Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! I'm interested to know if money (and availability) was not a factor, what would be your next bike after the 400? I know that a significant percentage of people here probably already have "bigger" bikes either before the 400, or since they owned a 400 (or have gone back and forth between smaller and bigger bikes), so the answers are probably going to vary alot.

The reason I ask is, in my circle (which is quite small, and has mostly people on smaller bikes or have not been riding for a long time), it seems to bring up some heated discussion when you say "I would love my next bike to be a Z H2 or a Ninja ZX10R!". It seems to bring up some negative reactions when you want to jump from your first bike thats a small CC bike to "a big boy bike".

I would love to get some thoughts on this topic from a larger group with far more variance in experience. If you have already been through this I would love to hear what your progression was through different sized bikes or different category bikes!
Ez . Kawasaki H2R with Akrapovic exhaust .

·
Registered
Z900
275 Posts
Z900 here. I traded from the Z400, only for the ability to ride safely on mountain freeways. Awesome bike!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If money was no object, I'd get the BMW S1000R...that's my ultimate bike. Having said that, I've just bought a Honda CBR1100XX and that will keep me more than happy for the next few years. :)

·
Registered
2013 Ninja 300
153 Posts
Hey guys! I'm interested to know if money (and availability) was not a factor, what would be your next bike after the 400?
The natural thing to do is go bigger. It's challenging, fun, and intriguing, isn't it?
Many of us went progressively from 100cc or so to 1000cc or more and then came back to small bikes because they're a lot of fun, and much cheaper. We're down-graders. Each step up you make is a new adventure.
Many people skip steps. Many people learn on big bikes and they do just fine. Many people are just not coordinated enough to ride safely a small bike. Choose your own path.

Don't measure the bike by it's engine displacement only. It can be misleading. Check the power and the weight first.
If the the Z400 is around 45hp,/ 160kg, then a small step up would be something around 60 or 70 hp (Ninja 650), a big step would be 120hp circa (ZX6R), and a very big step would be 180hp or more (ZX10R).

What bike to get next would depend also on your experience on the Z400.
If you count the miles you've done in hundreds, then I'd wait until you can count them in thousands.
If you've had any accident or close call on the Z400, then I'd be very careful and not get anything too powerful until you can ride without putting yourself in risk
What type of rides have you done? City traffic? Highways? Mountain twisties? Track? In each environment there are different risks. If you rode only in city traffic, you're still a beginner in the more challenging places. If you only rode the Z400 on the city, then you get a 1000 and go to the track, you may feel overwhelmed by the bike and be at risk.

My way to the top was 100cc (15hp), 500cc (70hp), 600cc (100hp), 1000cc (180hp). I loved every one of them.
I started to ride the track with the 600cc and quickly felt that I could have more fun learn more on a smaller bike on the track.
For me, nothing beats the 1000cc on the highways.
My favorite bike on the city is my Suzuki DRZ 400 super moto.
And for the track and twisties (if there were here in South Florida), the best is the Ninja 400.

For most of us, motorcycling is a life long journey. Enjoy every step.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
some guys can't ride the 400 to its potential and they want to go "bigger" I just have to poke the bear 😝 😝
I am absolutely in that camp :D

If i ask myself what i truly think the z400 is missing for me, all i can come up with is "i cant do 3rd gear wheelies", lol.

But how often do i/would i ACTUALLY do 3rd gear wheelies? hmmmm

·
Registered
2013 Ninja 300
153 Posts
some guys can't ride the 400 to its potential and they want to go "bigger" I just have to poke the bear 😝 😝
Going bigger is ok for me. As long as you're good enough not to hit someone else with your bike, you can ride whatever you like. You don't need to be a pro rider to ride a liter bike. You only need to be safe to others, and have fun.
Maybe if you're training to be a pro, you really need to master the small bikes before going to the big ones. I have no idea about that. But for me, if you're after having fun and enjoy riding, nothing beats having the bike you love, as long as you're being safe to others.

For me, if you ride like an a$$hole and end up hitting someone, it doesn't matter what you ride. You're a clown a shouldn't be riding. And the same is true on the other side. If you ride safely, respect others and have fun, it doesn't matter what you ride either. You're golden. Be safe and have fun!

And, who can control any bike at 100% anyways? Even the best pro riders make mistakes all the time in every racing category. It's part of the game. At the end of the race, the one who made less mistakes is the winner.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts