Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled the trigger, and powered out from San Diego to Phoenix-ish this weekend, and picked up a 400. Need to build on a budget for CVMA starting in a few weeks, so at minimum I'll need:

Race Bodywork
Rearsets
Case Covers

The bike has clipons already, but they aren't the riser kind, so I think I may need clipons as well. Would like to get a exhaust system, tune, QS and suspension as well, but that may have to wait for a bit.

Any suggestions for vendors of said goodies? Thinking Woodcraft for the rearsets/case covers, but not sure if someone has a rec for plastics other than Hotbodies or CRC? The Spears site has a couple different sets, between $800 and $1200, so almost twice the HB, but increased quality would be nice.

Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,
Joel

PS will likely put the entire OEM bodywork up for sale this week, pm if interested. . .

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can speak to the quality of the WC rearsets and clip ons. As for bodywork, I think you should stop in at Hotbodies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Krom, about to pull the trigger on the WC rearsets and case covers, funny the HB promo guy can't beat STG's deal on the BW, its cheaper to buy through STG, especially with no tax and free shipping. Are you racing CVMA? do I know you?

Joel #290 CVMA

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So quick update, have been hitting the credit card this week:
Woodcraft rearsets and case covers;
CRC bodywork, with fender, seat mount and stompgrip
Motion pro throttle, lightweight fairing stay and reg/rectifier bracket;
Hindle full exhaust with race hanger

About to pull the trigger on Andreani cartridges and some WC riser clipons (previous had cheap chinese clipons that likely wont clear bodywork

·
Registered
460 Posts
lol I know all about hitting that credit card. They sent me a thank you card last week. It's an expensive habit that I'm hooked on. Wife is swearing divorce but she is my biggest fan at the track. I swear I can hear her screaming over my M4 exhaust.

Good luck drop some pictures. Espically on how your going to remount the overflow reservoir. I'll be installing my stay once I get home along with an over sized radiator.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you racing CVMA? do I know you?

Joel #290 CVMA
No and no, but I am looking to get out to Chuckwalla for some track days. I've only been able to go when my buddy with a van wants to go. I need a truck of my own to hit more track days; nothing worse than finishing a long hot exhausting day of riding, only to have to ride a couple hours back home.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on racing CVMA every round, if you ever need a ride, hit me up, Trackdaz on Friday is good intro to the track, and they do NRS (New Racer School), which is even cheaper than a track day, and if you don't crash, you earn a race license. lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Round 1 and the N4 was basically a distraction, couldn't get the CRC bodywork on in time, but brought it to the track. Vendor that sold it to me, HustleHard racing, actually met me at the track and assisted in the install, but the windscreen was drilled incorrectly, so that took another couple hours to work-around, blowing my trackday before race weekend.

Saturday still needed some rearset and clip on adjustments so I didn't qualify on the N4, went with the 3, and was consistent with last year's pace. 2 races with mediocre results.

Sunday I took the N4 out for practice, and didn't have the shifter nut tightened, so after a lap, the shifter was almost dragging on the ground, screwed P1.

P2, got a decent lap in, but the clutch was slipping and I had no drive even at the rev limiter. Couple buddies said it was just a lever adjustment, so headed out for first race, and on the outlap, realized it was still slipping/toast, so missed that race.

Raced my final race on the N3 again, with mediocre results.

N4 was an annoying distraction all weekend, but showed promised on the one lap it stayed together.

Sigh, back to more time and $ in prep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts