Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
It’s not the comfort per se. It’s just that it’s difficult to meep myself off the tank. Riding a road bicycle, I’m used to hard uncomfortable seats. Would a different seat push me forward the way this one does?
I find the same issue on my Z400 - pushing my 'nads into the tank.

I bought the kawasaki Z900 upgrade seat to raise it up a bit plus make it more level and soft. Well worth it. I presume the same will apply to the Z400 (I might invest, as the Z400 will become a long range commuter soon). Unfortunately the Z900 and Z400 seats are NOT interchangeable.

Unless leg length - height is an issue - the Kawasaki Z400 upgrade seat - if one exists and follows the Z900 pattern, would solve a lot of issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For me leg length is also a limiting factor, so rather than raising the seat I took the cover off and scooped out the back (foam easily cut with a quality bread knife). The native seat angle seems to me to be ideal for the Ninja with the sporty stance, but lazy Kawasaki used the same seat in the Z400. IMHO it clearly needs foam taking from the back to create a flatter platform. With this done I am very happy with the seat angle, albeit a bit lacking in padding - a good job I have some padding built into my ass, lol.

I also added rubber side tank pads - being able to grip the tank easily with my knees definitely saves my nads. The bike now works great for me, with only the very occasional crushed nad!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
While I haven't ridden for really long periods of time, I think I've adapted to the seat, as is. I'd like to scoop some of the foam out but I'm afraid I'd end up with no seat at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Late to the posts, but for anyone who might be reading this thread to determine whether to by a Z400 or not, it's an amazing bike. Ironic that I traded my BMW 310R for my Z, given how this thread started. Loved the BMW. It was a great bike. The Z400 is a better bike, hands down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d been going back and forth between the Kawasaki and bmw310r. Given the reliability issues, recalls, and distance to the nearest bmw dealer, plus, some actual bmw owners who told me they’d get the z400, I did.
I am concerned that even after I take some foam out of the seat, it may either be too uncomfortable or will still push me into the tank.
So, now I’m second-guessing my decision and haven’t been riding, thinking that if I have to sell it, I should keep mileage low and avoid dropping it. I turned down an incredible deal on a bmw and this seat is the worst. As others have questioned, “WHY?” Ok, because it’s cheaper to use the same seat but then why bother to make a naked ninja if you’re not going to follow through all the way?
I'm 6'3 and the bike feels amazing to me, I have longer arms so maybe that's what is keeping me off the tank, but you can definitely slide back. I do so when I wheelie on it, and it's still very comfortable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:cool: Like said before , put some time on the thing, all needs to be run in , including the seat, I got the taller seat with the bike as part of my deal and worked out great, I have added some foam to both the stock plank and also to the taller one and after testing , I still like the taller one better,(y)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts