Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering about the new 650’s? Any opinions? I kno just it had a lot of updates and a whopping 42 pound weight loss

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Was wondering about the new 650’s? Any opinions? I kno just it had a lot of updates and a whopping 42 pound weight loss
Member @xorbe just bought one a couple of weeks ago, hopefully he can chime in with a review for us.

Its a sharp looking bike, really like the under-slung exhaust. Had hoped they would fit one to the N400 but no...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would have been cool, not sure if I want a 400 or the 650, I’m sure the 400 is more nimble and I’m still leaning towards that but I plan on doing a lot of highway riding so wondering if the 650 will be better for that
EDIT: I would assume it would be better, what a I mean is better enough to warrant the extra price, also while the 650 looks good I honestly think the 400 looks better especially the front end

·
Registered
242 Posts
I previously had a couple other small bikes, Ninja 250 and R3, and currently have Street Triple 765 RS, and Ninja 650. The N650 is a (relatively) torquey commuter in my opinion. It doesn't wind out like the N400 does (from the videos I've seen). I'm over 40 years old, and just toodle around town, and I don't really like to rev my bike out except for the occasional jaunt, so that's why I've opted for the larger torquey bike. If I need to get my weekend revs on, I grab the Triumph. So I wanted a contrasting (and slower!) bike. N650 seems like a fine bike to me, though I haven't got a lot of miles on it yet, understandably. The 650 has some vibes, and I'm wondering how the 400 is in that dept. I did opt for the 650 because I will be doing some freeway commuting. I'm a pretty casual rider, so I might not have a lot of valuable input.

Actually I still miss my squishy Ninja 250, and the 650 does have some of the same dna, so it kinda feels like home, hah. I like to ride, I pretty much don't care what the bike looks like, though I have a tough time with Yamaha's overly-busy FZ transformer styling.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I previously had a couple other small bikes, Ninja 250 and R3, and currently have Street Triple 765 RS, and Ninja 650. The N650 is a (relatively) torquey commuter in my opinion. It doesn't wind out like the N400 does (from the videos I've seen). I'm over 40 years old, and just toodle around town, and I don't really like to rev my bike out except for the occasional jaunt, so that's why I've opted for the larger torquey bike. If I need to get my weekend revs on, I grab the Triumph. So I wanted a contrasting (and slower!) bike. N650 seems like a fine bike to me, though I haven't got a lot of miles on it yet, understandably. The 650 has some vibes, and I'm wondering how the 400 is in that dept. I did opt for the 650 because I will be doing some freeway commuting. I'm a pretty casual rider, so I might not have a lot of valuable input.

Actually I still miss my squishy Ninja 250, and the 650 does have some of the same dna, so it kinda feels like home, hah. I like to ride, I pretty much don't care what the bike looks like, though I have a tough time with Yamaha's overly-busy FZ transformer styling.
Thanks for the input ? I’m having trouble deciding between the 2018 MT-07 (I like transformers lol) the ninja 400 and the ninja 650. Its really going to come down to how patient I am and how much i have for a down payment (planning between 2-4K usd)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've ridden the old ER6N which shares its engine with the Ninja 650. It was quite vibey and a little agricultural but I loved the growl from the airbox at higher revs.

Chassis wise, the ER6N was firm and felt very planted but had a tendancy to want to 'stand up' while cornering so you had to be deliberate with your inputs. The suspension was firm but tended to kick you out of the seat a bit over bigger bumps.

Also ridden a 2017 MT-07 which was a much smoother and lighter bike. It felt more nimble but could be a little bit flighty. The suspension was plush but fairly soft. It was also much quieter - you could barely hear the engine.

I sat on both the new Ninja 400 and 650 at my local dealers and have to say that the 650 was much more comfortable. The 400 puts more weight on your wrists, has a harder seat and higher peg position. For hard riding or at the track I think the 400 would be the better bet but I'm leaning towards the 650 for the extra comfort, torque, dual disks and sculpted swingarm. I can also pick up a lightly used one for nearly the same price as the 400.

I love the lightness of the 400 though and still think it's excellent value. Might have to take them both for a test ride before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would suggest sitting on them both at the dealers. To me, the 650 feels like more of a sports tourer but also more muscular and substantial than the 400.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@ Howie

Thanks for your input. I am in the same situation. I cannot decide between the 400 and 650. The dealers here does not allow test rides which makes it difficult to compare the two bikes. I have also sat on both bikes, and the 650 feels more like a touring position, which I prefer. I like the 400 for it's lightness and it is significantly cheaper, but the possibility of putting weight on my wrists I do not like. (Current bike puts weight on my wrists and I hate that)

Please post your findings should you take the bikes for a test drive.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
... I like the 400 for it's lightness and it is significantly cheaper, but the possibility of putting weight on my wrists I do not like. (Current bike puts weight on my wrists and I hate that)
Personally I didnt find it put too much weight on my wrists and the new aluminium clip ons I have fitted now are 1" lower than the standard bars were. Still good.

You can buy 41mm clip ons with a riser if you find you dont like the standard position.
See link below as an example but you can get cheaper brands too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODCRAFT-RACING-41mm-CLIP-ON-CLIPON-HANDLEBAR-KIT-WITH-2-INCH-RISE-/272912190851

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went back in to the dealers after work today and sat on the 400 again. The forward lean really isn't so bad. I think you would be fine with it. For me the 650 just fits like a glove though. Felt right at home as soon as I got on it. Not as top heavy as the old ER6 either.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If im am to be honest, I would go for the mt/fz07, not much of a yamaha guy but that is a really nice bike. its a perfect balance though for highway use...Mmm a little windy haha if not then just stick with the 400

·
Registered
11 Posts
Already ridden an MT-07. Lovely bike but at 80mph I felt like I was in a hurricane. Also lacks the slipper clutch and that 180 hoop on the back is a bit unnecessary. Very soft suspension on the pre 2018 models too. The ninja 650 might just be the perfect all rounder for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Personally I didnt find it put too much weight on my wrists and the new aluminium clip ons I have fitted now are 1" lower than the standard bars were. Still good.

You can buy 41mm clip ons with a riser if you find you dont like the standard position.
See link below as an example but you can get cheaper brands too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODCRAFT-RACING-41mm-CLIP-ON-CLIPON-HANDLEBAR-KIT-WITH-2-INCH-RISE-/272912190851
Yes..but Kiwi Rider...your still a "youngin" :grin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Already ridden an MT-07. Lovely bike but at 80mph I felt like I was in a hurricane. Also lacks the slipper clutch and that 180 hoop on the back is a bit unnecessary. Very soft suspension on the pre 2018 models too. The ninja 650 might just be the perfect all rounder for me.
Hmm if you dont mind me asking, what is your body weight?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Already ridden an MT-07. Lovely bike but at 80mph I felt like I was in a hurricane.
Naked bikes ought to come with a warning about how bad wind blast will really be at speed. I ordered a windscreen for my naked Street Triple, if it doesn't help enough, it's a goner I'm selling it. It's a Puig and the largest thing currently available, but it's still a rather small windscreen, and certainly nothing like a full front fairing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve ridden a 2017. It’s torquey right off idle and has stronger midrange. It didn’t like to be rev’d as much. I had a versys650 for a while. Same basic motor. Great low performance. It’s an excellent cruiser motor for the Vulcan. The ninja 400, while still a parallel twin is a lot more rev happy. It suits the bike better than the 650 does in the ninja 650. Imo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts