Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone rocking bar end mirrors on their N400? Haven’t decided if I want to switch over or not. What are the pros and cons of bar end mirrors vs the stock mirrors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I fit either one bar end or both sides to my bikes because I dont like the styling of a lot of the modern mirrors. Look too much like bug antennae for my liking and I also find them distracting in my field of vision.

The main pro for bar ends is you dont get any views of your shoulders blocking out the rest of the view. Also they weigh less.

Cons is that they take some getting used to as you have to turn your head more and look away from the road to use them.
The glass size tends to be smaller than the OEM ones as well.

I quite like the latest ones I have on my N400 but they are tinted a bluey color which kind of makes them less sharp.
See my post from mirror thread:
https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/14515-post8.html

·
Registered
744 Posts
I find the stock mirrors are perfectly fine when adjusted properly. And you won't be adjusting them all the time, it's set it and forget it.

With bar ends you'll find them more bothersome to use because it'll require more head movement, especially in congested city riding where you're constantly cranking your eyes n neck scanning for cagers. You will now and then inadvertently knock them off alignment. May make lane filtering trickier. Although it definitely cleans up the look of the bike. But I would take function over form in this area.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Looking at the tutorial video it appears they are designed to go in the end of the bar. If the diameter is the same you could possibly clamp them around your clip on further in but there's not much space there because you have the switch blocks in the way so they would be so far in they would be useless.
Why would you want to do that? They already have a design feature so that you can fold them in for lane splitting or garaging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fit either one bar end or both sides to my bikes because I dont like the styling of a lot of the modern mirrors. Look too much like bug antennae for my liking and I also find them distracting in my field of vision.

The main pro for bar ends is you dont get any views of your shoulders blocking out the rest of the view. Also they weigh less.

Cons is that they take some getting used to as you have to turn your head more and look away from the road to use them.
The glass size tends to be smaller than the OEM ones as well.

I quite like the latest ones I have on my N400 but they are tinted a bluey color which kind of makes them less sharp.
See my post from mirror thread:
https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/14515-post8.html
I have the same bar end mirrors. However when I take off the end of the bar, there is a metal insert inside the handlebar, that has a different thread size to the mirror inserts that I received. Do I need to take this bar insert out somehow and then insert the mirror insert?

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I have the same bar end mirrors. However when I take off the end of the bar, there is a metal insert inside the handlebar, that has a different thread size to the mirror inserts that I received. Do I need to take this bar insert out somehow and then insert the mirror insert?
I've just been out to the garage to have a look at the OEM bars I have stored on a shelf. I see what you mean, looks like that threaded end cap is welded on too. I didnt have this problem as I fitted aftermarket bars that are hollow. You could drill those threaded end caps out larger but it's a bit of a job as you would need to go out to about 16/17mm or such like.
Someone else who has fitted bar end mirrors to the OEM bars may be able to help here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking for bar ends...

Looking for delrin bar ends to replace the heavy stock units. Most everything I see of a universal fit that goes in a hollow bar.

Is there anything that is a specific fit to the N400 that mounts like the stock units?

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Aklipses,
I have the same colour Z400 and keen on the same style of bar ends, what exactly did you need to do to make them fit?

Was looking at getting these:

Thoughts??
Apologies for the super late reply, I didnt received any notifcation for some reason. I played around with a few m8 to m6 adapters for our handle bars since our handle bars are threaded M8 size. Driven has an adapter that's made perfectly to most M6 universal barend mirrors. "Driven Bar End Adapter M8 to M6 Reducer DBEW-ADP8"

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I had some old CRG's in the garage and mounted them. It took some tweaking! I had to elongate the throttle/switch-block positioning hole in the handlebar (moved it about 3/16" inward) to mount the throttle side (otherwise, the throttle would drag). The clutch side worked okay as it is. The factory bar end weights help hold the mirror mounts in place. I'm not sure I like the setup yet as I just mounted them. Time will tell. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How are the CRG mirror setup working for you?

I had some old CRG's in the garage and mounted them. It took some tweaking! I had to elongate the throttle/switch-block positioning hole in the handlebar (moved it about 3/16" inward) to mount the throttle side (otherwise, the throttle would drag). The clutch side worked okay as it is. The factory bar end weights help hold the mirror mounts in place. I'm not sure I like the setup yet as I just mounted them. Time will tell. Cheers!

View attachment 13241

View attachment 13242

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Love them!

·
Registered
744 Posts
What makes the CRG's great and expensive is it uses real glass, not plastic so clarity is tops. And the mirror shape is convex to provide maximum viewing angle. You could probably get away with just one mirror as the field of view is very wide. No experience with Chinese models, doubt they use these features. But being a bar-end mirror objects in mirror will appear blurry due to pronounced vibrations at higher rpm's ie highway cruising. I'm now rocking the CRG ARROW, which I love the look of.

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
But being a bar-end mirror objects in mirror will appear blurry due to pronounced vibrations at higher rpm's ie highway cruising. I'm now rocking the CRG ARROW, which I love the look of.
After reading your comment yesterday, I became curious about my possible mirror vibes. So, this morning after a quick Dragon pass, I decided to head home which gave me the opportunity to run up to an indicated 87 MPH for about half a mile. Guess what? To my gleeful surprise, my CRG’s were both dead still with perfectly clear images. I wonder if our differences in tire pressures and/or tire balancing might explain our different results?

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
744 Posts
After reading your comment yesterday, I became curious about my possible mirror vibes. So, this morning after a quick Dragon pass, I decided to head home which gave me the opportunity to run up to an indicated 87 MPH for about half a mile. Guess what? To my gleeful surprise, my CRG’s were both dead still with perfectly clear images. I wonder if our differences in tire pressures and/or tire balancing might explain our different results?

Glad it's working out for you flawlessly! Yeah, I'm still on stock tires, balanced, 28F/32R psi's. And it occurs in all, even the smoothest of roads. I doubt it's the tires causing the blurriness. More like lightweight woodcraft clip-ons, with hardly 'weighted' RhinoMoto bar-ends barely helping the cause. Still looking for ultra heavyweight bar-ends for these CRG's or I'll just add some more weight to the RhinoMoto ones.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
What makes the CRG's great and expensive is it uses real glass, not plastic so clarity is tops. And the mirror shape is convex to provide maximum viewing angle. You could probably get away with just one mirror as the field of view is very wide. No experience with Chinese models, doubt they use these features. But being a bar-end mirror objects in mirror will appear blurry due to pronounced vibrations at higher rpm's ie highway cruising. I'm now rocking the CRG ARROW, which I love the look of.
Like HK I'm not getting any blurring with aluminium bars and cheap Chinese bar ends. Your right about the glass qulaity tho. The worst feature of mine is the glass has a blue tint to it, maybe to make them look cool but it affects the clarity somewhat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts