Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
316 Posts
I'm also wondering, will the engine drive the wheels in the right direction? Or will there be a gear between the output shaft and the chain drive?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I'm also wondering, will the engine drive the wheels in the right direction? Or will there be a gear between the output shaft and the chain drive?
Good catch haha. Yes I designed it backwards to get the engine as far forward as I could put it. Unfortunately that means its backwards. Initially I designed a 1:1 gear reduction that just reverses the direction but I couldnt find reasonably priced gears in the strength/size I needed, so I instead changed the chain run using some extra sprockets. Here is a picture of the idea:
Automotive tire Blue Gear Bicycle part Rim

For your other questions:

Engine weighs probably around 90-110lbs if I were to estimate from moving it around. The front is pretty light, I was hoping my body weight could balance out the distribution enough to not wheelie like crazy. If not Ill just add a chunk of steel to the front or something.

Im using a 3mm brake rotor with the original brake caliper on some master cylinder from amazon. Seems to work decently well, I made sure the tangential force vector was inline with the tube I welded onto the structure so its in (nearly) pure compression force on 1/8" steel structural tubing, seems like it should be good.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
316 Posts
Wow, nice on the chain drive!!!

Another possible idea would be a crossed belt -- both will have challenges, I am sure...

100 lbs is lighter than I expected -- also nice!

BTW, if you want an easy calculator for doing real-world calculations of power and force and stuff, try:

For example, if you have 25 ft lb of torque and a first gear ratio of 6.49945 (i.e., 2.219 * 2.929) and a 2 inch radius (?) sprocket, how much force can be on your chain in first gear?

> 25 foot poundf * 6.49945 / (2 inch) ? poundf

-- Rich

PS I updated the calculation to remove the un-applicable final drive ratio!

81 - 83 of 83 Posts