Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, went to book in early for my 10,000km second service and was told I was actually well overdue already at 8,000kms??? I said to the bloke that I thought it was 10,000kms or so but he was adamant that it's service interval is every 6,000kms.

I went home and checked both the Warranty Book servicing interval and the Ninja 400 owners manual and there is a stark difference which has made me quite suspicious.

The warranty book requiring 6,000km intervals is printed in Australia while the Owners manual (which I assume is international) is printed in Thailand and it states 12,000kms.

Can someone with some inside knowledge explain what's going on here? I bought the bike brand new with the understanding that the service interval was quite long and now to keep my warranty they're telling me every 6,000kms (1/2 the international book's kms) I gotta fork out $200. To me it seems like there is a bit of a price gouge going on here and it seems fishy to say the least. I hardly think my Aussie kms are twice as hard on the bike as international kms lol. I think they're trying to pull one over me or they've been given a generic warranty booklet by Kawasaki and have just assumed all their bikes are 6,000km intervals and hereby "over-servicing" their customers bikes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This must be an australia thing as there is no service requirement for the warranty in the US. How much left do you have on the warranty, in the US the standard is only 1 year so the risk of the bike failing in that period is pretty low? Did you buy the extended warranty, is that what those service requirements are referring to?

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the USA, the 6k (kilometer) service is light and only includes California emissions and brake inspection...

(I expect you are qualified to inspect the brakes yourself! :))

The air cleaner is replaced every 18k, so that won't always fall on a multiple of the 12k service (unless you do it early).

Otherwise everything else seems to fall on 12k multiples (except things like chain that are way more frequent).

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I dont want to start an oil debate but (personally) regardless of what the books say, I would do my oil every 6,000km anyways, esp if you are not using a fully synthetic oil which Kawasaki dont from the factory.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont want to start an oil debate but (personally) regardless of what the books say, I would do my oil every 6,000km anyways, esp if you are not using a fully synthetic oil which Kawasaki dont from the factory.
I've got 2700 miles on the clock. I changed to full synthetic Valvoline 20W 50 at 600 miles. I live in the desert where it gets to 115 Fahrenheit regularly in summer. I changed to 10w 40 Castrol Power One at 2300 miles, as the weather cooled off. Going forward in your opinion, should I keep changing it at ~1500 mile intervals or now that the gearbox is broken in, am I ok to go 3k plus?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I've got 2700 miles on the clock. I changed to full synthetic Valvoline 20W 50 at 600 miles. I live in the desert where it gets to 115 Fahrenheit regularly in summer. I changed to 10w 40 Castrol Power One at 2300 miles, as the weather cooled off. Going forward in your opinion, should I keep changing it at ~1500 mile intervals or now that the gearbox is broken in, am I ok to go 3k plus?
Absolutely, if your using fully synth then you could easily leave it in for 5K miles. I change my semi synth every 5,000km (3K miles) but everyone does different things. Probably best you just do what feels right for you and gives you piece of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts