Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding some brake parts to my list of upgrades, and I was wondering if anyone has direct comparison of Brembo vs EBC?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess it boils down to what what you need, and what you can spend. If you're planning on tracking the Ninja 400, then maybe Brembo would be better. For general riding, I personally would go for the more affordable EBC.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Brembos are considerably more expensive, but they also do come with a longer warranty. I really don't know if there will be a substantial difference in performance, so unless your planning on doing endo's, EBC should serve you well enough.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not worried about cost and it'll be Heavy Street, Light Track duty. The Brembo SA/SP combo is what I'm looking at, just wanted to know if anyone had a direct comparison on feel/modulation/bite and which would be better for my riding style. I'm going to pretty much upgrading the whole brake system so just want to do things once.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm not worried about cost and it'll be Heavy Street, Light Track duty. The Brembo SA/SP combo is what I'm looking at, just wanted to know if anyone had a direct comparison on feel/modulation/bite and which would be better for my riding style. I'm going to pretty much upgrading the whole brake system so just want to do things once.
If your not worried about cost go the brembo system. 4 piston caliper in the front. You can buy the brembo master and brake resivoir or buy a used master from a bigger bike. Zx10r or similar.

I don't like the brembo brake lever so I used a master from a 2004 gsxr. System works great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your not worried about cost go the brembo system. 4 piston caliper in the front. You can buy the brembo master and brake resivoir or buy a used master from a bigger bike. Zx10r or similar.

I don't like the brembo brake lever so I used a master from a 2004 gsxr. System works great.
What don't you like about the levers? I haven't seen a caliper kit for the 400 but I think you've swapped yours from the 300, which kit did you go with?

·
Registered
460 Posts
What don't you like about the levers? I haven't seen a caliper kit for the 400 but I think you've swapped yours from the 300, which kit did you go with?
It was a direct swap from my 300 I didn't need a different mounting plate. I don't care for the long levers. I use short levers as most times I brake or clutch using 2 fingers. I ride with my hands at the end of the bars on the bar ends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a direct swap from my 300 I didn't need a different mounting plate. I don't care for the long levers. I use short levers as most times I brake or clutch using 2 fingers. I ride with my hands at the end of the bars on the bar ends.
Oh yeah, I was going to get short replacement levers lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just to confirm, brake pad sizes are the same for N3 and N4, correct?
Yes. Front and rear pads are the same.

Keep in mind EBC doesn't label their pads in an easy to understand manner. The FA197HH pads are labeled as double H sintered brake pads, but they are mostly meant for the street the EPFA197HH pads are labeled as double H sintered brake pads but are the "extreme performance" version better suited for the track. I kept my stock rear pads and put the EPFA197HH on the front, speigler stainless steel lines, and Motul RPF600 brake fluid. Vastly improved the brakes, unsure if I'll be replacing master cylinder or calipers.

Here is the Amazon link . Amazon will say that it doesn't fit the bike but that is the correct pad for the stock calipers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm waiting for Ferodo FDB631 front/rear pads set, it's HH sintered as well. Reading some reviews I got an impression that these should outperform EBC, but who knows...

·
Registered
147 Posts

Keep in mind EBC doesn't label their pads in an easy to understand manner. The FA197HH pads are labeled as double H sintered brake pads, but they are mostly meant for the street the EPFA197HH pads are labeled as double H sintered brake pads but are the "extreme performance" version better suited for the track. I kept my stock rear pads and put the EPFA197HH on the front, speigler stainless steel lines, and Motul RPF600 brake fluid. Vastly improved the brakes, unsure if I'll be replacing master cylinder or calipers.

Here is the Amazon link . Amazon will say that it doesn't fit the bike but that is the correct pad for the stock calipers.
Thanks, just ordered the pads and fluid, hope you're right about fitment :) racing next weekend. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Hi, just to make sure. the FA197HH is used for both front and rear on the N400? no diffrence between them at all?

