Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ninja 400 - left the key in the ignition, battery drained. This morning I tried to jump start with my car. The controls come up but when I press the start button, it gives several clicks and it does not start. Does anybody know what is wrong, if I messed things up? Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Battery is reading 5.3V. I believe it is past the point of recover.
most likely, but give it a shot either way, if you can get the bike to at least run with the battery in then do a 30 minute ride and retest the battery, if you can at least get it back upto 11v you might have a chance of it surviving

·
Registered
36 Posts
The battery is practically brand new. Move the ground/black lead to the negative battery terminal and try again. If all else fails, you can get a portable jumpstart pack to start the bike and revive the battery. Run the bike for 10-20 mins and once you've hit 10V or more any lead acid battery charger should do the rest to get it back to full charge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most likely, but give it a shot either way, if you can get the bike to at least run with the battery in then do a 30 minute ride and retest the battery, if you can at least get it back upto 11v you might have a chance of it surviving
I could not get the bike to start with the battery in. As the video shows, with the jump start cable connected to the car battery, controls come up. But then I hit the start button, it clicks several times but the engine does not start.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I could not get the bike to start with the battery in. As the video shows, with the jump start cable connected to the car battery, controls come up. But then I hit the start button, it clicks several times but the engine does not start.
Have you tried a bump start like Emud suggested?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried a bump start like Emud suggested?
Well it's just me and God in this wonderful country, man.

I tried to take it to a ramp and start it a few times. However the panel lights were not even on, I think the electronics would need that working.

I got the battery out and apparently I am being able to charge it. It was 5.3V, now about 11V. Still charging after a few hours. I will wait for the charger to give the green light and reassemble the battery to see how it goes.

I just hope I didn't burn anything else.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ninja 400 - left the key in the ignition, battery drained. This morning I tried to jump start with my car. The controls come up but when I press the start button, it gives several clicks and it does not start. Does anybody know what is wrong, if I messed things up? Thanks!
Hi hbucher... Your bikes fine, jump it with the battery removed from the circuit and it should start just fine... Your battery is 100% charged at 12.8 volts and 100% depleted at 11.8 volts. Heres the Kicker - even if you charge your battery back to 12.5 volts, it may not be able to hold its rated amps.

Your dead battery is acting as an energy sink, just remove the negative side off the battery and try jumping again. Attach the Pos + jumper cable to the Positive battery post and the Neg - jumper cable to the foot peg ( Note: Foot peg may not be a good ground ) and have another go - I would attach the Neg - jumper cable to the disconnected battery ground cable my self... the battery wont off-gas while disconnected.

Bet it fires right up..

Your bike battery is not a deep cycle battery, it was not meant to be fully discharged, which is destructive to the battery - hopefully you caught it quick enough... if not get a new Lithium-Ion battery, time out circuits aren't new to cars know idea why they don't employ them in bikes to prevent just this scenario...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi hbucher... Your bikes fine, jump it with the battery removed from the circuit and it should start just fine... Your battery is 100% full at 12.8 volts and nearing depletion at 12.2 volts.

Your battery is acting as an energy sink, just remove the negative side off the battery and try jumping again. Attach the Pos + jumper cable to the battery and the Neg - jumper cable to the foot peg ( Foot peg may not be a good ground ) and have another go - I would just go directly to the disconnected battery ground cable my self...
That is exactly my suspicion but I could not confirm. That leaves me MUCH more relieved! I thought I had toasted the bike.

I was able to get it to 11V with a Walmart trickle charger. It is still charging so let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Battery sounds dead to me. With a good battery, usually the voltage perks right up, and then the long tail of actually filling it up with charge. Lead acid really does not like to be over-discharged. Neither do lithiums (in fact some will puff and immediately be permanently damaged and/or unsafe!). Only nicad / nimh appreciate being fully drained.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You did the best thing by taking it out of the bike and charging it slowly off a charger rather than putting all sorts of surging loads through the system in a jump start scenario.

If you got it from 5 up to 11 Volts then the battery is not stuffed and I'm sure you have now hit 13 or more and are away laughing again.

As Mr Mike alluded too just because it's called a 12V battery doesn't mean that at 12 volts it's fully charged. You can safely charge to around 13.5 volts with no harm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think chargers actually top out around 14.2 - 14.5 volts. Personally I set my fancy charger to 13.2 to minimize battery bubbling / gas out. I had one bad charger (Deltrans Battery Tender) that would cook batteries dry at 15.8 volts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay I was able to get the battery up to 13.5V with the trickle charger. It took three attempts. In the first two the charger mistakenly showed me the green light meaning that the battery was charged but when I measured the voltage it was way below 10V.

The last time, it took the entire night on "charging" and in the morning I was able to read 13.5V on the battery and the bike started right away.

Lesson for next time: disconnect battery (no need to remove it though) and charge it properly with a trickle charger. Then reconnect the terminals and retry.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Okay I was able to get the battery up to 13.5V with the trickle charger. It took three attempts. In the first two the charger mistakenly showed me the green light meaning that the battery was charged but when I measured the voltage it was way below 10V.

The last time, it took the entire night on "charging" and in the morning I was able to read 13.5V on the battery and the bike started right away.

Lesson for next time: disconnect battery (no need to remove it though) and charge it properly with a trickle charger. Then reconnect the terminals and retry.

Theres no reason to remove the battery when your charging it...! just get this and attach it to your bike battery routing it under the pillion seat and add this to your current charger and your good to go.

Great if your not going to be riding for a while, or on a vacation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts