Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to fix a small paint chip on my tank that my jacket caused on the first day I got my bike. For little chips and stuff like that I’ve always liked the duplicolor scratch fix pens. But after getting online I found duplicolor doesn’t offer Kawasaki colors and my options were limited. Reviews online said colorrite scratch fix is more like a marker instead of pen and I didn’t want to get it from Kawasaki cause they’ve already got enough money outta me. Well I said screw it and got the closest color pen duplicolor had and i found one that’s either exact match or so close that me or the five other people I’ve asked cannot see any diffence.
My bike is Metallic Spark Black 660/15Z
And what I used was Duplicolor Honda Nighthawk Black pearl B92P and the pen part number is AHA 0982

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finally decided to fix a small paint chip on my tank that my jacket caused on the first day I got my bike. For little chips and stuff like that I’ve always liked the duplicolor scratch fix pens. But after getting online I found duplicolor doesn’t offer Kawasaki colors and my options were limited. Reviews online said colorrite scratch fix is more like a marker instead of pen and I didn’t want to get it from Kawasaki cause they’ve already got enough money outta me. Well I said screw it and got the closest color pen duplicolor had and i found one that’s either exact match or so close that me or the five other people I’ve asked cannot see any diffence.
My bike is Metallic Spark Black 660/15Z
And what I used was Duplicolor Honda Nighthawk Black pearl B92P and the pen part number is AHA 0982
So I literally just dropped mine at 0mph. I was stopped, light turned green, car in front of me started going then stopped which I stopped and the wheel was turned right and boop, down it went. No frame sliders were going to catch that and they didn't lol. I see what you've said but when I look up the Duplicolor Honda Nighthawk Black pearl B92P and the pen part number is AHA 0982, it shows the Duplicolor as in a spray can. How do I exactly get that on without it looking runny or am I looking at something wrong and it's not actually a spray for the Duplicolor.

I'm seriously really bummed about this. It kinda looks like mud so I haven't washed it but up close, yeah you can see the marks. However being a new rider and this my first ever bike, makes it even more upsetting.:crying:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad bro I haven’t been on here in a while and just seen this. I’ve been able to get it in the touch up pen and spray can. They had it at the advance auto by me.
I wouldn’t use the spray unless you’re doing a good sized area. If you’re doing chips or scratches then I’d go with the pen. I had like three chips from my jacket that was down to the primer. With the pen there will be a cleaning tip that you’ll use to clean out the spot you’re fixing. It will scratch off any loose paint, dirt, rust. Then wash and rinse the spot. Be sure it’s completely dry. Then shake the **** out of it and you can uses the pen or unscrew it for the little brush. Let it dry then you’ll dab some clear coat on it. After it completely drys you’ll see the clear you put on isn’t flush with the surrounding paint so get a piece of 2500 grit and warm soapy water and GENTLY rub that spot till it’s smooth like the paint around it. That 2500 will make fine scratches in the clear coat. So use a clean microfiber and a good scratch remover like wizards and with some light rubbing they’ll come right out. Then you’re done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No worries. I haven't been on here lately and just saw your reply. This helps greatly. It's starting to get warmer to actually get outside and be comfortable to do this. Thanks for the information! ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When using a spry can, spray some into a clean container, then either A:use a Q-Tip or B:a small (tiny) paint brush to apply the paint. That way you won't over spray the piece.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Also check out Color-Rite, prices are probably a little higher than the cheap stuff you can get at Walmart of parts store, but they actually make the Kawi OEM matching colors, with the flake in it and all, and you can get touch up pens, spray, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts