Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my master cylinder. So if I get an aftermarket MC like a Brembo, Magura, Frando, etc...do I have to use their proprietary lever? I currently have the CRG shorty adjustable levers and I would like to keep them if at all possible...

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but just wanted to hear from those who have done the upgrade...
You can use aftermarket levers that are made for some of those MC's...if you find any. I used to know of one company who made their levers both for stock MC's and also Brembo's. They've gone out of business since. Your existing levers will definitely not work on the aftermarket MC's though.

On the bright side, the levers that come with Brembo, Magura, and probably other aftermarket MC's are in my opinion better than most of the usual aftermarket levers like CRG, Pazzo, Spears, ASV, etc. I had the Spears levers on my 400 and I didn't like them at all. For the clutch it's fine, but for the brake it seemed to mushy, like there was too much flexing in the lever. I ended up going back to the stock one. Now as of this year I put on a Magura MC with the lever it comes on and it's so much nicer in the way it feels. Gives me more confidence in the brake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I think I'm looking to go with a 12mm radial master cylinder like the Magura HC1 but just realized it does not come with folding levers, nor do I see any way to add one. If I want to stay with a 12mm piston with brake light switch functionality, is there really no option on the market that would give me folding levers and fit our bike? I see the Brembo RCS14 would be exactly what I want, but the piston is 14mm instead of 12mm :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got my Woodcraft clip ons installed last night! Huge improvement. This is stock handlebar sweep and length. With my ASV levers this is all the clearance I'm left with at full lock. Looking to order the Magura HC1 but it sounds like I'm definitely going to have to cut the trim.

Does anyone have measurements of the HC1 vs the stock master cylinder in relation to how much further forward the lever mount sits?
IMG_5122.jpeg

61 - 63 of 63 Posts