Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's probably more a case where a few bikes go wrong and the story gets spread around. And even then, it may be a matter of degree rather than a contrast of trash and treasure. But when a YouTuber like CycleCruza has problems with a Ducati and tells everyone that he wouldn't own one outside of its warranty coverage, the brand's reputation takes a hit.

Reliability rankings often put the Big Four at the top and many European manufactures toward the bottom. For example, this came out recently (admittedly, on a more entertainment oriented website): Ranking The 9 Most Reliable Motorcycle Brands Of 2020 (And The 6 Least Reliable).

Also, in an older owner survey from 2015, Consumer Reports said: "Consumer Reports’ survey of our subscribers shows that the Japanese brands are significantly more reliable than most bikes from other regions—led in order by Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki. Domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson were midpack, and Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am were the more trouble-prone brands. " See Motorcycle Reliability and Owner Satisfaction - Consumer Reports

So I think there's something to it, but the difference might be exaggerated in the public eye.
I take reliability data with a grain of salt now that I have a bit better understanding how those stats and failure rates are determined. I work in a different industry (power tools) but I'm in the tech service department and work directly with the guys that calculate all of our product failure rates, warranty claims, etc. and that's done very similarly in all industries that have similar structures (as in a dealer network selling to end users). Imagine you have a product, say a motorcycle, that has a 50% failure rate. Many would say "holy crap, that's an unreliable POS!" , but the fact is every single failure is counted in the stats regardless of what it is. So on this motorcycle model that has a 50% failure rate it means that if they sold X amount of motorcycles, there have been X/2 reported failures...it could be that the warning labels fell off the swing arm on half the bikes they sold, or that the screws that hold the license plate fell off on half of them. Little things like that count as failures if reported by the dealers. But does that really mean the machine is bad? No. You'd be amazed how many "failures" or warranty claims I've seen from some of our battery products because supposedly the battery doesn't last long enough, when in fact there is nothing wrong with the product and the battery lasts exactly the amount of time we specify, but people are too lazy to look in the manual so they think there's something wrong lol

·
Registered
878 Posts
I take reliability data with a grain of salt now that I have a bit better understanding how those stats and failure rates are determined. I work in a different industry (power tools) but I'm in the tech service department and work directly with the guys that calculate all of our product failure rates, warranty claims, etc. and that's done very similarly in all industries that have similar structures (as in a dealer network selling to end users). Imagine you have a product, say a motorcycle, that has a 50% failure rate. Many would say "holy crap, that's an unreliable POS!" , but the fact is every single failure is counted in the stats regardless of what it is. So on this motorcycle model that has a 50% failure rate it means that if they sold X amount of motorcycles, there have been X/2 reported failures...it could be that the warning labels fell off the swing arm on half the bikes they sold, or that the screws that hold the license plate fell off on half of them. Little things like that count as failures if reported by the dealers. But does that really mean the machine is bad? No. You'd be amazed how many "failures" or warranty claims I've seen from some of our battery products because supposedly the battery doesn't last long enough, when in fact there is nothing wrong with the product and the battery lasts exactly the amount of time we specify, but people are too lazy to look in the manual so they think there's something wrong lol
So it's kinda like crash data? If a person was going 1 mph over, speed contributed to the crash? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have known several people who owned Aprilia's, none of them had any issues out of them. One had an older RSV1000R Mille and he had some leaking fork seals (Ohlins forks) and a voltage regulator issue, which both were known issues and easily fixed by swapping out another models regulator and seals.

Now that is interesting they rate Suzuki up so high, I have not only known of many 600/750's that had issues with voltage regulators, ecu's, etc...as well as owned one that did....

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Thanks for posting the ride review. I think this is a brilliant bike. It is priced more in line with a Kawasaki 636 than a Ninja 650. I have two friends with Aprilias and both love them. If the bike purchase is only about saving a penny, you should probably stay away from all euro bikes period.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Thanks for posting the ride review. I think this is a brilliant bike. It is priced more in line with a Kawasaki 636 than a Ninja 650. I have two friends with Aprilias and both love them. If the bike purchase is only about saving a penny, you should probably stay away from all euro bikes period.
Lol right............a Kia Rio is much cheaper to drive than a Ferrari 488 Pista, and the Kia pretty much only gets you from point A to point B.......but which one fuels your passion and moves your soul? I mean the Ferrari just sitting still sparks something inside you...........at least for me, definitely not the Kia, lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's probably more a case where a few bikes go wrong and the story gets spread around. And even then, it may be a matter of degree rather than a contrast of trash and treasure. But when a YouTuber like CycleCruza has problems with a Ducati and tells everyone that he wouldn't own one outside of its warranty coverage, the brand's reputation takes a hit.

Reliability rankings often put the Big Four at the top and many European manufactures toward the bottom. For example, this came out recently (admittedly, on a more entertainment oriented website): Ranking The 9 Most Reliable Motorcycle Brands Of 2020 (And The 6 Least Reliable).

Also, in an older owner survey from 2015, Consumer Reports said: "Consumer Reports’ survey of our subscribers shows that the Japanese brands are significantly more reliable than most bikes from other regions—led in order by Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki. Domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson were midpack, and Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am were the more trouble-prone brands. " See Motorcycle Reliability and Owner Satisfaction - Consumer Reports

So I think there's something to it, but the difference might be exaggerated in the public eye.
I just read some guy's post on a local motorcycle facebook group, saying he's a owner of 701 Vitpilen for a year and half now and in that time the clutch hydraulic pump has failed 4 times and needed to be replaced, 15k kilometers. That about sums it up for me in addition to what I already know about problems with euro's.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
I just read some guy's post on a local motorcycle facebook group, saying he's a owner of 701 Vitpilen for a year and half now and in that time the clutch hydraulic pump has failed 4 times and needed to be replaced, 15k kilometers. That about sums it up for me in addition to what I already know about problems with euro's.
WOW, that guy got a lemon, Husqvarna's bikes are known for their robustness. My Husky dirt bike and chainsaw have been flawless. I beat both of them horribly and both keep working...
When I bough my Ducati, I knew from the get go that it was going to require much more maintenance and be a pain in the arse but it has been a dream bike of mine since the first day I saw it on the showroom floor years ago. Not only did I buy a Ducati but a used one at that. When I throw a leg over and go for a spin over a mountain pass, 90% of me is in love, especially as I learn how to handle it. The other 10% is waiting for a malfunction. So far after 3,000 miles, only an oil change and bleeding the clutch. It is a good thing we all have different riding expectations or we would all be riding Honda scooters!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lol right............a Kia Rio is much cheaper to drive than a Ferrari 488 Pista, and the Kia pretty much only gets you from point A to point B.......but which one fuels your passion and moves your soul? I mean the Ferrari just sitting still sparks something inside you...........at least for me, definitely not the Kia, lol
I agree on the "moves your soul" point. But where I live, the Kia and the Ferrari are evenly matched because they would be stuck behind a semi and a rusty minivan, both doing 5 under. :LOL::p:ROFLMAO: [My not-so-secret confession is that an old MGB is the cage that stirs my soul, maybe a Triumph Spitfire.]

Back to motorcycles, I've only once taken a supersport for an extended ride (about an hour on a ZX-10R). The ergos were uncomfortable. I could see it moving my soul for a short blast, but irking my soul after a day-long ride, and downright crushing my soul on a weeklong trip. But that's me at my present age, maybe I'd get used to it and have a blast or maybe it would appeal more if I was 40 years younger? And that's not intended as a criticism of anyone's preference. Just for me, the bike I always want to get back on and ride will move my soul more than a bike that I can take only in small doses.

And on the topic of this Aprilia, a comment in the article hints that a naked version with potentially milder ergos may also be produced. It would still be expensive, but it would provide competition among bikes I'd personally like.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
You'll always hear (repeated) horror stories about European bikes, possibly because when it does go wrong it tends to cost more and the owners make a lot of noise about it lol. Just like the cars.
I've had two Dukes and one Beemer. Didnt have any dramas with any of them other than anything that was inflicted apon them by previous owners ignorance. ie not changing the separate gearbox oil on the BMW.

If i had the spare coin I would happily buy another Euro bike.
There's probably a thread somewhere on a Euro bike forum where our bike gets a mention for it's clutch woes! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I agree on the "moves your soul" point. But where I live, the Kia and the Ferrari are evenly matched because they would be stuck behind a semi and a rusty minivan, both doing 5 under. :LOL::p:ROFLMAO: [My not-so-secret confession is that an old MGB is the cage that stirs my soul, maybe a Triumph Spitfire.]

Back to motorcycles, I've only once taken a supersport for an extended ride (about an hour on a ZX-10R). The ergos were uncomfortable. I could see it moving my soul for a short blast, but irking my soul after a day-long ride, and downright crushing my soul on a weeklong trip. But that's me at my present age, maybe I'd get used to it and have a blast or maybe it would appeal more if I was 40 years younger? And that's not intended as a criticism of anyone's preference. Just for me, the bike I always want to get back on and ride will move my soul more than a bike that I can take only in small doses.

And on the topic of this Aprilia, a comment in the article hints that a naked version with potentially milder ergos may also be produced. It would still be expensive, but it would provide competition among bikes I'd personally like.
Yeah, there will come a day when I can say the same........but if can I still hit the track in my old age, for that 20 min session, I can say the supersport will move me more than the Goldwing would, lol

Yes, my dad owned several MGB's before I was born and when I was little.......he also had a Triumph TR250 I remember when I was very small (US version of the TR5)
Actually, it was one of his MGB's my mom intentionally bought from him, that brought them together....she got him to work on it, when it would have issues, as part of the deal.......which me and my 5 brothers and sisters tells the rest of the story...a reliable souless Kia Rio would never present such an opportunity.......boring and bland...lol

On another note, they do in fact own a Kia Soul now......lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
11,300...... was expecting it to be much more. If I were to get one it would be the multi colored one. The blue/purple/black, I don’t like the gold or whatever that color is. The black one is decent, I could live with that. Looking forward to seeing one in person and throwing a leg over on one and RIDING IT!!! Maybe a used one will be in my garage in the future. 🤔

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
11,300...... was expecting it to be much more. If I were to get one it would be the multi colored one. The blue/purple/black, I don’t like the gold or whatever that color is. The black one is decent, I could live with that. Looking forward to seeing one in person and throwing a leg over on one and RIDING IT!!! Maybe a used one will be in my garage in the future. 🤔
Right I will also definitely have to ride it first before I decide anything...if it feels as nimble and agile as the 400........definitely sold on it, but with that 180 tire on the rear...we shall see

·
Registered
637 Posts

Owned a Spitfire....it was a hoot. Bought it new...the ladies loooved it
That was a year or two ago. A luxury go cart

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Ride review:

I watch a lot of stuff off this channel, quite like the English sense of humor.
Tl;dr Nice bike but the suspension is a bit budget for hard out sports riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
I love these guys, always a good laugh ( "like an explosion in a wallpaper paste factory!"). I think this bike is a great option for my wife. She is looking at the Ducati Supersport S right now. The SS non S is about $13k and the Aprilia is $11.5k. Both suspensions are pretty low end. The Ducati SS S model is $14.5k with a much much better Ohlins set up and a few more bells and whistles performance wise. I guess there is no free lunch. The SS is also 937cc 110hp, Aprilia 660cc 100hp. The guy was right, that Acid Gold color was developed while the dropped acid!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I love these guys, always a good laugh ( "like an explosion in a wallpaper paste factory!"). I think this bike is a great option for my wife. She is looking at the Ducati Supersport S right now. The SS non S is about $13k and the Aprilia is $11.5k. Both suspensions are pretty low end. The Ducati SS S model is $14.5k with a much much better Ohlins set up and a few more bells and whistles performance wise. I guess there is no free lunch. The SS is also 937cc 110hp, Aprilia 660cc 100hp. The guy was right, that Acid Gold color was developed while the dropped acid!
Good choice for your wife. I reckon at least 95% of riders would be well happy with the stock suspension.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts