Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I鈥檓 a new learner rider who has just bought my first bike,the 2021 Ninja 400 in the KRT colour. I know at some stage my bike will be dropped,But my main question is are sliders worth the money for the damage they save? Sorry if it鈥檚 already covered on here or seems a newbie question!馃挭馃槑馃嚘馃嚭

Registered

Good for low speed drops which are the most likely scenario anyway.
Cantilevered sliders are a liability in my opinion - you'll see two people in the above thread used cantilevered sliders and unfortunately trashed their frame attachment points causing more damage than if they had never had the sliders.

I'm using multi point attached T-rex sliders just in case I have a low speed drop.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate,still debating whether to get them or not but I鈥檒l definitely look at the ones you have if I do,much appreciated 馃

Premium Member
It all depends on what kinda crashing you plan on do'in? As pointed out above they can do more damage than good, butt just a simple tip over can be $$$, 'n in that case they'd save you bank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,my main reason for wanting them was to avoid damage from accidental tip over if it ever happens and I鈥檓 told it will. I was also thinking of the dreaded low speed turn or U turn tip over that I hear about.My bike is brand new and think I鈥檇 cry if it ever happens 馃槀I don鈥檛 want to go over board but I was thinking of the side sliders and maybe the front axle ones?

Registered
Thanks everyone,my main reason for wanting them was to avoid damage from accidental tip over if it ever happens and I鈥檓 told it will. I was also thinking of the dreaded low speed turn or U turn tip over that I hear about.My bike is brand new and think I鈥檇 cry if it ever happens 馃槀I don鈥檛 want to go over board but I was thinking of the side sliders and maybe the front axle ones?
Benny, welcome here and congrats on the new Ninja. It鈥檚 a great bike. When I saw all that plastic bodywork, I decided to get sliders. I chose the Offset side sliders by Woodcraft. Although the ones by T Rex were my other choice.
Will you need them???????
Picture below may help you decide. Exactly ONE foot outside my garage at almost Zero MPH.
Foolish me, in a hurry to get it out of the way so my wife could move the car. Front wheel was cut and I tapped the brake. Whooomp. Down it went.

Slider did its job and saved the bodywork.

This is what my finger looked like After I pulled a ligament trying to 鈥榮ave鈥 the rig, Whilst still holding the handlebar as it went over. That right there took about 2-3 months before it resembled normal.

That still hurts to look at.
RK

Registered
I also use the Woodcraft Street Frame Sliders, and they mount much better than the Kawasaki ones, IMO.

Maybe overkill, but I did use a slightly longer 140mm m10x1.25 12.9 bolt on the left side (also from Woodcraft) so that the thread engagement on the aluminum head was well within spec.

-- Rich

Registered
I also use the Woodcraft Street Frame Sliders, and they mount much better than the Kawasaki ones, IMO.

Maybe overkill, but I did use a slightly longer 140mm m10x1.25 12.9 bolt on the left side (also from Woodcraft) so that the thread engagement on the aluminum head was well within spec.

-- Rich
Rich, as I recall, Woodcraft sent the longer bolt for the left side WITH the sliders. Good memory, I had forgotten about that.

Also, the Woodcraft did not require putting any new holes in the bodywork. I liked that part.
RK

Registered
Rich, as I recall, Woodcraft sent the longer bolt for the left side WITH the sliders. Good memory, I had forgotten about that.
That's awesome!!! Eric and I had a long discussion about it. I've never seen a company so responsive to customer needs, which is why I will always buy their stuff given a choice now!

Registered
They鈥檙e more likely to do more harm than good with the kind of crashing I do. Might have saved me a piece of plastic and a bar end slider puck when mine fell over in the driveway from a couple leaves I parked it on, but not so much a week later when it slid over something hard - would have probably been writing off the bike if they had been installed and caught on the way over, frame would have looked like Muchacho22鈥檚.

Registered
Ouch,that looks expensive?
Since I dont have coverage for the bike (about 1.2k usd a year, not including another mandatory health insurance which i pay for another 1.2k~), It's still as it is. Didn't protect ****, switched the left fairing and overall with all the gear damage this slide cost me about 800 usd, And if I will tell you how much I payed for this **** sliders you'll have a good laugh. Simple slide at 20-30kmh.

Save your money and go with front axle sliders, case guards and spools.

Registered
its a matter of personal preference. Either you want them or you don't.

I have them for tip over or low speed protection. Hopefully I never have to find out if they work or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
its a matter of personal preference. Either you want them or you don't.

I have them for tip over or low speed protection. Hopefully I never have to find out if they work or not.
Yeah it鈥檚 the same reason I was thinking of them,more for low speed tip overs should it ever happen. I don鈥檛 actually mind the look of em though!

Registered
they will save you where most dumps take place......in your driveway and garage.on the road to **** with the bike. i am more concerned about my butt. insurance can take care of the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts