Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every run there ninja 400 at the drag strip? What is the best upgrade Performace wise any of you have done?

·
Registered
429 Posts
lol.

Push to NOS bro.

In all honesty though that would be cool expensive project. Taking a stock 400 and seeing the mod improvements over time. I don't know if it would be worthwhile but if its something you want hopefully you get some good results.

·
Director of Moderation
3,021 Posts
Weight overall and especially the rider makes too much of a difference on small displacement bikes. If you're a bigger guy and weigh over 200 lbs you could put $10k into your bike and make it over 60hp and you'll still lose to a 5'2" girl that weighs 100 lbs that just has an exhaust and ECU flash on a pretty much stock bike.

Plus...going fast around turns is much more fun. Take it to closed-course tracks and you'll have a blast!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am 6ft 2, 205lbs I have a turbo Ls mustang that i has been [email protected], my 14 year old has a 1985 s10 Ls swap that been [email protected] with him driving, my z 400 swap been [email protected], just looking around and wondering if anyone has swap cam or anything to make significant power difference, **** i spent thousands of dollars on my stock z motor to just keep breaking it, and running high 9’s before finally swapping it, i ride a rode in the summer time call old hwy 18, its a perfect road for the bike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone every run there ninja 400 at the drag strip? What is the best upgrade Performace wise any of you have done?
You would probably spend almost what a ZX14 would cost to do it right and still be way too slow. I remember(back in the day) passing a Honda 350 at the finish line at 145 and he was doing about 75 or 80 he was really teed off. We laughed because it was bracket racing and if he had beat me his next run would have been against a 7 second turbo bike running 175 at the top end. My friends said I cheated him out seeing what 100 mph faster looks like up close.🤣

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every road race starts with a drag race. :)
[/QUOT
preach

You would probably spend almost what a ZX14 would cost to do it right and still be way too slow. I remember(back in the day) passing a Honda 350 at the finish line at 145 and he was doing about 75 or 80 he was really teed off. We laughed because it was bracket racing and if he had beat me his next run would have been against a 7 second turbo bike running 175 at the top end. My friends said I cheated him out seeing what 100 mph faster looks like up close.🤣
Honestly i have owned alot of motorcycles over the years, my favorite was a rc51 till i got my little mini, i enjoy messing with the little bikes, i am not rich but i spend money on **** i dont need like i am lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Weight overall and especially the rider makes too much of a difference on small displacement bikes. If you're a bigger guy and weigh over 200 lbs you could put $10k into your bike and make it over 60hp and you'll still lose to a 5'2" girl that weighs 100 lbs that just has an exhaust and ECU flash on a pretty much stock bike.

Plus...going fast around turns is much more fun. Take it to closed-course tracks and you'll have a blast!
That’s why some people didn’t like Ricky Gadson. Skinny little dude was BAD ASS!

·
Director of Moderation
3,021 Posts
I am 6ft 2, 205lbs I have a turbo Ls mustang that i has been [email protected], my 14 year old has a 1985 s10 Ls swap that been [email protected] with him driving, my z 400 swap been [email protected], just looking around and wondering if anyone has swap cam or anything to make significant power difference, **** i spent thousands of dollars on my stock z motor to just keep breaking it, and running high 9’s before finally swapping it, i ride a rode in the summer time call old hwy 18, its a perfect road for the bike
Yeah at that size you won't be any faster that a small person of half your weight with a stock-ish bike, regardless of the mods. Maybe if you do a 1/2 mile drag or longer but not in a 1/8 or 1/4-mile. I don't drag race because it's not that exciting to me, but in road racing on straights it's a noticeable difference whenever I race with 14-15 year old kids that weigh like 100-120 lbs. I'm almost 230. That's why I built up my bike to pretty close to 60 hp, just to be able to keep up at least on the straights lol You'll need to start dropping significant weight off the bike. Get it down to 300 lbs or less, then do some work on the engine, and it'll be more fun. But it's still not going to be a "fast" bike. You should do a track day on the 400. You'll love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bike is 275lbs currently, i dont have a 400, i have a 2018 z125 with a stock 400 engine & a dual nozzle nitrous kit

Yeah at that size you won't be any faster that a small person of half your weight with a stock-ish bike, regardless of the mods. Maybe if you do a 1/2 mile drag or longer but not in a 1/8 or 1/4-mile. I don't drag race because it's not that exciting to me, but in road racing on straights it's a noticeable difference whenever I race with 14-15 year old kids that weigh like 100-120 lbs. I'm almost 230. That's why I built up my bike to pretty close to 60 hp, just to be able to keep up at least on the straights lol You'll need to start dropping significant weight off the bike. Get it down to 300 lbs or less, then do some work on the engine, and it'll be more fun. But it's still not going to be a "fast" bike. You should do a track day on the 400. You'll love it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Back to the original question if anyone has drag raced their Ninja 400. I'm guessing about 13.5 @ 99 mph on the 1/4 mile. I dragged raced my '89 Honda CB1 400cc at Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point) about 30 years ago. I figure they're about equal but that Honda had a little more HP but weighed more also.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do bring my Ninja 400 to the drag strip with me. It comes along with the 2020 BMW S1000RR. I only have a 1/8 mile near me, but honestly if you're good there, 1/4 and up are easy as it's all about the start. I think my best time on the 400 was 8.1 or 8.2 at something like 84-85mph. The BMW dead stock does around [email protected] I don't bring my Ninja for any other reason than to work on my race starts for my actual roadracing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
These 1/8 mile times?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts