Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I adjusted mine to where it *just* touches the aftermarket windscreen I’ve got installed at full left lock - my Woodcraft clip ons could probably go a quarter inch lower, but it works for me without cutting.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I adjusted mine to where it *just* touches the aftermarket windscreen I’ve got installed at full left lock - my Woodcraft clip ons could probably go a quarter inch lower, but it works for me without cutting.
Are you running stock controls? Cause I've added a little more forward sweep of the clip-ons. Same story with my ASV clutch lever - no go without cutting plastics.

Anyways, the holes don't bug me at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you running stock controls? Cause I've added a little more forward sweep of the clip-ons. Same story with my ASV clutch lever - no go without cutting plastics.

:clap:
It would have been so much better if Kawasaki had just left that lump of plastic out of the mold, it adds nothing aesthetically and gets in the way of stretching out the riding position. I was close to cutting mine, might now that I've seen yours. Just run some quality 3M vinyl over it and no one will see it. The replacement inner fairing is like $70 on Partzilla if you want to return it to stock later.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Magura HC1 and Pro Motion throttle tube & switch on the right bar, aftermarket clutch lever on the left. The brake lever sticks out the farthest forward.

I used the same method as Brian Van in the STG Woodcraft install vid for locating the clip-ons - they just touch a thick screwdriver inserted through the tapped hole in the triple that the small bolt for the stock clip-ons used.

A little more sweep would be nice, but not enough to make me want to pull out the cutting tools & go to town on the fairing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any aftermarket brake master cylinders that allow us to reuse aftermarket levers? My ASV levers weren't cheap and I'd had for them to be useless with a Magura HC1 master.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Any aftermarket brake master cylinders that allow us to reuse aftermarket levers? My ASV levers weren't cheap and I'd had for them to be useless with a Magura HC1 master.

Not as far as I know. Some aftermarket lever brand make levers that can fit Brembo MC's and perhaps other MC's but they're still different so you'd have to have another set. I just got a Magura HC1 on mine so I ditched the Spears lever I had on the stock one. I'll just keep it with the stock MC as a back-up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not as far as I know. Some aftermarket lever brand make levers that can fit Brembo MC's and perhaps other MC's but they're still different so you'd have to have another set. I just got a Magura HC1 on mine so I ditched the Spears lever I had on the stock one. I'll just keep it with the stock MC as a back-up.
Does the Magura have adjustment in the lever? It looks like it does but can't confirm for sure. I have smaller hands so adjustment is essential haha

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Does the Magura have adjustment in the lever? It looks like it does but can't confirm for sure. I have smaller hands so adjustment is essential haha
Yes it does. And from what I can tell, more adjustment than other levers I've seen. The Spears ones I have, I was using at the farthest setting and I still felt it was too close to the handle bar. This one allows for more adjustment so now I got it farther away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Coming back to this as I just did a track day riding clinic and realize now how much I need a master cylinder upgrade for braking feel. Will probably go with the HC1 15mm. Any fitment issues with stock bars or are fitment issues primarily of concern when you get clip ons? I do eventually plan to get some.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had to replace a lot of things just for a radial master cylinder. No clearance with the stock bars with stock ignition switch module because it is too bulky (throttle cable is in the way). If keeping stock handlebars, then you'll need a different throttle kit and a slim ignition switch module like motion pro. Now with clip-ons, it is very likely that you'll have to cut off a portion of the cockpit fairings all depending on how you set the bar sweep, bar height and lever axis. If you're running a steering stopper, that may provide adequate clearance.

I opted to use a larger volume brake fluid reservoir than the one included because it would make bleeding easier. but again that would include a longer reservoir tube mounting bracket etc.

Out of curiosity, what mods did you do to your braking system so far?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went with the 12mm HC1 - I think it’s a better match for the stock or Brembo front caliper. I have Woodcraft clip ons, so I can’t comment on fitment with stock bars. I have a 15mm HC3 (nicer MC) in a box, never installed after I calculated piston area ratios and decided to go 12mm, gives great feel and power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went with the 12mm HC1 - I think it’s a better match for the stock or Brembo front caliper. I have Woodcraft clip ons, so I can’t comment on fitment with stock bars. I have a 15mm HC3 (nicer MC) in a box, never installed after I calculated piston area ratios and decided to go 12mm, gives great feel and power.
I thought general consensus was that a 15mm piston gave the most direct feel? Are the N400 brake pistons too small for this to be relevant?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had to replace a lot of things just for a radial master cylinder. No clearance with the stock bars with stock ignition switch module because it is too bulky (throttle cable is in the way). If keeping stock handlebars, then you'll need a different throttle kit and a slim ignition switch module like motion pro. Now with clip-ons, it is very likely that you'll have to cut off a portion of the cockpit fairings all depending on how you set the bar sweep, bar height and lever axis. If you're running a steering stopper, that may provide adequate clearance.

I opted to use a larger volume brake fluid reservoir than the one included because it would make bleeding easier. but again that would include a longer reservoir tube mounting bracket etc.

Out of curiosity, what mods did you do to your braking system so far?
Jesus so this is far from plug and play. I just contacted ASV to see if they could make me a custom C5 brake lever to bolt up to the HC1 but if the HC1 doesnt even fit on a stock bike this is a whole nother can of worms :(

Are there other options like the HC1 that have integrated brake light switch that actually fit a stock bike? My braking system is completely stock atm. Planning to also add an SS line up front and only do a brembo caliper if necessary. Master is the key area of concern atm

·
Registered
173 Posts
I thought general consensus was that a 15mm piston gave the most direct feel? Are the N400 brake pistons too small for this to be relevant?
We had a discussion about it here. Wha I got out of it was that 12mm would offer the best combo of power & feel. The only thing I can’t comment on is fade resistance & lever pull distance when the rotors and fluid get really hot, as I haven’t been on track with this bike or had a session with a lot of hard braking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We had a discussion about it here. Wha I got out of it was that 12mm would offer the best combo of power & feel. The only thing I can’t comment on is fade resistance & lever pull distance when the rotors and fluid get really hot, as I haven’t been on track with this bike or had a session with a lot of hard braking.
LMK when you do because I do eventually plan to take this to Laguna Seca which has HEAVY braking zones lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have both a HC1 12mm and just ordered RCS14 with full size lever which I prefer... I think the 15 will work better with a 4 piston caliper and the smaller ones will work better with OE caliper..who needs brakes on this thing anyways !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have both a HC1 12mm and just ordered RCS14 with full size lever which I prefer... I think the 15 will work better with a 4 piston caliper and the smaller ones will work better with OE caliper..who needs brakes on this thing anyways !!
Everyone needs braking feel though. Its the only way to properly threshold into a trail brake.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts