Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys breaking in your new 400? By the book? Sadly I’ve had mine almost a week and only put 35 miles on it. First outing was by the book. Second outing I’ve taken it to between 5-6k rpm. So many ideas on how to break it in.

·
Registered
764 Posts
How are you guys breaking in your new 400? By the book? Sadly I’ve had mine almost a week and only put 35 miles on it. First outing was by the book. Second outing I’ve taken it to between 5-6k rpm. So many ideas on how to break it in.
im 2 weeks in and at 1000 km aka 600 miles. the first 100km I took it very easy "under 4k in the rev range" after that i still took it kinda easy just every now and then did some short bursts, what you want for best results is to never stay in the same rev range or gear to long, I recommend you take the bike around some twisty roads where you will be changing gear and revs constantly, also when starting the bike, give the fuel filter a few seconds to run then turn the engine over and let her idle for a couple minutes before you start to ride, I found doing some high speed runs at around 500km made her sound a bit smoother but I could be going crazy, I find first 100km of any bike its best to take it easy but not to easy where the engine is lugging, after that mix it up abit :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been letting it warm up before I ride but I will try giving the fuel filter as you say a few seconds before turning it on. I am varying the rpm and gears quite a bit. Hoping I can get this bike to last me some years. Engine breaking as much as possible as well. Thanks for the advice! Anything is welcome!

·
Registered
764 Posts
dont agree with the 100 mile oil change, some say the factory oil is different than what you put into it at service and is made specifically for the engine brake in but meh idk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll stick with the 500 mile service. Had to bargain hard to get them to give it to me at no cost. It’s tough buying a new bike here in So Cal. But I do want to learn how to work on this bike eventually. I like to tinker. Just hate when I F something up ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I’ll stick with the 500 mile service. Had to bargain hard to get them to give it to me at no cost. It’s tough buying a new bike here in So Cal. But I do want to learn how to work on this bike eventually. I like to tinker. Just hate when I F something up ��
my dealership gave me 3 for free "as in the first 3 services free" instead I just said "how about 6 litres of oil?" and thats what I got lol never trust the dealership, I have seen many of my friends bikes have problems from doing services at dealerships plus I like to let my oil drain for over a hour and while the bike is hot to keep the oil thin while the dealership just do it when they can which is not what Im into...and well I like to use the k and n filters while the dealership use the stock ones which in my opinion are meh and feel cheap, have you seen the stock r3 filter, from a distance looks good get in close and the material is as weak as the top of a new milo lid

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your Ninja has no sleeve so you better not brake it hard or you end up either having broken ring or damage bore. It will surely run with a broken ring but it will not run as good as those with good rings and good bores.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Your Ninja has no sleeve so you better not brake it hard or you end up either having broken ring or damage bore. It will surely run with a broken ring but it will not run as good as those with good rings and good bores.
Well that's my rings and bores stuffed then cos I've been giving it the berries from the very first km. :D I have tried to keep it under 10K RPM to be fair but it's been full throttle galore mostly!

I would be interested to hear a mechanical explanation as to what actually causes the rings to break and the bore to be damaged if I ride my bike hard during this period?

Have broken my last two brand new bikes in the same way with no issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Piston has 3 rings. The upper ring compresses the air, the middle ring supply lubricating oil, the lower ring prevents the engine oil from going to compression chamber. When metal is heated it expand. The ring has a little clearance for that expansion so it wouldn't brake. That is why it needs a soft brake in so that the ring and the bore adjust together until the ring could expand without braking, otherwise, motorcycle will run rough at low RPM. Anyway its your bike you can do whatever you want with it. ??

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Piston has 3 rings. The upper ring compresses the air, the middle ring supply lubricating oil, the lower ring prevents the engine oil from going to compression chamber. When metal is heated it expand. The ring has a little clearance for that expansion so it wouldn't brake. That is why it needs a soft brake in so that the ring and the bore adjust together until the ring could expand without braking, otherwise, motorcycle will run rough at low RPM. Anyway its your bike you can do whatever you want with it. ?? I just love sharing my thoughts to people with pentium 3 mental ability lol..
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I would have thought with the nikasil lining on the bore there wouldnt be much mating together of parts required these days?
The last line of your post was unnecessary in my humble uneducated opinion.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My old ass ninja 250 was broken in rough asf, had 80k on the clock and never had a single problem. infact I would always destroy my uncle who had the same bike at the traffic lights, I know people always say "keep it under 4k rpm" but for me I have always found my bikes to run better when having a little bit pf a harder break in, not redlining or anything but hitting way above 4k rpm lol, To me I find letting the bike idle for a couple minutes to heat up before riding is more important but to each there own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts