Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d been going back and forth between the Kawasaki and bmw310r. Given the reliability issues, recalls, and distance to the nearest bmw dealer, plus, some actual bmw owners who told me they’d get the z400, I did.
I am concerned that even after I take some foam out of the seat, it may either be too uncomfortable or will still push me into the tank.
So, now I’m second-guessing my decision and haven’t been riding, thinking that if I have to sell it, I should keep mileage low and avoid dropping it. I turned down an incredible deal on a bmw and this seat is the worst. As others have questioned, “WHY?” Ok, because it’s cheaper to use the same seat but then why bother to make a naked ninja if you’re not going to follow through all the way?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am 5'3 and I can sit on the seat comfortably, you can slide back on it, just change the position of your feet on the pegs. You don't have to ride up against the tank. Thats a horrible reason to not like a motorcycle. Like the person above said you can always change the seat out as well. The bike is an amazing machine and you can have a lot of fun on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just change the seat. That's like saying I'm going to sell the bike because I don't like the the texture of the grips. There are cheap after market replacements for these items. What's the big deal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seat

I have owned over 30 motorcycles and the seat on just about every one has not been right for me. Some too soft, most too hard or bad position even the one BMW R1100R I owned. Take it to someone who can re-do the seat or find one online that resolves your situation. I am looking at the Norton Racing super sport seat - check it out and don't give up on the bike that Cycle World proclaimed as the best light weight street bike just because of the seat.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well that's a silly reason to not like a bike. Do you also pick a car only based on the seat feels??

I think the 400 is a very comfortable bike and I don't even have a seat on mine, just a 1/2" foam pad that's also raised lol The 400 is a much better bike than that BMW 310. Why are you riding with the crotch right up against the tank anyway? Scoot back a bit.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I’d been going back and forth between the Kawasaki and bmw310r. Given the reliability issues, recalls, and distance to the nearest bmw dealer, plus, some actual bmw owners who told me they’d get the z400, I did.
I am concerned that even after I take some foam out of the seat, it may either be too uncomfortable or will still push me into the tank.
So, now I’m second-guessing my decision and haven’t been riding, thinking that if I have to sell it, I should keep mileage low and avoid dropping it. I turned down an incredible deal on a bmw and this seat is the worst. As others have questioned, “WHY?” Ok, because it’s cheaper to use the same seat but then why bother to make a naked ninja if you’re not going to follow through all the way?
As others have mentioned, look into replacing the seat.

Also, the seat takes some breaking in. You aren't riding the bike, so the seat will always feel stiff because it is new. I don't have an issue with the seat on the ninja 400. I don't own a Z and I'm not sure if they used the same seat or not. I will say that my seat has become more comfy through riding it often. I think you should be focused on other aspects of the bike that are too costly to fix/upgrade, etc., if you are thinking about whether or not you should be looking to trade it in.

A seat is a trivial thing. Hope it works out for ya!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Oh boy, with a thread title like that this is going to run into three figure post numbers at least..

Most perspective Z400 owners will either be relieved or disappointed when they realise it's about nothing more than an overly firm seat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s not the comfort per se. It’s just that it’s difficult to meep myself off the tank. Riding a road bicycle, I’m used to hard uncomfortable seats. Would a different seat push me forward the way this one does?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It’s not the comfort per se. It’s just that it’s difficult to meep myself off the tank. Riding a road bicycle, I’m used to hard uncomfortable seats. Would a different seat push me forward the way this one does?

The seat is not pushing you forward, it's almost flat. You're letting yourself get too close to the tank. Use your legs. Squeeze the tank with your thighs to keep yourself from sliding on the seat. It's part of the reason why tanks on sport bikes are designed the way they are.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The seat is not pushing you forward, it's almost flat. You're letting yourself get too close to the tank. Use your legs. Squeeze the tank with your thighs to keep yourself from sliding on the seat. It's part of the reason why tanks on sport bikes are designed the way they are.
100% :3tens:

This is the solution to the issue.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As others have suggested, you can look into seats or perhaps you are not used to the riding position of this style of bike and maybe should look into a Honda Rebel 500.
Pardon me, off topic. Anyone got a link to this 4 piece crash bars? The cleanest set I've seen for motogymkhana.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would take it to a dealership and ask them if you could sample some of their seats.. some will let you some won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't like the slope of the original seat either, so popped for the OEM heightened seat. Much better fit for me, 1" taller, it more horizontal seating position, more comfortable, and I can ride a longer distance since changing it out. A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Here is a snap of the heightened seat on my bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
This post makes me want to go hug mine... mine is cherished. It also makes me want to buy yours from you and give it a good home. Maybe I'll just collect z400s. Nothing is for everyone, get what you want. If you don't want your z then sell it. The posts so far from our group have been awesome with their solutions, I support those too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd give it some break in time. I hated the seat at first, but now I'm quite used to it. Not spongy soft or anything, but it doesnt hurt my butt anymore either. In fact, most (not all) of the complaints or dislikes I had originally have worked themselves out after the break in period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan on a Russell for any new bike. My 08 Goldwing didn't need one, but my Versys 300 ABSOLUTELY needed one.

You want a Russell Sport Seat. Tell them the problems you are having and they will fix it. You may want to go on and get a production date. They usually run several months out.

https://day-long.com/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh boy, with a thread title like that this is going to run into three figure post numbers at least..

Most perspective Z400 owners will either be relieved or disappointed when they realise it's about nothing more than an overly firm seat.
I’m a perspective Z400 owner and I’m relieved, just sayin’

1 - 20 of 29 Posts