Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 400 is my definitive choice for my first motorcycle but I'm pretty sure it will look too small for me with its 30 inch seat height. On the Kawasaki website there is a taller seat but it only raises the seat by a inch. Any other options on the market?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If your local dealer has a Ninja 400 in stock, maybe you can pay them a visit and sit on it to see how you fit. If your knees are at an odd position, legs bent too much, etc. Once that's figured out, you can do things to adjust the bike ergonomics like extra padding in the seat (bonus it'll be more comfortable!) or peg relocation kit.

Maybe you'll be surprised and it fits you perfectly! I'm around 5 foot 6 and from what I recall I could barely flat foot it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got to sit on it at the motorcycle show last weekend, and it was the perfect size for my height (also 6ft). Everyone prefers slightly different ergonomics however, so you really wont know until you sit on it for yourself. Pretty simple adjustments can be made to the seat and pegs to find your preferred position.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 400 is my definitive choice for my first motorcycle but I'm pretty sure it will look too small for me with its 30 inch seat height. On the Kawasaki website there is a taller seat but it only raises the seat by a inch. Any other options on the market?
I’m 5’11” and just picked mine up a couple days ago. I fit perfectly on the bike, I haven’t put but 2 miles on it because of the horrible weather we’ve had since I picked mine up. I feel like I sit up higher than I did on the 300 but it’s been a while since I’ve been on a 300. It really comes down to personal preference. +1 for going to a local dealer to sit on it.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I’m 5’11” and just picked mine up a couple days ago. I fit perfectly on the bike, I haven’t put but 2 miles on it because of the horrible weather we’ve had since I picked mine up. I feel like I sit up higher than I did on the 300 but it’s been a while since I’ve been on a 300. It really comes down to personal preference. +1 for going to a local dealer to sit on it.
Seat height is same on both models @ 785mm or 30.9 inches.
I'm pleased to hear it fits you well at 5'11" as I'm just half an iinch shorter. I don't like having my knees bent at a too great angle for long periods.

Hey great that you got your bike, here's hoping you get a break in the weather so you can stop polishing it and take it for a spin!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seat height is same on both models @ 785mm or 30.9 inches.
I'm pleased to hear it fits you well at 5'11" as I'm just half an iinch shorter. I don't like having my knees bent at a too great angle for long periods.

Hey great that you got your bike, here's hoping you get a break in the weather so you can stop polishing it and take it for a spin!
It’s been below freezing and sleet/rain everyday since I picked it up. I know the seat height is the same, I think it’s a mix of the ergonomics and take that make you feel higher up when riding. I have ordered clip ons as I don’t like how upright I am, the rearsets feel like they are in a pretty decent position but my opinion may change after I do the clip ons. A sunny 59 on Sunday though, that’ll be my first chance to ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some people i know that live in building have it the best, they just ride around the parking lot when the weather conditions are bad which does go a long way for getting that riding fix when you need it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you concerned about how you will LOOK on Ninja 400? If you gonna dwarf the bike?
If yes, then I have a bad news for you: ANY sport or super-sport motorcycle will LOOK too small for you, with the exception of maybe Hayabusa or FJR 1300. :D

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
It’s been below freezing and sleet/rain everyday since I picked it up. I know the seat height is the same, I think it’s a mix of the ergonomics and take that make you feel higher up when riding. I have ordered clip ons as I don’t like how upright I am, the rearsets feel like they are in a pretty decent position but my opinion may change after I do the clip ons. A sunny 59 on Sunday though, that’ll be my first chance to ride.
What clip ons did you go for? I'm gonna start a clip on thread now so feel free to add to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you concerned about how you will LOOK on Ninja 400? If you gonna dwarf the bike?
If yes, then I have a bad news for you: ANY sport or super-sport motorcycle will LOOK too small for you, with the exception of maybe Hayabusa or FJR 1300. :D
I think that you're spot on. The ZX10R is about the same size as the Ninja 400 so I wouldn't worry too much. Leon Camier, and Loris Baz are both around 6ft and they manage to look ok on the CBR and BMW respectively!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I think that you're spot on. The ZX10R is about the same size as the Ninja 400 so I wouldn't worry too much. Leon Camier, and Loris Baz are both around 6ft and they manage to look ok on the CBR and BMW respectively!
I see we have another superbike fan on here, might have to start a Superbike thread before it kicks off this wkd.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am 6'2" and I have no issues riding the bike. The only thing you will need to watch for is your shoes will be sitting on the muffler.
Ya know. Im 6ft and have not had the shoes on muffler problem. Unless i just did not notice.

Also, at 6ft tall, if you ride for 2+ hours straight you might cramp up a little when you go to get off. But after a little 5 min stretch you should be back to normal.

Or maybe thats just me :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ya know. Im 6ft and have not had the shoes on muffler problem. Unless i just did not notice.

Also, at 6ft tall, if you ride for 2+ hours straight you might cramp up a little when you go to get off. But after a little 5 min stretch you should be back to normal.

Or maybe thats just me :)
I'm also 6 ft. When I was at one of the dealers a couple of weeks ago, I sat on the 400 for a good 10 mins and I felt a bit cramped based on the seating and peg position. I felt the Yamaha R3 was more comfortable but that did not deter me from buying the 400. I should be getting it delivered tomorrow unless the crappy snowstorm/weather here impacts the delivery date.

Similar to other riders, I had issues with my foot and the exhaust shield when I was on the ball of my foot and the seat felt hard. Not deal breakers since both can be fixed.

How anyone feels on a bike is so subjective since everyone is built differently and has different preferences when it comes to riding positions. I have a long torso and shorter legs and I felt a bit cramped on the 400. Someone with average torso/legs may feel differently. Arm length is rarely talked about but this would impact ones comfort level riding position also (e.g. handlebars or low/higher clip ons). Feet size are a factor also.

My advice is to go to a dealer and sit on different bikes to see how you feel.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I'm also 6 ft. When I was at one of the dealers a couple of weeks ago, I sat on the 400 for a good 10 mins and I felt a bit cramped based on the seating and peg position. I felt the Yamaha R3 was more comfortable but that did not deter me from buying the 400. I should be getting it delivered tomorrow unless the crappy snowstorm/weather here impacts the delivery date.

Similar to other riders, I had issues with my foot and the exhaust shield when I was on the ball of my foot and the seat felt hard. Not deal breakers since both can be fixed.

How anyone feels on a bike is so subjective since everyone is built differently and has different preferences when it comes to riding positions. I have a long torso and shorter legs and I felt a bit cramped on the 400. Someone with average torso/legs may feel differently. Arm length is rarely talked about but this would impact ones comfort level riding position also (e.g. handlebars or low/higher clip ons). Feet size are a factor also.

The distance between the bars and the seat is quite small on this bike and also between the seat and the pegs. See how you go. If the exhaust shield interferes with your heel then just remove it as I did. Problem gone and it still looks OK.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The distance between the bars and the seat is quite small on this bike and also between the seat and the pegs. See how you go. If the exhaust shield interferes with your heel then just remove it as I did. Problem gone and it still looks OK.
Once the bike is delivered and I get some riding time, I'll see if the exhaust shield really annoys me enough to remove it. If the stock seat still bothers me I may get the comfort seat or just wait for better seat options.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Size 12/13 triple E (foot) :D i must place my feet weirdly. Because all the pros/moto journos mention the foot muffler thing

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think the 300/400's are very comfortable, being 6 ft tall, myself. Even at 260+ lbs, the ergo's are pretty good.

These bikes are MUCH more comfortable than a dedicated sport bike, such as a 6R or 10R. Imo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I rode about 150 mi this morning. I noticed how i put my feet and why i dont touch the muffler. I put them forward so the front balls of my feet press down on the rear brake. I feel i have more control over it than using my toes.

Also, i noticed at 80+ mph, tuck or get your ass kicked. Haha i need a taller windscreen. And yes i rode for about an hour+ without putting my feet down. You cramp up in the legs a bit, but if you hit some stop lights and stretch youll be ok, i rode 3 hrs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts