Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Make sure whatever you buy that you like the speakers. I have used several and have deep sixxed them all because the speakers were garbage. Id rather not use comms then to use crudy ones.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
201 Posts
For me the most important is a good helmet and thin speakers, my current helmet the recessions for the speaker are too shallow and the speakers make a pressure point on my hears so it was unbearable 30 min into the ride. I dont use comms at the moment because i use alpine earplugs, i prefer to protect my hearing.

I have a cheap Chinese intercom, i was looking at cardo ones, their sound quality is good i heard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So wanted to get some opinion on a Bluetooth headset, I’m thinking of going for cardo edge. what are some of u guys using?
The Schuberth SC1 installed the Schuberth helmet was expensive but worth every penny. It delivers flawless communication inside an ultra quite helmet. This is the only helmet I've used that does not require me to wear earplugs. Been riding daily with this system for 6 years and 3 helmets.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been using Sena units for a few years now.
I guess they are OK. They work better for bicycling and skiing than MC riding. But I use them successfully on MCs constantly.
For me, sound quality is very good, but that's a personal opinion.
The battery life is good, probably 8hr, they recharge via microUSB, they will answer a phone by saying HELLO into the boom mic.
You can hook to nearby rider by pushing a very large button.
You can buy an additional install kit that has speakers and boom mic, and put the kit on each helmet.

I would conservatively guess I have 800 hr on my oldest unit and it still holds a full charge. I have 3 complete units and they all still work, and 4 additional install kits. It appears my oldest unit is 2015 and still works. Newest one is a year old which is used daily.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
741 Posts

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
201 Posts
The Schuberth SC1 installed the Schuberth helmet was expensive but worth every penny. It delivers flawless communication inside an ultra quite helmet. This is the only helmet I've used that does not require me to wear earplugs. Been riding daily with this system for 6 years and 3 helmets.
What Schuberth do you have?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Price is good, what do you need to make it work, just a phone with a bluetooth connection? I have a flip phone, with bluetooth, but if it requires an app, I won't be able to use it.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
741 Posts
No app is needed -- you pair it like you would a headset... You can answer calls, change your music, etc., using buttons on the controller. But we only use it for intercom (not even music), as my daughter is still learning to ride...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
@Tracy and I have Sena 50S units, a friend has a Sena 30K. They seem to work very well, the mesh Bluetooth has good range.

I don't have experience with other brands or units. The Senas can be a bit fuddly to remember which buttons do what and to hit the correct button with gloves on. Voice commands have to be precise, so remembering everything exactly is a pain. But they will link up together easily and can use regular Bluetooth to link to other brands. The phone call feature was also useful and worked well. Sound was good (Harmon Karden). I also liked that voice directions from Google Maps on my phone come through clearly.

Reactions: Tracy

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
@Tracy and I have Sena 50S units, a friend has a Sena 30K. They seem to work very well, the mesh Bluetooth has good range.

I don't have experience with other brands or units. The Senas can be a bit fuddly to remember which buttons do what and to hit the correct button with gloves on. Voice commands have to be precise, so remembering everything exactly is a pain. But they will link up together easily and can use regular Bluetooth to link to other brands. The phone call feature was also useful and worked well. Sound was good (Harmon Karden). I also liked that voice directions from Google Maps on my phone come through clearly.
Ditto. I've ridden with several different people with different Sena models. Always linked up with really good sound quality. I had a Sena 5? Or something. The 50s will link with all previous models. 🐉

1 - 14 of 14 Posts