Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone possibly be able to recommend some decent starter tool sets I should pick up to do work on my ninja 400? I know that spending money on good tools is money well spent so budget may be somewhat flexible (no wal-mart sets).

I plan on starting with only basic mods being shogun no cut frame sliders and fender eliminator and maybe go from there. I have been starting a list of required tools I think: Torque wrench, socket wrench, magnetic retrieval, 8mm socket, 8mm hex socket, 14mm socket, 4mm hex and 5 mm hex (T handle hex set?), socket wrench, blue loctite to name a few things i've seen used.

Any recommendations and advice regarding tools is welcome! Thx!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Ideally for working on bikes seriously you want a 3/8th or 1/2" drive ratchet and sockets for the heavier stuff and a 1/4 " drive for the fiddlier stuff.
If you can only afford one go for 3/8th drive.

You want 6 point sockets not 12 point. You cant strip the bolt heads with 6 point as it is the same shape as the bolt head.(hexagaon)
You will need sizes 8, 10, 12, 14 & 17mm sockets for working on Jap bikes and if you get a 1/2"drive then get 19,22 & 24mm sockets as well for doing up axle nuts.
I prefer deep sockets myself.

Another 'must have' IMO is a set of ratchet spanners/wrenches. Make life so much easier.

For the works you are planning I would not waste money on a torque wrench. The sooner you learn how to tighten things by feel the better. Better off putting that money into better quality wrenches etc. You wont regret paying for quality.

Regarding the T handle hex set. Yes they are handy and relatively cheap for a whole set so you may as well get one. You will need more than just 4 & 5 mm.
But... if you end up getting a 1/4" drive socket set then definitely invest in hex sockets to fit. Invaluable for getting into tight spots with extensions on them and you can add a universal wobble drive or what ever you need to get a fiddly job done. You could get away with 4,5 & 6mm hex sockets if you have a full T handle set as well.

Magnetic retrieval tool - Good thinking! :grin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
This set is awesome and not just for bike related work - Bahco 94pcs S87+7
https://www.bahco.com/en/p/socket-sets-14-12-combination-wrench/cf-ce-4e-e4-14-b3-02-e0-3a-59-b9-25-44-2c-c7-31/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Socket-94-Piece-4-Inch-2-Inch/dp/B0007WGHR6

For torque wrenches, I've got these, but they cost about 100USD each and you'll need 2 to cover 5-100 Nm range (5-25 and 20-100 + some 3/8 to 1/2" adapter to use 1/2 sockets):
Screen Torque Wrenches - WB Tools

I think having at least 20-100 Nm torque wrench is essential to tighten the rear axle nuts after each chain adjustment, I wouldn't want to do it by hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
4, 5, and 6mm hex wrenches are commonly used on bicycles. Park Tool makes two 4/5/6 3-in-1 tools: AWS-1 has standard hex tips and AWS-8 has a ball-shaped tips for getting into difficult places.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Kiwi helpful as always. I should have added "including Basic necessities for beginners" thread now that i think about it.. I also should have specified the appreciate I would have for amazon links (FYI i'm in US).

Intro
Pix should be in order.
After researching basic necessities including tools as a total beginner (anyone else like me out there?) but also chain cleaning.
([Amnezida] Thank you, but that was JUST a little out of my price range in USD, plus only 8 vs 659 reviews in my link below- but shout out to the amazon link <3 and i'm praying mine has all the right socket sizes)
There were some good reviews of set i found on amazon. I *hope* it's not cheap stuff. Here is a compilation what I am thinking of getting. Please rate / let me know what you think.. or if this helps no one just ignore me (fyi im a noob and should be de-ranked, below junior member-kiwi plz make it happen so ppl are aware).

So this is what I have come up with:
(I may make a beginner 101 what to buy thread with more links)

Tools / socket sets:

TEKTON 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set, Inch/Metric, 6-Point, 5/16-Inch - 3/4-Inch, 8 mm - 19 mm, 45-Piece | 13101
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inc...1528339682&sr=1-19&keywords=socket+wrench+set

or

There's an off-chance i buy this in store: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...-12-in-drive-sae-metric-socket-set-63461.html

T-handle hex set:

(just the first thing i found-recommendations welcome)
Performance Tool W80275 Metric T-Handle Hex Key Set, 10-Piece
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X282TG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Chain Maint.

How To Clean & Lube Your Motorcycle Chain at RevZilla.com
[cuz who doesn't clean their own chain]

So RevZilla uses just plain kerosene? (Is all kerosene the same?)
SUNNYSIDE CORPORATION 700G1 1-Gallon Kerosene Fuel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNWHBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
(FYI: #1 review (23 likes ) of this kerosene is "WHEWWWW IT STINKS ----- AND IT WORKS WELL FOR CLEANING MOTORCYCLE CHAINS" so may just get it.... (how long does it take to use an Effing gallon of Kerosene?!?)
Also, there are so many cheaper grunge brushes but i have a feeling it's worth it? (let me know?)

SO: Maxima chain ****: Maxima: ChainWax, CleanUp, MPPL:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-74920...sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=motorcycle+chain+lube

ALSO (BUNDLE): (What's this other **** even used for?)
Maxima 70-749203-3PK Chain Wax Ultimate Chain Care Aerosol Combo Kit, (Pack of 3)
chain clean up, chain wax, chain
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFZU25...ba3d&ref_=pd_luc_rh_crh_rh_sbs_02_01_t_img_lh

(The Official grunge brush??) Grunge brush: Finish Line Grunge Brush Chain: Gear and Chain Cleaning Tool
https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-...preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch#customerReviews
Cheaper grunge brush? (is this gonna sh-iit on me faster?)

Is their wax, Finish line wax, any good??

(Too Cheap?) Grunge brush: Lebolike Durable Motorcycle Bike Chain Gears Maintenance Cleaning Brush Cleaner Tools
I won't even link it- just search grunge brush on amazon

Okay-too much research- I give up for now. Hope this helps out nubs. peace. thx <3.

-Overenthusiastic 3 week motorcycle poser.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The Tekton socket set by a country mile. It's slightly dearer but it will be better quality as its just covering 3/8th drive. The other set is trying to cover three bases but the sockets are short and 12 point. Not what you want.

The T handle hex set looks alright, they are much of a muchness really, I dont have an expensive set and they have done the job fine. Further down the track you can get a 1/4 inch drive ratchet set and hex sockets to suit if you want a quality set up.

Yep, kerosene is kerosene is kerosene. It's all I've been using for years. For a brush I just use old tooth brushes.

You've done well there and BTW, Admin set the parameters for rankings. I dont think there is a 'noob' ranking out of respect! I'm pretty sure after 100 posts as a junior member you automatically become a senior member. Not that it really matters.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Other essentials: Spools (M8), paddock stands front and rear (if you go for high quality like Pitbull or Woodcraft those will last you your entire motorcycling lifetime). And of course you would not be complete without a service manual.

I find keeping a maintenance/service log book helps in organization. You'll find all the answers when you ask yourself: when did i clean and lube my chain? when did i check and adjust my tyre pressure? is it time for an oil change? how is my wheelie progress, did i brush with death? etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the encouragement! And good idea on spools.. which is.. for doing work on the bike right? Oh and good call on the stand.. so will any paddock stand do?
So.. a question.. has anyone ordered stuff off of aliexpress (seems to have lots of colors which is cool)? I haven't done my research but I saw these green things and thought it might match my KRT edition and look super cool. pix attached.
Are those green spools sketchy? Would they even fit?

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I picked this up on sale today. If you're in the U.S. could check it out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-in-Metal-Box-200-Piece-H200MTSMB/205897981

It will be a good/decent start and get you into more things than just your bike. I do a lot of basic repairs on our 2 cars, now that I have a motorcycle I'll do the work on that. I also do minor things around the house and fixing the kids bicycles etc, and this set should fit most of my needs. I've been getting a long with an older/smaller craftsman set I've had for about 10 years and I've got odds/ends here and there to help do some jobs that have come along. But this will fill in the rest of the holes and keep everything together.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Cool thanks for the encouragement! And good idea on spools.. which is.. for doing work on the bike right? Oh and good call on the stand.. so will any paddock stand do?
So.. a question.. has anyone ordered stuff off of aliexpress (seems to have lots of colors which is cool)? I haven't done my research but I saw these green things and thought it might match my KRT edition and look super cool. pix attached.
Are those green spools sketchy? Would they even fit?
Ive had good results with cheap paddock stands if that's all your budget can cater for.

Spools are a muchness but just make sure they are 8mm thread.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Personal opinion but..

I wouldn't bother with fully anodized swingarm spools.The stand is likely to scratch the crap out of them over time anyway.

I'm running Vortex spools on mine. They won't look like garbage after use and "should" act as a slider / offer some protection in the event of a lowside.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vortex-swingarm-slider-spools

But.. At the end of the day, agreed, any should suffice as long as they are 8mm bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked this up on sale today. If you're in the U.S. could check it out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-in-Metal-Box-200-Piece-H200MTSMB/205897981

It will be a good/decent start and get you into more things than just your bike. I do a lot of basic repairs on our 2 cars, now that I have a motorcycle I'll do the work on that. I also do minor things around the house and fixing the kids bicycles etc, and this set should fit most of my needs. I've been getting a long with an older/smaller craftsman set I've had for about 10 years and I've got odds/ends here and there to help do some jobs that have come along. But this will fill in the rest of the holes and keep everything together.
Oh dang i actually would have gotten that one if I just hadn't ordered the Tekton. THanks man! Still will consider it for the future cuz it seems worth the value. About-- x4 amount of pieces for only x2 the price is cool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive had good results with cheap paddock stands if that's all your budget can cater for.

Spools are a muchness but just make sure they are 8mm thread.
Ah. Okay. So as a nub, i've noticed there are also 10 mm thread spools and possibly more- so those simply won't do I take it from my superior logic I have. I will order some 8 mm then.
Stupid question- do you leave the spools on even when you are not doing maintenance?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Oh dang i actually would have gotten that one if I just hadn't ordered the Tekton. THanks man! Still will consider it for the future cuz it seems worth the value. About-- x4 amount of pieces for only x2 the price is cool.
I would be too bothered. More bits for same money generally = lesser quality.
Also the sockets are 12 point.

Stupid question- do you leave the spools on even when you are not doing maintenance?
Yes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts