Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started this in the 'other bikes' section of the forum as I can see quite a few of us are interested in this prototype twin cylinder machine and it would be good to have a place to share comments and info as it comes to light.

I like this from another member:
Omg, RS 660. That thing is beautiful, I think I have just found my next bike. Hope it’s not going to be too expensive, I wonder if there is any chance it could be less than 10k?
Yes, price is going to be the telling point.

For those of you not in the know here is some info and a look at the mean machine:
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/315955/aprilia-rs660-concept-confirmed-2020/

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah it does. That ohlins suspension and those Brembo brakes are oozing $$$ lol I honestly don't see the retail price on this being less than $15,000.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If it’s more than 10/k, I will pass. It’s an awesome looking bike for sure, but as of now the Kawi 636 is going for 8999 at some dealerships. :surprise: I am reading maybe 100hp and around 330lbs. Not bad numbers but I think most supersport 600s will eat it up. Hopefully somebody will let me ride theirs next season. :grin:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah it does. That ohlins suspension and those Brembo brakes are oozing $$$ lol I honestly don't see the retail price on this being less than $15,000.
Right, but you hush your mouth with that speak!! Lol.

I want to say I remember a couple Gixxer 1000's having this silver or whatever calipers OEM...I thought, one of them came with them...like 03 or 05 maybe? They had the special WSBK or GP colors was it?

And did'nt the Busa come with Brembo calipers a couple years? Or at least the entry line labeled Brembo's...and then RC390 has the India or whatever version Brembo's...kind of like Blue Point was Snap-On's economic line of tools (was the only thing I could think of I know cars and bikes did something similar) Scion and Toyota maybe another that comes to mind

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
here we go, some pics to go with this post.

But I do agree, all this carbon fibre, trick suspension, brakes, active aero this thing is going to be way to rich for my blood...ah well I can dream right?? lol

If so it will be a very niche demographic and might not sell very well.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
here we go, some pics to go with this post.

But I do agree, all this carbon fibre, trick suspension, brakes, active aero this thing is going to be way to rich for my blood...ah well I can dream right?? lol

If so it will be a very niche demographic and might not sell very well.....
I suspect they will tone the bike down if it makes it to production. It'll still be a cool bike, but if they really want to compete with the other middleweights, it needs to be economically viable, otherwise I don't see much interest in it at all. There's not a large market for exotic middleweights. If you're going exotic, you're gonna go big like they do with the RSV4.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I suspect they will tone the bike down if it makes it to production. It'll still be a cool bike, but if they really want to compete with the other middleweights, it needs to be economically viable, otherwise I don't see much interest in it at all. There's not a large market for exotic middleweights. If you're going exotic, you're gonna go big like they do with the RSV4.
Yeah I agree, but if they go standard forks, standard brakes(so no radial master, no monoblock style calipers, etc), 150 rear tire, box steel swingarm and paper weight rear shock that has no adjustability, its just another Ninja 400, R3, etc....granted R3 now at least as USD forks, but they are non-adjustable.

Would not hurt my feelings if they go more like the RC390 did, but still have a good shock and good forks, they could loose some of the carbon. I mean they run some really nice 600cc 4's and liter bike rolling chassis, just different and larger motors, so it can be done cost effective.

What I would really like to see is them do exactly this and have it affordable, looking at the shock it has a piggback reservoir and looks Ohlins, but Showa and KYB both manages this as well.

But yeah to be affordable, I doubt all this carbon will be included on a standard model.
Guess we will have to wait and see........darn anticipation and speculation is killing me :grin:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What did the ZXR400 and RVF400RR go for back in the day new? Compared to a CBR900/929RR, GSXR750R or 1000 of the day?

So looks like the RVF was $6000 pounds, or about $7700 US dollars back in the day compared to a 2001 GSXR 1000 new $10k, so we could expect the RS 660 to maybe be fairly priced around $8-10k...maybe? Who knows I could be way off.....

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with the comments that the production model will probably be watered down a bit as they usually are but hopefully not too much or as Box said, it will lose it's point of difference as something a bit more exotic from a European manufacturer.
Or... are Aprilia wanting to get this into production as a homologated model so it can race in the likes of the Isle of Man TT Lightweight? The basic class rules are water-cooled four-stroke twin cylinder engines not exceeding 650 cc. So 660cc will only work as a name, not actual engine size.

Good question on the price of the old 400 fours back in the day, something i have often wondered myself as I live in a country where they were sold new. I have heard people say they were not much cheaper than a 600 four.

Weighing this bike up against a 600 Supersport on the basis of HP for your buck is a bit moot IMO as this is a narrow engined twin that should be lighter and more flickable than a 4 cylinder bike. And that is what attracts me to it.

As long as it's not say $2000 USD more than a FZ-07 or SV650 or KTM690 then it should sell OK.

It's point of difference will be that it's a proper sportsbike not a naked like it's competition. Could be a winning formula. I'm keen!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Aprilia Tuono 1100 is unique / unmatched, and it still has a tough time due to a thin dealer network / available warranty work / lead time for parts. Having a hard time seeing what the RS660 would bring to the table that gives it a snowball's chance in hеll for the USA against the big four. Tuono is approx 157 whp, will be surprised if the street going 660 is over 100 whp.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Aprilia Tuono 1100 is unique / unmatched, and it still has a tough time due to a thin dealer network / available warranty work / lead time for parts. Having a hard time seeing what the RS660 would bring to the table that gives it a snowball's chance in hеll for the USA against the big four. Tuono is approx 157 whp, will be surprised if the street going 660 is over 100 whp.
Even if it's only 90 HP then it's still going to head of it's rivals at around 75HP. But I think this bike is perhaps aimed at people looking for a more lighter, manageable sports bike that's still going to handle and stop real well but not tear your arms off and cost you a second mortgage in rear tyre replacements.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Maybe they are going after the Ducati Monster crowd. There are 4 on every street corner where I live. Thought process during the purchase..."Italian motorcycle" ..sold.....!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe they are going after the Ducati Monster crowd. There are 4 on every street corner where I live. Thought process during the purchase..."Italian motorcycle" ..sold.....!
Yeah and nah. Monster buyers are probably looking for a more up right riding position than this bike will offer but yeah their obviously prepared to spend a bit more on a European bike.

It is hard to know who this bike would appeal to other than myself and a few others!
I forgot the other day that there is already the Honda CBR650R in the faired sports bike around 650cc bracket. It retails for $9,400 on the power sports site. Quite a beefy bike though, and arguably a bit boring. Think I'd rather have a svelte European twin between my legs! :biggrin:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd rather have the RS660 over the CBR650 too probably. Twins are really usable in the lower revs.

The Tuono "1100" is only 1077cc. They keep saying the RS660 is half the Tuono engine. Half the Touno is 538, so I'm going to guess they stroked it by 20% to 646cc, so it won't rev as freely as the Tuono.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'd rather have the RS660 over the CBR650 too probably. Twins are really usable in the lower revs.

The Tuono "1100" is only 1077cc. They keep saying the RS660 is half the Tuono engine. Half the Touno is 538, so I'm going to guess they stroked it by 20% to 646cc, so it won't rev as freely as the Tuono.

Interesting....I read it was half the RSV motor, unless Aprilia said it was half the Tuono?

Yeah the CBR650R, is not horrible, I have seen one in person, but the standard forks and the funky tail kind of kill it for me....makes it look a little too chunky.

I, like Kiwi, one of the few in that niche market looking for a proper superbike, but not in a 600cc i-4 or i-4 liter, something thinner, unique and different....but in a smaller displacement.
I had always hoped Ducati would do 650 or 700 v-twin superbike, the 748/749 was great back in the day, but something more modern and it still gave 600 superbike performance, then they went 848 with about 115-120hp and 859 which was way too much, 150hp and like 440 wet.

Since they won't let us have back the 2 stroke super light weights and crazy rev'ing power I want the next best thing, space age weightless smaller displacement 4 stroke...I so wish Honda would do another high reving small displacement v-4

1 - 20 of 113 Posts