Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do agree with this BUT how many people actually know how to "trail brake" and actually do so street/track? there are some tracks i don't even use the brakes in some sections where on my other race bikes I do !! rider preference/ability at the end of day ! stock set up is more than capable for most

Everyone needs braking feel though. Its the only way to properly threshold into a trail brake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do agree with this BUT how many people actually know how to "trail brake" and actually do so street/track? there are some tracks i don't even use the brakes in some sections where on my other race bikes I do !! rider preference/ability at the end of day ! stock set up is more than capable for most
I do in a car all the time street or track. On a bike Im still working on my cornering, but definitely could have used it last Sunday at the mini track I went to. My current ASV lever setup sucks because there is so little travel between ABS and the threshold point that with how little feel the current master provides, it's virtually impossible to be consistent. The instructor confirmed this as well with my setup. Funny I didnt even try trail braking as I was more focused on learning the track, but I'm most likely going to be signing up for a two day superbike school at Thunderhill with Carters and from the all the times I've driven that track in a car, I expect trail braking to become needed, especially turn 1 and 14.

Regardless i'd like to improve the feedback asap while Im learning. These schools are expensive and I want to take full advantage of the instructor time. Especially given that I already know the concepts. Just need to practice execution.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Jesus so this is far from plug and play. I just contacted ASV to see if they could make me a custom C5 brake lever to bolt up to the HC1 but if the HC1 doesnt even fit on a stock bike this is a whole nother can of worms :(

Are there other options like the HC1 that have integrated brake light switch that actually fit a stock bike? My braking system is completely stock atm. Planning to also add an SS line up front and only do a brembo caliper if necessary. Master is the key area of concern atm

The HC1 comes with a full length lever, not a shorty like the ASV. It has no slop, very high precision. The kit comes with everything for installation. I would imagine it would be quite expensive to have ASV retrofit their lever into a radial MC, that's if they want to. I don't see why you're inclined to get an ASV to fit this because the HC1 has a better screw type length adjustability, with even finer gradients. You could easily cut the lever if you want a "shorty" ASV like.

All the aftermarket radial MC eg: brembo, galespeed, frando, magura, accossato, etc. I've seen have the brake lines plumbed at the underside of the unit, which conflicts with our stock on/off starter switch module. There may be an OEM style radial MC from a certain bike that could bolt to the N400, but I haven't researched that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The HC1 with 12mm Piston comes with a shorty lever; the 15mm and 18mm versions come with long levers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
By "shorty" levers, I'm referring to is no more than 2 finger pull allowance. The HC1 12mm can accomodate 4 finger pull, yet they term it a shorty compared to their longer counterpart of the 15 and 18mm cylinders. So in essence it is a medium length lever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The HC1 comes with a full length lever, not a shorty like the ASV. It has no slop, very high precision. The kit comes with everything for installation. I would imagine it would be quite expensive to have ASV retrofit their lever into a radial MC, that's if they want to. I don't see why you're inclined to get an ASV to fit this because the HC1 has a better screw type length adjustability, with even finer gradients. You could easily cut the lever if you want a "shorty" ASV like.

All the aftermarket radial MC eg: brembo, galespeed, frando, magura, accossato, etc. I've seen have the brake lines plumbed at the underside of the unit, which conflicts with our stock on/off starter switch module. There may be an OEM style radial MC from a certain bike that could bolt to the N400, but I haven't researched that.
Im actually using the normal ASV levers and wasn't interested in the shorty style. Main reason I wanted to keep the ASV levers is due to the fact that I like the fit and feel of them as well as the fact that they weren't cheap. Aesthetically it looks kinda ugly to have mismatched clutch and brake levers.

If I have to change my entire setup to go with an aftermarket master, that sucks, but guess I dont have a choice. Are there any 12mm masters that have ratchet click adjustment like ASV or is that a lost cause here without a custom application?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Im actually using the normal ASV levers and wasn't interested in the shorty style. Main reason I wanted to keep the ASV levers is due to the fact that I like the fit and feel of them as well as the fact that they weren't cheap. Aesthetically it looks kinda ugly to have mismatched clutch and brake levers.

If I have to change my entire setup to go with an aftermarket master, that sucks, but guess I dont have a choice. Are there any 12mm masters that have ratchet click adjustment like ASV or is that a lost cause here without a custom application?

I haven't seen anything that you want. You're building a race bike, it won't be a fashion show.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Just ordered a set of woodcraft clip ons that are coming this week and looking to order a Magura HC1 master. Are you saying that the only way to retrofit one fo these aftermarket MCs a motion pro throttle assembly is also required for fitment?

Also, I have smaller hands (lever adjustment would be closer to the handlebars) and was wondering if I should still expect clearance issues with a 12mm HC1 with Woodcraft clip ons? Just trying to piece together what I need to order as this is seeming much further than a plug and play kind of setup. Lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have WC clip ons with a Frando MC with no MP throttle set up. I had to rotate the throttle housing down but no issues. Did 2 days with it last fall no problems. Others have said issues. Maybe b/c my bike track only? oh, I do have the WC ignition delete.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my master cylinder. So if I get an aftermarket MC like a Brembo, Magura, Frando, etc...do I have to use their proprietary lever? I currently have the CRG shorty adjustable levers and I would like to keep them if at all possible...

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but just wanted to hear from those who have done the upgrade...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have WC clip ons with a Frando MC with no MP throttle set up. I had to rotate the throttle housing down but no issues. Did 2 days with it last fall no problems. Others have said issues. Maybe b/c my bike track only? oh, I do have the WC ignition delete.
Mine is a daily that will be seeing track time so I need minimal compromises. Can't limit handlebar turning radius and don't want to have to cut plastic unless absolutely needed. It sounds like nothing exists at this time?

I'm planning to position my clip ons to the same location as stock and wondering if this will help my case? The guy who had to cut the plastic I thought I recall he had the bars much further forward? Can anyone confirm?

Just don't want to buy all this stuff to find out we have mm of room to play with and this is unrealistic at this time for a dual purpose street/track setup?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a 12mm Magura HC1 installed on Woodcraft clip-ons with the motion pro throttle tube and ignition switch. I could turn it lock to lock without hitting anything.

I’ve recently upgraded to the HC3, but I had to cut a little to keep the same sweep. It didn’t bug me much to cut it; it’s just a piece of plastic that didn’t need to protrude as much as it did.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 12mm Magura HC1 installed on Woodcraft clip-ons with the motion pro throttle tube and ignition switch. I could turn it lock to lock without hitting anything.

I’ve recently upgraded to the HC3, but I had to cut a little to keep the same sweep. It didn’t bug me much to cut it; it’s just a piece of plastic that didn’t need to protrude as much as it did.
Hmm... So I should be fine then? Any reason the stock throttle housing would not work with the factory pin lock location on the bar?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just ordered a set of woodcraft clip ons that are coming this week and looking to order a Magura HC1 master. Are you saying that the only way to retrofit one fo these aftermarket MCs a motion pro throttle assembly is also required for fitment?

Also, I have smaller hands (lever adjustment would be closer to the handlebars) and was wondering if I should still expect clearance issues with a 12mm HC1 with Woodcraft clip ons? Just trying to piece together what I need to order as this is seeming much further than a plug and play kind of setup. Lol
Well it appears some members here have fitted it without the motion pro throttle assembly. Give it a shot, but if you feel the clearance is iffy, like what i found, then get the Motion pro.

The other clearance issue is the plastics, I have the bars set at the furthest length and added more forward sweep. That's why i cut plastics. You may not need to cut anything if you retain stock sweep and length. You're gonna have to figure out the best clip-on position that suits you, and go from there. Oh, and get ss brake lines while you're at it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my master cylinder. So if I get an aftermarket MC like a Brembo, Magura, Frando, etc...do I have to use their proprietary lever? I currently have the CRG shorty adjustable levers and I would like to keep them if at all possible...

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but just wanted to hear from those who have done the upgrade...
Yes, you do. the CRG's have 6 preset length adjustments like most aftermarket levers. Whereas the radial MC has a screw type adjustment. this is a better design which allows more fine tuning of adjustability. You won't miss the crg's.

Question is can you live with mismatched levers?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I did not have to cut my plastics, at least not there (_hitty belly pan). I run my clip-ons pretty same angle/sweep as I do with my GSXR vortex clip-ons. If you are gonna run race bodywork, to me it looks like TYGA's upper is built to run lower clip ons/more clearance. The TYGA upper does not look identical to the OEM upper like most aftermarket bodywork kits.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
and I stand corrected: I believe I had to rotate the throttle housing up to clear the FRANDO radial MC line connection on the bottom of the MC

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
oh and the BREMBO MC on my GSXR has the line connect to the MC unit on the bottom also if that makes any diff

41 - 60 of 63 Posts