Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hear you, @crawfish99, about the rush job. I don't know if I could be patient enough to apply the rim tape. I want it but.... I haven't put in the time to search it out either. I think that will be a winter/off season goal.
So you can reapply it? Interesting!!!
You can't reapply it, but it was only $9 from Amazon...so just going to buy some more.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I hear you, @crawfish99, about the rush job. I don't know if I could be patient enough to apply the rim tape. I want it but.... I haven't put in the time to search it out either. I think that will be a winter/off season goal.
So you can reapply it? Interesting!!!
I also might look into powder coating the wheels blue. I loved that look on my R3 but the spokes are so thin on the N400, it might not be worth it.

· Registered
145 Posts
I also might look into powder coating the wheels blue. I loved that look on my R3 but the spokes are so think on the N400, it might not be worth it.
Only 9?! Buying now. Red reflector tape, here I come.

Off to look up "powder coating wheels." DUDE, I didn't know this was a thing. DUDE... omg the things you can paint/change. I'm going to end up looking like War in Good Omens if I follow this line of thinking. :devil:

Okay @crawfish99, if you powder coat the wheels (remove bearings powder, replace bearings) it seems you run unnecessary risks of shops messing up your wheels. I'm watching videos about this and it is an interesting mod I didn't know about. I think I'd would rather blow 400 plus on other things. Frugal side rearing!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I also might look into powder coating the wheels blue. I

Okay @crawfish99, if you powder coat the wheels (remove bearings powder, replace bearings) it seems you run unnecessary risks of shops messing up your wheels. I'm watching videos about this and it is an interesting mod I didn't know about. I think I'd would rather blow 400 plus on other things. Frugal side rearing!
LOL! ? If powder coating blew your mind, go check out hydrodipping. I might hydrodip my helmet. You can do all kinds of designs for relatively cheap. You could hydrodip the tank, wheels....possibilities are endless.

Agreed powder coating probably not worth the money. For that money, I'd probably rather have the power commando ECU flash (or get a custom tune).

I really liked how my bike came with black and silver but it's just fun switching up the look and getting it exactly the way I want it.

· Registered
145 Posts
LOL! ? If powder coating blew your mind, go check out hydrodipping. I might hydrodip my helmet. You can do all kinds of designs for relatively cheap. You could hydrodip the tank, wheels....possibilities are endless.
Agreed powder coating probably not worth the money. For that money, I'd probably rather have the power commando ECU flash (or get a custom tune).
I really liked how my bike came with black and silver but it's just fun switching up the look and getting it exactly the way I want it.
Hydro dipping looked insanely tedious and super wasteful (save the planet captain planet style). Too much effort then a rock comes along and chips it all to ****. I want to see your helmet should you choose to do it though :grin:.

I really think I would plan: vinyl cover bike then seat investment. I'm torn. If I did upgrade I'd go Vulcan S. I am seriously thinking about the switch but 2020s look so ugly and it isn't time. I've got way more miles to put on mine. (Don't kick me from the 400 team I'm had a momentary lapse in sanity).
So, helmets has me thinking. You know all the sales are happening now, right? If you join J & P cycles email list you get a $10 coupon on your next order of loot.

· Registered
1 Posts
@crawfish99 first off wanted to say your bike looks awesome. I looking into getting a ninja 400 myself soon and wanted to go the black and blue route myself (nerdy but want it to make the superhero Nightwing’s color scheme some). Any suggestions on how to go about the process based on what did and did not work for you? At the very least I wanted to do something similar to your bike but with a little more blue

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@crawfish99 first off wanted to say your bike looks awesome. I looking into getting a ninja 400 myself soon and wanted to go the black and blue route myself (nerdy but want it to make the superhero Nightwing’s color scheme some). Any suggestions on how to go about the process based on what did and did not work for you? At the very least I wanted to do something similar to your bike but with a little more blue
Thanks! I paid somebody to do it and the main part of the labor cost was taking off the vent piece and wrapping it. The shop had to take off the fairings.

If I did it again, I'd probably save myself a bunch of money and just plastidip the vent myself and let the shop do the rest of the vinyl on the fairings. As much as I like it, I don't feel it was worth $580.

Nice choice on getting the Ninja 400. I rode a couple of hours today and it's so much fun.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts