Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weathers changed here now, i'm only riding my N400 once every 2 to 3 weeks for about 15 mile in the dry to keep it running ok. However yesterday i pressed the starter button, it made a clicking sound 2 or 3 times then started. I assume the battery is low, hence the starting hesitation?

I'm wondering is it best to charge the battery in the bike or on a bench? I usually take them out with other bikes. Ok with the N400? I think it will be but just thought i'd check.

Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 馃槀馃悪
Weathers changed here now, i'm only riding my N400 once every 2 to 3 weeks for about 15 mile in the dry to keep it running ok. However yesterday i pressed the starter button, it made a clicking sound 2 or 3 times then started. I assume the battery is low, hence the starting hesitation?

I'm wondering is it best to charge the battery in the bike or on a bench? I usually take them out with other bikes. Ok with the N400? I think it will be but just thought i'd check.
If it's the stock battery it should t make a difference if charging in the bike or off.

I've had to charge mine a couple of times as I'm working more than I ride so I charge the bike while in the bike.

When I'm off to work for weeks at a time I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and she's been good to go whenever I get back.

You may need to do the same if you're leaving the bike for a few weeks at a time. 馃憤
Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the stock battery it should t make a difference if charging in the bike or off.

I've had to charge mine a couple of times as I'm working more than I ride so I charge the bike while in the bike.

When I'm off to work for weeks at a time I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and she's been good to go whenever I get back.

You may need to do the same if you're leaving the bike for a few weeks at a time. 馃憤
Good luck.
Hey great idea about disconnecting the negative terminal between rides. Thanks.

Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 馃槀馃悪
I actually use a car charger that has 6 amp and 2 amp charging with available 6 volt charging or 12 volt.

It is a smart charging system though as the more the battery gets charged the less current will be used to charge.

Once the battery is charged on the charger I use it uses a maintenance charge mode and gives juice when needed as the battery sits.

I do monitor the charge rate on the motorcycle batteries including the VTR battery which is occasionally charged to keep it fresh for when the bike is ready to ride again. 馃憤

Registered
Motorcycles are very fussy about have a battery in good condition.
As a battery ages, or has been drawn below 10.5vdc and left sitting, or left hooked to a manual charger too long, the peak voltage it will hold is reduced, and the rate at which it discharges while parked increases.
Many electrical problems can be caused by a battery that doesn't hold it's capacity long.

Ideally, you should hook MCs to a trickle charger or disconnect one terminal when left to sit for extended periods.

• Helpful
Reactions: Baxter

Registered
Now if your bike has a great battery, and it still doesn't crank well:
There are two common issues in water-cooled bikes:

A blown head gasket is hydrolocking a cylinder.
A bad starter motor. This is rarer in my experience.

Air-cooled it could be the engine is beginning to seize from aluminum buildup on the cyl walls.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

Registered
Definitely recommend charging first before trying other remedies. Occam's razor. A trickle charger with an automatic maintenance mode would be the simplest approach.

I've always used a trickle charger on my bike, but I have a garage. It would be different if I had to park outside or in a shared garage.

Registered
2023 Z400
Highly recommend a battery tender, I actually just ordered one from amazon for $60 which will be here tomorrow. The starter is the highest demand in a motorcycles and car鈥檚 electrical system, therefore a weak battery will be very noticeable.

Registered
Highly recommend a battery tender, I actually just ordered one from amazon for $60 which will be here tomorrow. The starter is the highest demand in a motorcycles and car鈥檚 electrical system, therefore a weak battery will be very noticeable.
Yep, during testing I have seen them pull 250-300 AMP on average in cars some are way more than that like bigger/commercial trucks(1000 - 2000).

Once it gets cold, or the weather changes drastic batteries that have some age to them and are in their last quarter or weak really take a big hit.
Working at an auto parts store as a 2nd job I see it all the time............ 60's and 70's with weather in upper 40's and 50's at night for weeks, then a sudden change to 20's at night and Boom! Next day everyone and their brother coming in with "Had to jump my car off this morning" or "It almost did not start, cranked really slow and barely started before not wanting to crank anymore" etc.
Same with the other way 70-80's and then close to 100*F

I would definitely approach the battery first thing. Not sure what parts store you have in Europe, but they might do testing for free on it. I know we do here in the USA

Registered
Walmart sells a battery tender for less than $20 bucks (not sure if the price has gone up). I have lithium batteries in all my bikes. They are supposed to last for 10 years. I brought a battery tender that does both lithium and lead batteries. All my bikes are sleeping in the garage where it never gets below 40 degrees. I put the tender on one of the batteries once a month. I highly recommend a battery tender for ALL bikes, one cold 馃ザ winter can kill a bike battery 馃攱.

Registered
where does the aluminum on the cylinder walls come from? post #7
I've seen it on dirt bikes, and it's from the piston on it's way to seizure, or has been seized. I don't remember if I've seen it on street bikes.

Reactions: Cris

Registered
Do you have to disconnect the motorcycle wires from both terminals before you put the charger on?
Or can you just clip the battery charger on with all the cables in place attached to the battery?

thanks in advance

I'm a little dissapointed, I took the z out for a spin yesterday, and although it started I could tell the battery was low - it has only been sitting for three weeks ( stock battery)

Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
You can change with a trickle charger (1 amp) without disconnecting anything -- the battery is only 8 amp hour, so just do it overnight. (You don't want more than 1 amp or more than 12 hours, if you can help it.)

Registered
Do you have to disconnect the motorcycle wires from both terminals before you put the charger on?
Or can you just clip the battery charger on with all the cables in place attached to the battery?

thanks in advance

I'm a little dissapointed, I took the z out for a spin yesterday, and although it started I could tell the battery was low - it has only been sitting for three weeks ( stock battery)
You should be able to clip the wires to the terminals without disconnecting anything. But many trickle chargers intended for motorcycle use include a short lead that you attach permanently to the bike's battery terminals and snake out to an accessible location where you can plug it into the charger with ease.

I have a Battery Tender brand unit that came with this sort of lead and also an alligator clip. I previously used the alligator clips on my riding lawnmower and switched the charger between the bike & mower over the winter. The charger automatically shifts from charging to maintenance, so it won't harm the battery. It's lasted for three bikes so far.

How old is your battery? I wonder whether it's nearing its natural lifespan if it's weak after only three weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone recommend a motorbike battery charger/tender please? or suggest what to look for when buying 1 i.e. a good brand to go for or a certain feature? i have 1 already, an old 1 that seems to work ok but i have 2 bikes to charge at the same time. i'm in the uk so can't buy from the usa but i bet amazon uk will have the same charger if you recommend 1 on amazon.

Registered
I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z2NFWW among others.
It is 1 amp which is good. It has a status light with explanation, good. It has a SAE pigtail for leaving it on bike, which is good, and it has lasted years, which is good.
What I do miss is a voltage display.

Reactions: Cris

Registered
Can anyone recommend a motorbike battery charger/tender please? or suggest what to look for when buying 1 i.e. a good brand to go for or a certain feature? i have 1 already, an old 1 that seems to work ok but i have 2 bikes to charge at the same time. i'm in the uk so can't buy from the usa but i bet amazon uk will have the same charger if you recommend 1 on amazon.
CTEK MXS 5.0

Smart battery charger so you dont have to worry about overcharging and can leave it for days if you wish although not nesccessary. Suitable for cars too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts