Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to change my oil and filter at 2k miles just because I didn't know what the dealer used and if there was anything left in the engine/filter during the break-in period - I wanted it gone. I used Motul 300V Synthetic Engine Oil 10w40. Went for a long ride after that. I felt the bike smoother and less viby. Тhe bike did just great during the 3,30 hour trip including highway and twisties. It was 100 degrees and I didn't felt heat from the engine or anything like that. There are a few things that I really didn't like.

1 - Seat - OH MY GOD I barely got home.
2 - Pain in the right hand. Could be the small grip or just my $80 gloves suck.
3 - There was front wind that killed my neck. It exhausted me sooooo much. Even though I put the Puig windscreen I DID NOT HELP. That was the first time I felt sooo uncomfortable on the bike. Any experiences? Is it my $150 helmet?
4 - Cruising on the highway 85 mph the RPMs are 8,500-9,000. Couldn't that damage the engine doing it for long periods of time? No overheating or anything, but the rpms are soo high.

Please share your opinion and experiences. Thank you!

Sharing some pics from the trip:

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Before anything I just want to say that is a very beautiful place. Where is that?

The seat; you will get used to it (kinda suprising you aren't now). In the beginning for me it was the same, hard as a rock, but today (2100km) its fine as ****, or maybe it just my ass lmao.

I have the same numbness in the right hand with my 200$ gloves, usually this happens when you are just travelling the highway and not changing speeds.. pretty much ideal for any bike I think

I have the same problem with the wind in highways, stock screen and Shoei Qwest helmet. Last week I went to a trip with him and while travelling the highway I sometimes just gone into MotoGP racing position, made me look ridicolus but it was worth it :D

·
Registered
120 Posts

I'm used to riding bicycles, so I'm a really bad person to ask about this. It's fine to me.

As far as this goes, again, not sure. Went on a 6 hour ride up and down the twisties and didn't have the same experience.

3 - There was front wind that killed my neck. It exhausted me sooooo much. Even though I put the Puig windscreen I DID NOT HELP. That was the first time I felt sooo uncomfortable on the bike. Any experiences? Is it my $150 helmet?

This was a large point of contention for me when I first got the bike. I have a Shoei RF-1200 and the wind noise was worsening my tinnitus; all I got was, "have you tried a scarf?" I got the Puig and that seemed to help a lot with the wind, instead of getting hit with wind from the belly button up, it's now at the neck and up. Still not much help for the wind noise problem. I just ordered Woodcraft rearsets and clip ons in the hopes that I'll be under the wind now.
One thing I did notice in my testing was that the stock mirrors seem to cancel out some of the wind deflection of the Puig. Putting the N300 mirrors back on helped a little.

4 - Cruising on the highway 85 mph the RPMs are 8,500-9,000. Couldn't that damage the engine doing it for long periods of time? No overheating or anything, but the rpms are soo high.

No, these are high revving engines, they like 8-9k RPM. If you are running it near redline all the time, increasing your oil change intervals a bit is a good idea. I run mine pretty hard, plus with these hot and dusty desert conditions, I know I'm draining more often!
How tall are you? You might just be a little big for the bike. I'm 5'9" and I feel like I'm just a tad big for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I decided to change my oil and filter at 2k miles just because I didn't know what the dealer used and if there was anything left in the engine/filter during the break-in period - I wanted it gone. I used Motul 300V Synthetic Engine Oil 10w40. Went for a long ride after that. I felt the bike smoother and less viby. Тhe bike did just great during the 3,30 hour trip including highway and twisties. It was 100 degrees and I didn't felt heat from the engine or anything like that. There are a few things that I really didn't like.

My longest day on mine is maybe 340 miles spread over the day. I am about to click 2k miles on it.

1) I have heard a lot of lamenting of the seat...but, man, I don't find it bad at all. Maybe I have a lot of extra organic padding, at 250 lbs. Then again, I have done 100 mile days when I was much skinnier, on just a fiberglass race seat. With bike seats, I usually find that more rides help the body adjust to the seat quite a bit.

2) I haven't noticed any extra discomfort in my right hand. Sometimes on longer rides, I do get some numbness. I just tried out some extra heavy bar ends, and it really seemed to smooth the vibes. I also am currently running -1 on the rear sprocket, which helps in that regard.

3) I just put the tall Kawasaki windscreen on, and I didn't notice much difference, either. To be fair to the bike, 85 mph is a fairly high cruising speed...and it definitely has minimal wind protection...not matter what you do. Even my buddy who is mid 5 ft and 130 lbs, commented on the slight wind protection (I am 6ft).

4) True RPM at an indicated 85 mph should be around 8k flat. That is taking into account speedo and tachometer error (both are off a bit). You have no worries. Ninja 300's and even 250's go many, many miles at high speeds while turning more rpm. However, if you are so inclined you could try just a small change in gearing to lower the rpm? But, as I say, really not needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Right Hand Pain

Just bought one of these plastic handle assists and it's been great for long rides. Very light and totally adjustable. Also easy and quick to remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts

I like photo #7 nice use of depth of field.

·
Registered
440 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts