Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I understand it Kiwi Rider and myself are planning big rides next month. Please feel free to add your planned Big rides over 300 miles / 480km, your planned destinations, and the ride report after completion with info on bike performance results (routes, terrain) of anything you capture.

I have in the works a 3000 mile journey in April, with the journey from Northeast USA to Louisiana and return home again after a few days rest. The NE to LA journey will be two days divided almost equally, but the return home journey I am planning (if possible) an excursion of 1500 miles in 24hrs (weather permitting)

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you guys from?

Haha i wish i had the time to ride that much :) that ride sounds fun!
Kiwi is from New Zealand, I am living in the Northeast USA. Yourself?

I have aging parents and a good bit of vacation time (134hrs presently) with a max of 160hrs I can accumulate, so I need to take some hrs. off next month.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Mines not going to be anything hardcore, probably only about 1200miles spread over five days so no Iron Butt awards required for me! Will be more a social run, going to try and work the parental visit in too if possible.
But yeah definitely looking forward to a big run on the new machine. Have ordered new luggage to suit bike (may do a post about that in right place) and I've just now finished 1000km service so good to go once I clean the bike. Black shows dirt bad huh :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhere I saw a picture of a Ninja 400 with a rear tote (maybe a Givi),

KIWI what type / brand of bags are you going to install?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Somewhere I saw a picture of a Ninja 400 with a rear tote (maybe a Givi),

KIWI what type / brand of bags are you going to install?
I'm a minimalist when I travel by motorcycle these days, I hate carrying too much weight on the bike and upsetting the handling. I used to camp and all that stuff but nowadays I'm what some people refer to as a 'credit card tourer'.
I use the combination of a magnetic tank bag (easily pushed to one side when you fill up) and a sports bag on the pillion seat. No panniers etc. I just carry wet weather gear, a change of clothes and a toothbrush.

So the old bag I had been using on the CBR was too long for the shorter tail on the Ninja. A mate of mine showed me a tail bag he got for his MT-09 made by Bagster which is a French company.
It's called a spider tail bag and it's volume is 15 -23 liters depending on how pulled in or out you have it. Looks quite well made. I couldn't find a supplier here in NZ so had to order on line from FC Moto in Germany.

https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Bagster-Spider-Tail-Bag

Will let you know how I find it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had traveled last year with a back-pack and a tail bag which worked quite well. Not too much but enough. I like the design of your proposed tail bag with expandable area, just don't know if that would work for me with a back-pack over the shoulders loaded down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kiwi is from New Zealand, I am living in the Northeast USA. Yourself?

I have aging parents and a good bit of vacation time (134hrs presently) with a max of 160hrs I can accumulate, so I need to take some hrs. off next month.

South florida (palm beach).

Haha i only get 1 week of vacation a year, lame. I suppose i could just save up a bunch of money and take extra days off without pay.

Also, **** camping hahaha. Ill take a hotel or something. Never liked it when i was a kid, dont like it now.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts

Haha i only get 1 week of vacation a year, lame. I suppose i could just save up a bunch of money and take extra days off without pay.

Also, **** camping hahaha. Ill take a hotel or something. Never liked it when i was a kid, dont like it now.
Agree on the camping, it's a right faff at the end of a long day riding having to set up a tent. And then it starts raining... and then you have to pack away a wet tent in the morning...
Lets face it, the Ninja 400 aint a BMW 1200RS in the luggage carrying dept.

Only one week a year?? That sucks big time. Used to be law in NZ that everyone got three weeks paid leave a year but a nice government changed it a few years ago to four weeks. I guess we put more emphasis on lifestyle down this part of the world.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree on the camping, it's a right faff at the end of a long day riding having to set up a tent. And then it starts raining... and then you have to pack away a wet tent in the morning...
Lets face it, the Ninja 400 aint a BMW 1200RS in the luggage carrying dept.

Only one week a year?? That sucks big time. Used to be law in NZ that everyone got three weeks paid leave a year but a nice government changed it a few years ago to four weeks. I guess we put more emphasis on lifestyle down this part of the world.
**** me i need to move. Florida is over populated and under paid.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
1200 mile Easter ride

Got home today from my shake down ride around the lower South Island.
Not so much of an Iron Butt run but more a thrash around some good winding roads taking in four alpine passes around 900m above sea level and heaps of good bits in between. I rode four days out of five with the longest day being around the 400 mile mark.
That's enough when your sports riding and concentrating I find.

So it was a good chance to bond with the new bike and form a few opinions on how it I feel it performs. The only fly in the ointment being the engine light coming on after 500 miles, but I now know it was only the gear position sensor throwing a wobbly because I changed the final reduction ratio by fitting a smaller rear sprocket.

I was carrying about 10 kg of luggage on the bike but it wasn't really noticeable and didnt upset the apple cart too much even tho my tail bag was sitting quite high on the pillion seat.
Despite some liberal use of throttle and RPM's the oil level remained constant the whole trip, just a bit of chain lubed dispensed at end of play every day. The chain didn't need adjusting once either - great. So the bike was fuss free to live with on tour.

I've decided to rate the seat 'OK' comfort wise. I've had bikes with better but I've had worse too. It seems to be good for 2 or 300 miles before you start to notice it. I dont have a lot of padding on my rear to be fair! I did find I got pushed into the tank a lot tho and the seat feels narrow at the front. There is room for improvement.
The ergos are pretty good out of the box, no complaints there but I think on a long ride taller riders may suffer. My knees are already touching the front fairing at 5'10.5". I was expecting a bit of cramping in the back of the knees from the high pegs but it never eventuated. Despite my abundance of enthusiasm I never ground the hero knobs, so those pegs must be quite highly placed... or I'm just not getting it over enough Ha ha.

One thing that has surprised me with this motor is that it has quite a linear power spread/curve and actually isnt as 'revvy' as I expected it to be. I found I generally changed up before 9K RPM purely because there didn't seem to be much gained power wise by wringing it right out to redline.
I haven't ridden a N300 or 250 but I get the impression they need a bit more revvin to get them on the boil. Not so with the 400. I do wonder how much an aftermarket pipe would transform the power curve? I did really enjoy making the little girl sing at times tho :D

The handling is pretty impressive overall, particularly on smooth roads. It will make a great track bike! I think the frame rigidity and geometry is excellent. The front end suspension is pretty decent and the rear suspension is probably the weakest link in the chain. I think if I throw any money at the suspension on this bike it will be an aftermarket rear shock. You could probably get it to perform better if there was adjustment for compression & rebound damping but there isnt, so it is what it is - a cheap shock built to a price point.
But overall the sharp and (mostly) well mannered handling provided lots of smiles on my ride. 90% of the time it was stability personified. It was only when I really pushed it through some roughly sealed twisty sections that it misbehaved. Kawasaki has done a good job here striking a nice balance between providing a comfortable ride yet maintaining sporting pretensions at the same time.

The tyres are great, not one slip. I can see a flat spot on the rear now with 3000km on the odo. Will be interesting to see what sort of mileage we end up get out of them eh.

Fuel mileage wise I averaged 28.5 km/liter (67 MPG US) . Due to the high police presence being a holiday period I had to keep my cruising speeds down to around 65MPH and the taller gearing maybe helped but there was also a fair amount of full throttle action though the twisties and over the passes, so on the whole I was pretty happy with this figure.

So in conclusion the N400 gets a tick in the touring box from me. A competent machine that's comfortable enough for a full days riding and unfazed about carrying a bit of luggage. An easy machine to live with out on the road but spritely enough to also have a bit of fun with. :)

A few random pics from my trip:

P1000042.JPG

P1000044.JPG

P1000049.JPG

P1000061.JPG

P1000067.JPG

P1000071.JPG

·
Registered
178 Posts
That range, per gallon, is amazing! I am going to track mine, next tank, with moderate riding. I am sure that sprocket helped.

Pretty awesome stuff. Makes me consider a week-long trek. :)

What was your total distance, for the week?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
That range, per gallon, is amazing! I am going to track mine, next tank, with moderate riding. I am sure that sprocket helped.

Pretty awesome stuff. Makes me consider a week-long trek. :)

What was your total distance, for the week?
1200 miles, hence the title of the post :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Miami Here Brother!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Kiwi, That mountain view backdrop (pic #4) is a very nice shot. I am going to have to save that one!

Awesome ride and ride report, thanks for taking the time to post it.
Did the vibration change any after a few miles have been added to the total mileage of you bike?
One thing I have noticed about my 400 is at 65 mph the vibration is virtually gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Which tank bag is that?
It's an earlier version of this Oxford brand one: M30R Tank Bag - Black : Oxford Products
I have found it really good. Need a steel tank tho!

Kiwi, That mountain view backdrop (pic #4) is a very nice shot. I am going to have to save that one!

Awesome ride and ride report, thanks for taking the time to post it.
Did the vibration change any after a few miles have been added to the total mileage of you bike?
One thing I have noticed about my 400 is at 65 mph the vibration is virtually gone.
Thanks, the mountain in the distance is Mt. Cook, our highest at 3,700m odd.
TBH I havent noticed a change in the vibration but I guess it has been a gradual process so maybe it happened without me being aware of it. Yes it has a real noticeable patch of deep resonating vibration that feels like it comes more from the crank/transmission area rather than the pistons until around 6,500 then its gone. It's quite livable tho. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
One thing that has surprised me with this motor is that it has quite a linear power spread/curve and actually isnt as 'revvy' as I expected it to be. I found I generally changed up before 9K RPM purely because there didn't seem to be much gained power wise by wringing it right out to redline.
I haven't ridden a N300 or 250 but I get the impression they need a bit more revvin to get them on the boil. Not so with the 400. I do wonder how much an aftermarket pipe would transform the power curve? I did really enjoy making the little girl sing at times tho :D
Kiwi I like your pictures and the best one is, like @rde09 already said, the one with your Ninja in front of the mountains.
I guess, your feeling about the Ninja's breathing might be a little bit constricted, is right and you can see this on the attached pictures for a calculation about the throttle-bodies.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts