Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have a 2018 ninja 400 with 6,000 miles on it and I have put only 800 miles on myself. I am having a problem where if I try the shift from 2-1 the bike will get suck in neutral. I try slowly releasing the clutch with pressure on the shifter but sometimes it acts like it doesn’t even want to shift no change in display or anything. I have the jiggle the shifter around to get it into any gear. The bike was dropped on the left side before I got it but I replaced the shift lever so that’s in spec. Any idea on what’s going on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it feels like when downshifting for like a stoplight it will go to neutral instead of first then I have to fight with it to get into first. Once it gets into neutral it can be really difficult to get it back into gear. This happens when rolling or stopped.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
636 Posts
I have the jiggle the shifter around to get it into any gear.
Just to be clear, you should not be able to shift into any gear other than N or 1 while the bike is stopped and the engine is running, thanks to a "positive neutral finder".

(If the engine is not running, you might or might not be able to shift into 1 without moving the back wheel a bit.)

Otherwise, what @Duckman said -- make sure both levers aren’t contacting anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I decided to take off the shift lever and it does look like it was contacting the bolt head I highlighted in one little spot so I ground off a part of the shifter and adjusted it to sit a little higher up and it seems to have fixed itself. I still need to take it for a longer test ride but that seems to have fixed it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Carbon

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
1,023 Posts
I had to do the same with mine when I went with the Norton rear set adaptors.
I also like a lower gear lever as it's easier for me to shift whether gp shift or normal so modifying the lever arm did the trick and never an issue again.

Glad you got it going and enjoy the ride. 🤙

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
So I decided to take off the shift lever and it does look like it was contacting the bolt head I highlighted in one little spot so I ground off a part of the shifter and adjusted it to sit a little higher up and it seems to have fixed itself. I still need to take it for a longer test ride but that seems to have fixed it.
View attachment 25426 T
View attachment 25426
That’s kinda what it looked like to me but it’s hard to be sure looking at pictures. When you use aftermarket parts you have to look really close at the fit.

·
Registered
2021 N400 Teal (non-abs)
49 Posts
View attachment 25426
I'm definitely going to try this out. Pretty sure my 2021 does this too, didn't know it was an issue/could be fixed

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think you're right. If i just roll the bike it seems to downshift ok
And if you're rolling to a stop slowly while holding the clutch in continually as you go from, say, 4th to first, you may have trouble with the downshifting.
But if you let the clutch out for a split second after each downshift it'll shift fine. Only really an issue at slow speed when dropping down a few gears.
All bikes like things be spinning/moving when shifting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And if you're rolling to a stop slowly while holding the clutch in continually as you go from, say, dth to first, you may have trouble with the downshifting.
But if you let the clutch out for a split second after each downshift it'll shift fine. Only really an issue at slow speed when dropping down a few gears.
All bikes like things be spinning/moving when shifting.
Yeah, the moving part is the most important. Learned that the hard way before ever seeing a thread like this one unfortunately. Getting stuck at a red light in 4th gear wasn't much fun. Now I know I can rock the bike back and forth and get down through the gears if I accidentally do that but mostly now I just either know to hold the clutch and get to 1st as I'm rolling or just do proper downshifts to hear the nice exhaust pops if I'm not too lazy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the moving part is the most important. Learned that the hard way before ever seeing a thread like this one unfortunately. Getting stuck at a red light in 4th gear wasn't much fun. Now I know I can rock the bike back and forth and get down through the gears if I accidentally do that but mostly now I just either know to hold the clutch and get to 1st as I'm rolling or just do proper downshifts to hear the nice exhaust pops if I'm not too lazy.
Great thread everyone. I will keep this in mind as I too sometimes have issues w/it sticking in N and not going to 1st occasionally. Usually, I can just let the clutch out and it will 'clunk' into 1st. Other times I roll it some. Now I know. Thanks all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK guys, I am going to try to explain something that actually needs to be seen to be understood. This comes up on every motorcycle forum out there. When shifting a motorcycle, gear teeth are never directly involved with the shift. You will never hear the high pitched gear grind because we are never sliding one set of teeth into another, no synchro's, no gear to gear exchange. The transmission is constant mesh, gear tooth to gear tooth is always maintained, shifts are accomplished by sliding engagement dogs into corresponding dogs or windows. This is why a bad shift or a damaged trans. will result in a clacking sound. Splay the fingers on both hands, put your fingertips together tip to tip and push, this is the situation when the trans. dogs are directly opposing. Now move one hand slightly so that the fingers mesh, the situation when either the input shaft or output shaft move allowing the dogs to engage. When stopped if the dogs are directly opposing each other you can push on the lever until you break something and will never accomplish a shift. Either the input shaft, by easing out the clutch, or the output shaft, by slightly rolling the motorcycle must be moved to let the engagement dogs slide together. This question is so prevalent, and so many new riders believe there is something wrong with their motorcycle I think it would be wise for the manufactures to devote a few pages and photos in the owners manual to the function of the transmission. In addition. unless Kawasaki has changed the design the positive neutral finder is accomplished with a set of small steel balls inside the appropriate gear which prevents the shift until the shaft begins to rotate and centrifugal force throws the ball out freeing the gear.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Z400
24 Posts
Just to be clear, you should not be able to shift into any gear other than N or 1 while the bike is stopped and the engine is running, thanks to a "positive neutral finder".

(If the engine is not running, you might or might not be able to shift into 1 without moving the back wheel a bit.)

Otherwise, what @Duckman said -- make sure both levers aren’t contacting anything.
the PNF doesn't do anything coming from 2nd gear, as OP was having issues with, it only does something when going up from 1st

1 - 20 of 20 Posts