Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hey just out of interest, how quick could do you reckon you could safely do Picton to Queenstown on your ninja at this time of year with good weather?
Never ridden that stretch in a day, that's a biggy esp this time of year. 812km according to google. 10 hrs at least I'd say considering you'll need to stop and warm up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well boys and girls I’ve done it. I’ve put my money where my mouth is and put my deposit down on the first shipment in NZ. Speaking to Motorad, they’re now not due until March 2021 due to Covid. My brother and law will hopefully be sending me photos of it in November from the bike show in Italy.......oh.....and of course it’s in black.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well boys and girls I’ve done it. I’ve put my money where my mouth is and put my deposit down on the first shipment in NZ. Speaking to Motorad, they’re now not due until March 2021 due to Covid. My brother and law will hopefully be sending me photos of it in November from the bike show in Italy.......oh.....and of course it’s in black.
Good one, will be keen to hear your thoughts. Yeah I wondered if the timeframe for ETA had been pushed back. Cheers for the info.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Finally they released the price in the US. At $11,300 MSRP I think it's lower than most people expected. I was thinking it would be around $12,500.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Finally they released the price in the US. At $11,300 MSRP I think it's lower than most people expected. I was thinking it would be around $12,500.

Nice, I am surprised...still a little high I feel, $7-8 sounds better to me....but than again I can remember when bikes were $1500 new, out the door, off the showroom floor.........I get those days are long gone, lol

11,300 spare dollars? 😄
Lol right, the main factor as well in owning one.........

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Also please when you get one post photo, videos, etc....we need to see and hear plenty of it :)

I mean this thing sounds amazing for a Parallel twin......heck sounds good for any cylinder configuration....

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
@b0Xcrash thanks for posting that clip, first ride review I've seen. Good to see they haven't made it too track focused like a lot of the current crop. If I was to buy one in a year or two's time it would be as a road bike, not a track bike. Initially anyways. Yes the pricing seems reasonable by European standards but there's still a huge gulf between it and the price of Japanese 650cc twins. For example when I bought my SV earlier this year, admittedly on a promo, it was 9K (NZD) Apparently the RS660 is going to be 20K...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
@b0Xcrash thanks for posting that clip, first ride review I've seen. Good to see they haven't made it too track focused like a lot of the current crop. If I was to buy one in a year or two's time it would be as a road bike, not a track bike. Initially anyways. Yes the pricing seems reasonable by European standards but there's still a huge gulf between it and the price of Japanese 650cc twins. For example when I bought my SV earlier this year, admittedly on a promo, it was 9K (NZD) Apparently the RS660 is going to be 20K...

Yeah I would use it as both, track days and road going, primarily road going....be interesting to see what people do with it on a pipe, ECU tune, etc.....I wonder if 110-115hp would not be out of the question..........which is right up there with the inline 4 600's of today......

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm curious to see if MotoAmerica allows this bike to run in the twins cup. If they do I'm going to assume it'll have to have a restrictor plate and some ballast. The price is good for what it is, but it is competing with the SV650 and FZ-07 segment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Unless I have money to spare (which I dont) I'll never buy an euro brand bike when I can get a japanese for the same price.. i.e cbr650 for that point. Then again I live in a place where you buy a ninja 400 for 12k usd, so....

·
Registered
840 Posts
Unless I have money to spare (which I dont) I'll never buy an euro brand bike when I can get a japanese for the same price.. i.e cbr650 for that point. Then again I live in a place where you buy a ninja 400 for 12k usd, so....
I haven't known anyone who actually owned an Aprilia. But I've a few friends who are really big fans of some European brands, and they also have had the most problems with their bikes. My Honda or Kawasaki's have never caused problems.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
That is one sweet bike! I've always loved Aprilias and almost got a Tuono in 2008. I ended up getting the KTM Superduke instead due to reliability concerns. I read so many bad things online about Aprilia and their parts availability, service, and customer support...

I know KTM has issues too, but my Superduke was bulletproof while I owned it! How is Aprilia reliability nowadays?...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, big difference in price, but also big difference in performance (at least on paper so far). Here, the msrp on new MT-07 is $7600 and SV650 is $7100. But those are also 70-hp bikes on a good day out of the box, and their suspension is inferior to the RS660. I think if you were going to race one, you wouldn't have to put as much money into the RS660 to make it a race weapon, as you do on an SV650 or MT-07. So at the end of the build, you might be spending not too much more on the Aprilia, maybe even about the same. It's a hefty price to pay upfront, but honestly it's less than I was expecting for what you get.

I'm curious to see if MotoAmerica allows this bike to run in the twins cup. If they do I'm going to assume it'll have to have a restrictor plate and some ballast. The price is good for what it is, but it is competing with the SV650 and FZ-07 segment.
I bet it will be allowed. There is no reason not to allow it, and without any restrictor plate. They might impose a higher minimum weight and perhaps an RPM limit, but it's a lower displacement than the Yamaha, and only 10cc more than the Suzuki, so why should they limit it? Whose fault is it that Aprilia made a better bike and got a lot more power out of a similar displacement as the competition? lol I think what they should do for the Twins class is set a limit on budget. From the very beginning that class has been mostly a builder's class. The top 5 bikes in that class are $25,000+ SV650 or MT-07s that have over $10,000 just in the motor! That's ridiculous. If you want to level the playing field a bit, set the limit to like $15,000 or lower.

I haven't known anyone who actually owned an Aprilia. But I've a few friends who are really big fans of some European brands, and they also have had the most problems with their bikes. My Honda or Kawasaki's have never caused problems.
I had an RSV4 recently for a short time. Didn't have it or ride it long enough to have any issues, but it had 11000 miles on when I got rid of it and it had been a track bike most of its life. Europeans make good bikes, not sure why so many are scared of them. Biggest problems with cost I see is that the engines are expensive if you have to replace one. That's also true for modern japanese 1000s nowadays, but most other japanese bikes still have reasonable costs for used engines. Ducati/BMW/Aprilia engines cost a fortune even on the used market, if it's for something that's relatively new.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The RSV4 engines seem to have a good name these days but it appears the dealership back up is still a bit thin on the ground and service and parts availability can still be sketchy at times. Aprilia have a real chance to cement their name in the mid size market with this bike so hopefully it's reliable!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had an RSV4 recently for a short time. Didn't have it or ride it long enough to have any issues, but it had 11000 miles on when I got rid of it and it had been a track bike most of its life. Europeans make good bikes, not sure why so many are scared of them. Biggest problems with cost I see is that the engines are expensive if you have to replace one. That's also true for modern japanese 1000s nowadays, but most other japanese bikes still have reasonable costs for used engines. Ducati/BMW/Aprilia engines cost a fortune even on the used market, if it's for something that's relatively new.
It's probably more a case where a few bikes go wrong and the story gets spread around. And even then, it may be a matter of degree rather than a contrast of trash and treasure. But when a YouTuber like CycleCruza has problems with a Ducati and tells everyone that he wouldn't own one outside of its warranty coverage, the brand's reputation takes a hit.

Reliability rankings often put the Big Four at the top and many European manufactures toward the bottom. For example, this came out recently (admittedly, on a more entertainment oriented website): Ranking The 9 Most Reliable Motorcycle Brands Of 2020 (And The 6 Least Reliable).

Also, in an older owner survey from 2015, Consumer Reports said: "Consumer Reports’ survey of our subscribers shows that the Japanese brands are significantly more reliable than most bikes from other regions—led in order by Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki. Domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson were midpack, and Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am were the more trouble-prone brands. " See Motorcycle Reliability and Owner Satisfaction - Consumer Reports

So I think there's something to it, but the difference might be exaggerated in the public eye.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts