Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have the slipping clutch problem on my 2019 ninja 400 and i want to buy the friction plates and springs from barnett. Anyone else who had the problem or used the kit from barnett could help me? Did the kit solved the issue?

·
Registered
530 Posts
For a 2019, you‘ll also want to install the updated pressure plate bearing & pull rod. Kawasaki updated those parts for 2020 400’s so you’ll be able to use all of the friction material on the friction plates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a 2019, you‘ll also want to install the updated pressure plate bearing & pull rod. Kawasaki updated those parts for 2020 400’s so you’ll be able to use all of the friction material on the friction plates.
They are really nessary? Because i live in Romania and the shipping costs are killing me. For the friction plates and springs i have to pat 85$ just for shipping

·
Registered
530 Posts
Those two parts should pay for themselves by making your friction plates last way longer - I would definitely include them. That’s some insane shipping, at least the pull rod & bearing are small. Is there no Kawasaki dealer in Romania?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those two parts should pay for themselves by making your friction plates last way longer - I would definitely include them. That’s some insane shipping, at least the pull rod & bearing are small. Is there no Kawasaki dealer in Romania?
I think I have some dealers in Romania. I might have to make some calls and ask them if they have the parts. And I know the shipping is insane, but only in USA I found hevy duty springs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In short, the clearance on the '18/'19 pullrod/bearing is wrong. It bottoms out before the clutch plates are actually used up. I was starting to get occasional slippage after a few thousand fairly-easy miles. Changing those two parts out for the '20 versions (46102-0648 and 92045-0937) made it behave just like when it was brand new. As far as I'm concerned, every '18/'19 should install these parts - heck, maybe it should even be a recall.

The HD springs will help hold the clutch and return the lever better. It's pretty common for these little Ninjas to have weak clutch springs to make a softer lever for beginners. I don't think the springs make a huge difference, but they do help.

I bought the whole Norton kit with the modified shift shaft and shift star. I wanted to replace any factory weak points while I was in there, since I'm planning to keep the bike a while. The only thing I didn't get was new friction plates, because I only had a few thousand miles on the stock parts, and the updated pullrod/bearing fixed the clearances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In short, the clearance on the '18/'19 pullrod/bearing is wrong. It bottoms out before the clutch plates are actually used up. I was starting to get occasional slippage after a few thousand fairly-easy miles. Changing those two parts out for the '20 versions (46102-0648 and 92045-0937) made it behave just like when it was brand new. As far as I'm concerned, every '18/'19 should install these parts - heck, maybe it should even be a recall.

The HD springs will help hold the clutch and return the lever better. It's pretty common for these little Ninjas to have weak clutch springs to make a softer lever for beginners. I don't think the springs make a huge difference, but they do help.

I bought the whole Norton kit with the modified shift shaft and shift star. I wanted to replace any factory weak points while I was in there, since I'm planning to keep the bike a while. The only thing I didn't get was new friction plates, because I only had a few thousand miles on the stock parts, and the updated pullrod/bearing fixed the clearances.
I just bought friction plates, spings, pull rod+bearing and clutch assist spring front spearss racing.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have seen only 2 in the whole country, last time I checked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
First ride with the Barnett clutch plates and springs installed.

Solid. Yup, super solid. Heavy handing no problem.

My oem clutch, 2018, would show its slippage mostly 4-5 and 5-6. i knew it, so I adjusted and was easier on those shifts.

The Barnett mods make the clutch bomber. Heavy handed shift drops any gear, solid. Gets the front lifting 1-2 and even a little dropped 2-3. Definitely a worthy mod. Huge kudos to Norton Motorsports for sorting it all. Just a rip up Kings Mountain to test the clutch. Well worth the three hours to do the clutch mod. Def the way it should have been from the factory, but I get what Kawasaki is doing and the decision points they made for such an economic lightweight masterpiece.

·
Registered
394 Posts
First ride with the Barnett clutch plates and springs installed.

Solid. Yup, super solid. Heavy handing no problem.

My oem clutch, 2018, would show its slippage mostly 4-5 and 5-6. i knew it, so I adjusted and was easier on those shifts.

The Barnett mods make the clutch bomber. Heavy handed shift drops any gear, solid. Gets the front lifting 1-2 and even a little dropped 2-3. Definitely a worthy mod. Huge kudos to Norton Motorsports for sorting it all. Just a rip up Kings Mountain to test the clutch. Well worth the three hours to do the clutch mod. Def the way it should have been from the factory, but I get what Kawasaki is doing and the decision points they made for such an economic lightweight masterpiece.
How would you say launching compares between Barnett and oem?

·
Registered
112 Posts
How would you say launching compares between Barnett and oem?
Very responsive launching. I would say the oem clutch gripped fairly well off the line and 1-2 for me. It was forgiving, but solid enough.

The Barnett plates and springs make the launch solid and crisp. Having good finger sense on the clutch lever will be slightly more prevalent than with the oem. The parts overall are reasonable for the huge increase in clutch performance. How many times do you pull your clutch on a ride? How many times would you have a better experience? Two thumbs up here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts