's a 1/3 of the tank is absurd. Can that be addressed with any of the popular ECU flashes?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Not that I know of? I have the Flash Tune ECU, and there's no adjustment for the gas tank reserve. (Unless yer smile'in Kawasaki dealer has a special "thing" they can do?)
Rode my FJR for 30 mi on reserve, got gas, and it only took 5 gallons; it's a 6.5 gal tank! According to my math, it's go **** near 100 mi. on reserve. (1/3 of a tank too)
But here in Kalifornia, they feed us this sucky "winter formula" gas, that gets worse mileage than "normal" gas, so mileage goes down in winter. The best thing to do is try to go longer and longer in reserve, 'n see'in how much you put in, to get an accurate range.
If'n you fill it up, and ride 70 mph on the highway, you could prolly go 200 mi. or more, but "cold starts" of commuting eat a lot of gas.
Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh I didn't know that. It was killin me tryna figure out why my mpg just went from 60.8 to 59.7, especially when I just switched from a stop-n-go route to work to a highway cruising route. As a side note, my experimentation has shown that premium gas makes the Ninja run and idle noticeably better, despite the controversy on this topic. 87 seems to make it lurch on throttle application and dislike bursts of acceleration. Makes the exhaust smell diff too FWIW.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You guys get pretty good MPG! I average about 55 mpg, but I ride.... "spiritedly" in most when the conditions are safe. In my vehicles, I use my odometer trip A to gauge when I need gas and reset it everytime I do. To be safe, I fill up when I hit the 120ish mile mark. I was also told that having less than half a tank is rough on your fuel pump (I read this about cars, not sure if the same pertains to the bikes).

@Banjoboy I always thought the decrease in mileage in the winter was due to the air temperature mix. Colder = denser air, so when it's colder you get more power but also use more fuel. Kind of like how people installing cold air intakes & fabricating heat shields in cars.

Reactions: Banjoboy

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
@Banjoboy is right about "winter" gas and mileage, at least in the US. I notice a significant drop with the change in seasons.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
You guys get pretty good MPG! I average about 55 mpg, but I ride.... "spiritedly" in most when the conditions are safe. In my vehicles, I use my odometer trip A to gauge when I need gas and reset it everytime I do. To be safe, I fill up when I hit the 120ish mile mark. I was also told that having less than half a tank is rough on your fuel pump (I read this about cars, not sure if the same pertains to the bikes).

@Banjoboy I always thought the decrease in mileage in the winter was due to the air temperature mix. Colder = denser air, so when it's colder you get more power but also use more fuel. Kind of like how people installing cold air intakes & fabricating heat shields in cars.
Maybe that's why fuel gauges are so pessimistic; they want you to keep more fuel in to keep the pump cool?
The mileage drop isn't from cold, cuz I've been ride'in long before "winter blends."
Back in the early '90s, I used to commute out to the coast 35 mi. one way. I'd go 2 days before I had to fill up my FJ1200. Did this for years, then one day I ran out on thew way home; like 20 miles from home! This is when they 1st started doing the crap winter blend, think it was that evil MTBE stuff? I notice it on all our vehicles, and this never happened before in winter blends. Side note; if you have to burn more fuel to go the same distance, how is that keeping the air cleaner? :unsure:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe that's why fuel gauges are so pessimistic; they want you to keep more fuel in to keep the pump cool?
The mileage drop isn't from cold, cuz I've been ride'in long before "winter blends."
Back in the early '90s, I used to commute out to the coast 35 mi. one way. I'd go 2 days before I had to fill up my FJ1200. Did this for years, then one day I ran out on thew way home; like 20 miles from home! This is when they 1st started doing the crap winter blend, think it was that evil MTBE stuff? I notice it on all our vehicles, and this never happened before in winter blends. Side note; if you have to burn more fuel to go the same distance, how is that keeping the air cleaner? :unsure:
Interesting, this is definitely interesting information! I presume your sensors/filters were all in good order, and not just a coincidence. We should find an ex-fuel master distiller to spill the truth (if they dont have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Pfttt, 'Murica doesn't care about being green and have a good moral compass. We're all about profits and greed - unfortunately

1 - 9 of 9 Posts