Haven't got a chance yet to open the rear caliper.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, just to make sure. the FA197HH is used for both front and rear on the N400? no diffrence between them at all?

Haven't got a chance yet to open the rear caliper.
Yes, front and rear are same size. Remember that FA197HH is different from EPFA197HH. EPFA197HH is a more aggressive pad with track riding in mind.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, front and rear are same size. Remember that FA197HH is different from EPFA197HH. EPFA197HH is a more aggressive pad with track riding in mind.

Have you had exprience with normal HH? Is the EP version can be used a the street as well? I mean of course it does, but does it have the same bite in ideal street speeds?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have you had exprience with normal HH? Is the EP version can be used a the street as well? I mean of course it does, but does it have the same bite in ideal street speeds?
I had the normal HH on my 300, they worked great in the street and canyons, I got a little fade after a long canyon session. I have the extreme performance on the front of my 400. They also work fine for the street, has much stronger initial bite. Haven't had them fade at all on me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone tried Galfer pads? SportbikeTrack gear has two versions (HH and Semi Sinter) and wondering if they would be good on the N400. I had the Galfer HH on one of my other bike and they seem fine. But also heard that HH are no bueno for the N400 rotors.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Has anyone tried Galfer pads? SportbikeTrack gear has two versions (HH and Semi Sinter) and wondering if they would be good on the N400. I had the Galfer HH on one of my other bike and they seem fine. But also heard that HH are no bueno for the N400 rotors.
It's not peculiar to just the N400 rotors, sintered pads are harder on any rotor than OEM pads.
It's a trade off for better stopping power.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had the normal HH on my 300, they worked great in the street and canyons, I got a little fade after a long canyon session. I have the extreme performance on the front of my 400. They also work fine for the street, has much stronger initial bite. Haven't had them fade at all on me.
It's not peculiar to just the N400 rotors, sintered pads are harder on any rotor than OEM pads.
It's a trade off for better stopping power.

Hey guys, a little question.

Wanting to buy new rear brake pads as the current ones are in the end of their life cycle, I know front and rear are the same by EBC - FA197HH (HH version).

From the several jobs I had done on the calipers, I noticed that the front is divided by 2 "cubes" (no idea how to call that but you get my point) and the rear one is divided by 4, each brake pad.

I see that there are 2 versions of the FA197HH, as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-HH-Fro...m5d40587ffb:g:mSUAAOSwstxVS85T&frcectupt=true --- Each pad is divided by 2

And another one in ebay which schematics show a full cube, meaning it's not divided but on the pictures it is. Pretty weird, but Lets just say all FA197HH are divided by two and thats it.

My question, is it okay to put those brake pads, which are divided by 2 each pad, in the rear, where the stock one has a pad that's divided by 4?

Thanks. Appriciate

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys, a little question.

Wanting to buy new rear brake pads as the current ones are in the end of their life cycle, I know front and rear are the same by EBC - FA197HH (HH version).

From the several jobs I had done on the calipers, I noticed that the front is divided by 2 "cubes" (no idea how to call that but you get my point) and the rear one is divided by 4, each brake pad.

I see that there are 2 versions of the FA197HH, as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-HH-Fro...m5d40587ffb:g:mSUAAOSwstxVS85T&frcectupt=true --- Each pad is divided by 2

And another one in ebay which schematics show a full cube, meaning it's not divided but on the pictures it is. Pretty weird, but Lets just say all FA197HH are divided by two and thats it.

My question, is it okay to put those brake pads, which are divided by 2 each pad, in the rear, where the stock one has a pad that's divided by 4?

Thanks. Appriciate

As long as they fit and the braking pad surface meets the same dimension then I image it is okay. My front brake pads are solid, without any slits. I am not really sure what the slits or 'blocks' are for. Maybe they are designed to have some flex, maybe it is to encourage cooling or maybe it's just cheaper to manufacture it that way.

Here is a perfect example of brake pads that are 110% done after a track day...
IMG-0298.jpg
IMG-0297.jpg
IMG-0296.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts