Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Ninja 400 owners. I'm just your friendly neighborhood racially ambiguous fat man who hasn't had a haircut since the corona-virus started to hit the news and we were all forced to stay home.

About a week ago I was just an ordinary, motorcycle-less pleb, going about my lonely existence locked up in quarantine. One night, through a combination of sheer boredom and extreme stupidity, I decided to get hammered on incredibly cheap whiskey mixed with RedBull, coke, orange juice and expired milk. I then proceeded to black out.

I'm not entirely certain of the events that transpired in between my loss and eventual resurgence of consciousness, but I found myself in the parking lot of my apartment. I had a massive hangover, was covered in vomit, wearing lingerie under a motorcycle jacket and helmet and slumped over a brand new Ninja 400. I then proceeded to check my bank account and it was $5,500 less than when I had checked a few days prior.

I found a dealership sticker on the bike and proceeded to try and take it back to them for a refund, but they just laughed in my face told me to get **** on, so that was a no go. And so here I am, stuck with a brand new bike and gear that I didn't even know I bought until a day after the fact. Well, I guess I'm a motorcyclist now. Might as well make the best of it.

Since I'm not completely suicidal yet, I'm going to go ahead and take the STAR (Idaho MSF equivalent) and get my full endorsement on Monday. Wish me luck. Oh also, I washed the vomit off and took a picture for you all to see.
IMG_20200630_132040_7.jpg

If any of you have any relevant advice for me, such as any maintenance specific to this bike, any mechanical issues it may have, how best not to die while riding, where to find help for alcoholism and suicidal thoughts, etc then I would appreciate it. Also, if you know of any riding groups in the Twin Falls area that would be great. Thanks.

Registered
Howdy. One of the more um... 'interesting' intro posts we've had for a while. Heck I had to google racially ambiguous 馃槃

Not sure how much of that to take seriously but you cant be too much of a (self proclaimed) stupid man child to end up with such a cool bike.

The bulk of the maintenance tasks are covered in the owners manual but just use the search function on here for further detail or additional tasks if you want to work on your bike yourself rather than pay the dealer.
My only advice would be go to your manual now, read the bit on clutch lever free play and check yours is set correctly. If it's not you could risk burning your clutch plates out.

Happy riding.

Registered
So you washed the vomit off...are you still wearing the lingerie? Just need to have all the info to properly assess your current condition...

Oh, yeah - welcome to the forum! My advice? Show up sober (and sans lingerie/vomit) and pay attention during the course. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Kiwi Rider! Thanks for responding so fast, I'm grateful to have someone who's (presumably based on when you joined and the number of posts you've made) experienced respond to me so quickly. About that clutch free play and burning the plates out. I haven't done anything to the bike yet, it's fresh from the dealership. I've been practicing low speed maneuvers and starting the bike in the parking lot. I've put

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Pressed post reply before I finished typing, alcohol must not have worn off yet. As I was saying, I've put about 1 1/2 miles on it and must have stalled about 20 times while practicing. Can that damage the bike over time?

Registered
Pressed post reply before I finished typing, alcohol must not have worn off yet. As I was saying, I've put about 1 1/2 miles on it and must have stalled about 20 times while practicing. Can that damage the bike over time?
It won't hurt the bike just your reputation but since that's already more than a little tarnished I wouldn't worry about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It won't hurt the bike just your reputation but since that's already more than a little tarnished I wouldn't worry about it.
Oh you don't even know the half of my reputation, Jackpine. Thanks. Also, no I haven't checked for tattoos yet. Probably should get on that.

Registered
The clutch on these bikes (I have the Z400 version) takes some getting used to. There's not a lot of feel to the engagement point more like an on/off switch which makes smooth takeoffs difficult especially for a new rider. I hadn't ridden in 40 odd years before getting mine and I did not like it at all. There is a fix for the problem which is cheap and easy to do.
clutch fix
On a new bike the heavier clutch springs add a lot of feel to the lever and helps to prevent premature wear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The clutch on these bikes (I have the Z400 version) takes some getting used to. There's not a lot of feel to the engagement point more like an on/off switch which makes smooth takeoffs difficult especially for a new rider. I hadn't ridden in 40 odd years before getting mine and I did not like it at all. There is a fix for the problem which is cheap and easy to do.
clutch fix
On a new bike the heavier clutch springs add a lot of feel to the lever and helps to prevent premature wear.
I'll keep that in mind, but for now I'd prefer not to screw with the bike too much. Besides, I think I've got the hang of where the bite point is, it should be fine.

Registered
Welcome! Yep, you're gonna fit in just fine around here.:p

Whiskey & Red Bull--also known as a good way to wake up still drunk, with the gradual realization that you'll be wide awake when the hangover kicks in! Ahh, college life. Well, not mine exactly as Red Bull hadn't been invented yet. But I have this nephew ...

Twin Falls, Idaho. Hmm? I rode through there about 2015 on the way to Craters of the Moon, then on to Yellowstone. Good places to ride. Little traffic, if I recall. You'll probably like heated grips.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome! Yep, you're gonna fit in just fine around here.:p

Whiskey & Red Bull--also known as a good way to wake up still drunk, with the gradual realization that you'll be wide awake when the hangover kicks in! Ahh, college life. Well, not mine exactly as Red Bull hadn't been invented yet. But I have this nephew ...

Twin Falls, Idaho. Hmm? I rode through there about 2015 on the way to Craters of the Moon, then on to Yellowstone. Good places to ride. Little traffic, if I recall. You'll probably like heated grips.
Craters of the Moon and Yellowstone? 2015 must have been a fun year for you. I used to head up to those places on the weekends back in the good old days. In the days before I got pissed on cheap alcohol and made "sub-optimal life choices" on at least a weekly basis (read: when I was in elementary school).

Lots of deer up there. And though that makes for good hunting, they do have a tendency to go all kamikaze on the motorists around those parts. If I head up there any time soon, It's going to be with someone who knows what the **** they're doing riding in front of me.

If I die, then I don't want it to be from some retarded animal yeeting it's big stupid face into my bike around a blind turn. No, I want it to be something cool. Like crashing and exploding into a fireball while racing Valentino Rossi for first place in MotoGP. Or, something. I don't know.

maxresdefault.jpg

Registered
Lots of deer up there. And though that makes for good hunting, they do have a tendency to go all kamikaze on the motorists around those parts. If I head up there any time soon, It's going to be with someone who knows what the **** they're doing riding in front of me.

If I die, then I don't want it to be from some retarded animal yeeting it's big stupid face into my bike around a blind turn. No, I want it to be something cool. Like crashing and exploding into a fireball while racing Valentino Rossi for first place in MotoGP. Or, something. I don't know.

View attachment 13949
That is one hard case photo! We've got deer around here too but because they get hunted the crap out of by the locals they tend to shy away from anything related to man inc the roads.

Registered
Hello fellow Ninja 400 owners. I'm just your friendly neighborhood racially ambiguous fat man who hasn't had a haircut since the corona-virus started to hit the news and we were all forced to stay home.

About a week ago I was just an ordinary, motorcycle-less pleb, going about my lonely existence locked up in quarantine. One night, through a combination of sheer boredom and extreme stupidity, I decided to get hammered on incredibly cheap whiskey mixed with RedBull, coke, orange juice and expired milk. I then proceeded to black out.

I'm not entirely certain of the events that transpired in between my loss and eventual resurgence of consciousness, but I found myself in the parking lot of my apartment. I had a massive hangover, was covered in vomit, wearing lingerie under a motorcycle jacket and helmet and slumped over a brand new Ninja 400. I then proceeded to check my bank account and it was $5,500 less than when I had checked a few days prior.

I found a dealership sticker on the bike and proceeded to try and take it back to them for a refund, but they just laughed in my face told me to get **** on, so that was a no go. And so here I am, stuck with a brand new bike and gear that I didn't even know I bought until a day after the fact. Well, I guess I'm a motorcyclist now. Might as well make the best of it.

Since I'm not completely suicidal yet, I'm going to go ahead and take the STAR (Idaho MSF equivalent) and get my full endorsement on Monday. Wish me luck. Oh also, I washed the vomit off and took a picture for you all to see. View attachment 13935

If any of you have any relevant advice for me, such as any maintenance specific to this bike, any mechanical issues it may have, how best not to die while riding, where to find help for alcoholism and suicidal thoughts, etc then I would appreciate it. Also, if you know of any riding groups in the Twin Falls area that would be great. Thanks.
1. Go to AA
2. Quit drinking and find GOD. You have had more than enough hangovers it's time to move forward.
Move forward being sober. Stop making excuses to stay in your circle of self destruction.

Registered
That is one hard case photo! We've got deer around here too but because they get hunted the crap out of by the locals they tend to shy away from anything related to man inc the roads.
Send some of yours for breeding stock please.
I guess New Zealand deer are just smarter than ours.
Ain't that the truth. I had my closest encounter yet just last night. bolted out of the tall grass right in front of me. There was absolutely no time to react. I haven't heard of any bike deer accidents but last winter a friend got taken off his snowmobile by one. The side of his chest was one huge bruise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts