Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a new 2020 Ninja 400. Last weekend I installed some frame sliders and a slip on exhaust. I started her up afterwards in neutral with the kickstand down a couple of times, checked all indicators and lights - they were/are working.

Today I went to turn on the bike. It was in neutral, but wouldn't start unless both the kickstand was up and the clutch pulled in.

I played around with some things to try and diagnose the problem:
  • Kickstand down and in neutral - bike won't start but is ticking over.
  • Kickstand down, clutch pulled in and in neutral - bike won't start but is ticking over
  • Kickstand up, clutch pulled in and in neutral - bike will start
  • When the bike is running and in neutral, I put the kickstand down and it continued to run.
  • When the bike is running and in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in, the bike turns off when I put the kickstand down.
I'm leaning towards it being a clutch issue, but surely if it was just the clutch the bike should still start in neutral with the clutch pulled in with the kickstand down? Does anyone have any clue as to what the issue is? I find it weird that it started up (in neutral with the kickstand down and clutch out) straight after I did the modifications (frame sliders and slip on exhaust), but not a few days later. I haven't been out for a ride since the modifications.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
42 Posts
As you describe the issue I suppose that the problem should be with the kickstand switch, even if the fact that the engine keeps on running if you put down the kickstand in neutral leaves me doubtful. Some bikes have not a clutch switch related with the kickstand switch so if you put down the kickstand in any gear, even if you’ve pulled the clutch lever, the engine will stop.
I haven’t picked up my Ninja, not yet, so I don’t already know how this works on that bike.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Howdy fellow Kiwi. It's fair to assume that it is a result of human intervention lol, but if the bike is still running OK at speed through the gears then that's the main thing. I guess all you can do is recheck all the wiring to the clutch switch and the kickstand cut out. Good luck Jacob, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Well, see'in yer up 'n running, (No matter what the sequence?) I'd ride it back to the smile'in Kawasaki dealer 'n ask them.
Howdy fellow Kiwi. It's fair to assume that it is a result of human intervention lol, but if the bike is still running OK at speed through the gears then that's the main thing. I guess all you can do is recheck all the wiring to the clutch switch and the kickstand cut out. Good luck Jacob, keep us posted.
Hey watch it Mr., I resemble that remark! :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
The ticking over part is what keeps catching my eye. Sounds like a lose ground wire, possibly associated with the kickstand switch or the gear indicator switch. I know this is in related but is the ground wire on the battery nice and tight?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Well, see'in yer up 'n running, (No matter what the sequence?) I'd ride it back to the smile'in Kawasaki dealer 'n ask them.

Hey watch it Mr., I resemble that remark! :LOL:

That looks like a proper work out Banjo. Two birds, one stone. Your a real ideas man arent ya! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:

Took her out for a spin this morning, it sounded like the bike struggled to start with the kickstand up and clutch pulled in.

Once I got back I switched it off, and with the kickstand down and bike in neutral with the clutch out it fired right up. This leads me to believe either something is slowly draining the battery when the bike is off, or previously I turned it on and off too many times and when the battery power drops too much the bike won't start unless the kickstand and clutch switches are in a certain position.

Upon some further reading, someone else experienced this with a Kawasaki Vulcan (bike wont start with kickstand down while in neutral?).

Seeing as riding it recharged the battery enough, I'll leave for for a few days and try and turn it on again to see if it's still all good. Thanks for all your suggestions and help everyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like a battery cable coming loose. put a wrench on your battery cables. doing only a visual inspection can be deceiving. Battery is to new for it to be a main concern and a parasitic draw is also unlikely. It is possible, but improbable. Battery is shipped disconnected from the factory and connected at the dealer. An improper install of cables would be most likely and my first place to start. Lose battery cables can cause all kinds of intermittent issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts