Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
The rotor diameter is already right up there at 310mm.
I would suggest these mods first which are more common:
Change pads to sintered ones.
Fit a braided front brake line.
Fit a more powerful aftermarket master cylinder.
Aftermarket brake caliper ie Brembo etc.

I just received a braided line in the post yst and will be fitting this wkd. Will keep you posted on result.

·
Registered
764 Posts
LOL, because 310mm front rotor on a bike that weighs 160kgs is not enough... the brakes are fine, just a little squishy so new riders dont panic and accidentally grab a handful of front brake and flip. Get better levers, as kiwi said sintered brake pads "dont go brembo would be a waste of money, Stick to EBC and save" and the mod that will get you the most feedback aka braided lines. I find with different levers the brakes are fine, but I dont weigh to much and my bike has dropped a few kgs as well, that being said a master cylinder swap will loose even more weight and look even cooler lol so I might give it a shot. ill get new pads in a couple months when these are gone.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is this abs or non abs? I found the non abs has a lot firmer more traditional brake feel. THe abs ones I test rode had a spongy feel. Maybe bleed the brakes first and see. I’ve never once felt I needed more brakes on the front. I haven’t pushed it to the limit yet tho!

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Is this abs or non abs? I found the non abs has a lot firmer more traditional brake feel. THe abs ones I test rode had a spongy feel. Maybe bleed the brakes first and see. I’ve never once felt I needed more brakes on the front. I haven’t pushed it to the limit yet tho!
This is why I'm doing the direct braided line mod, by passing the ABS unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Abs will only start working when you grab a great handful of brake such has emergency braking
it will not be any better than a none ABS bike used normally
idea of Abs is to help to stop skidding

·
Registered
9 Posts
Abs will only start working when you grab a great handful of brake such has emergency braking
it will not be any better than a none ABS bike used normally
idea of Abs is to help to stop skidding

Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure it will operate if one eases on the brakes but there is terrible traction just as cars do.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure it will operate if one eases on the brakes but there is terrible traction just as cars do.

Yes I am sure about ,the Abs ,if you are a patch of rough ground or gravel or a diesel spill on traffic Island
Abs wont help neither will none ABS brakes

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Yes I am sure about ,the Abs ,if you are a patch of rough ground or gravel or a diesel spill on traffic Island
Abs wont help neither will none ABS brakes
ABS activates when the sensor detects that the wheel has stopped rotating ('locked up') .
So this can be either on a hard dry surface with lots of brake pressure or a wet/soft/loose surface with minimal brake pressure.
In either instance the unit releases brake fluid pressure momentarily to let the wheel rotate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ABS activates when the sensor detects that the wheel has stopped rotating ('locked up') .
So this can be either on a hard dry surface with lots of brake pressure or a wet/soft/loose surface with minimal brake pressure.
In either instance the unit releases brake fluid pressure momentarily to let the wheel rotate.
Yes, exactly. In a nutshell, as long as you have some brake applied, the ABS can affect wheel rotation.

175 Posts
Better brake pads make all the difference with this bike. but the stock rotor is pretty easy to warp if you are racing. We're upgrading all track bikes to Braketech's 5mm or 6mm race rotors, and combined with SS lines and either Vesrah or Ferodo pads, the brakes are awesome. You can do a radial master if you like the feel, but they aren't necessary.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 Brake Upgrades

1 - 14 of 14 Posts