Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my endorsement last week and have been shopping bikes for the past few months.

I’m currently between the Ninja 400 and Ninja 650. My local dealer has the 400 at $5600 OTD while the Ninja 659 is about $8200 OTD. Ulltimately leaning towards the 400. Insurance is also the exact same for both bikes other brands are almost double!

I am nervous living in Florida and having to do a lot of highway mileage the 400 may not be the best bet. I’m 5’11 and currently 225lbs (working on it). I estimate about 20,000 miles a year with 40% potentially being highway. The main road from my house is 65 and once I get on the interstate traffic is easily doing 80 mph.

The dealerS are constantly trying to push me towards the 650 saying I’ll get bored of the 400 too quickly but we all know they are just trying to make money. I like the higher reving 400 but I also like the sound of the 650 plus the dual disc brakes, adjustable levers and other small enhancements but is it really worth the extra $2600? I’ll be buying the 400 out right if I go that route and in 2-3 years I wouldn’t mind upgrading but keep the 400 just for commuting. Argh if they make either of them in white for 2019 that may make my decision for me although I’ll have to wait a bit longer but I loved the white 17 650

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it's for commuting, and you can afford it, and you're not afraid of the bigger bike, I'd go for the 650.

The torque on the highway will give you better reaction and smoother ride.
Probably the 650 will give you more storage options? I don't know. If commuting in Florida, it'd be nice to carry your rain gear with you all the time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 400 handles the freeway with no problem.

Reactions: Foohy270

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is turning into one of the hardest decisions I've made in the last few years. Bring the white to the 400 and have an available under slung exhaust.
I wont be commuting every day just a few times in the winter months when we don't have a 90% chance of storms every single day. My commute is 60 miles with 40 of that being on the interstate. I could take the highway but it adds about 15 minutes..

I know they both have vibration but could any of you tell me if it's actually hand numbing during long rides around 6-7k rpms?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is turning into one of the hardest decisions I've made in the last few years. Bring the white to the 400 and have an available under slung exhaust.
I wont be commuting every day just a few times in the winter months when we don't have a 90% chance of storms every single day. My commute is 60 miles however with 40 of that on the interstate although I could take the highway but it adds about 15 minutes..

I know they both have vibration but could any of you tell me if it's actually hand numbing during long rides around 6-7k rpms?
I don't notice any vibration really. My longest ride has been 2.5 hours and it's comfortable but the only thing is my ass is killing me after about 2 hours of riding.

Reactions: Foohy270

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks! We're actually going to be purchasing two. My fiancée wants the same size that I get which may or may not also be affecting my decision. We’ve already got all our gear ordered.

·
Registered
243 Posts
5'11" and 225 lbs, I'd go with the 650 heehee. Nothing wrong with getting the 400 for your partner if that's what fits best for them! I have the white N650 and there are some vibes around 5500 rpms. I changed my sprockets by +1 / -3 to lower rpms, and added foam grips. I commute pretty much exclusively on the N650, about 260 miles a week. Sadly I have not yet tested the N400. If you want to wind out the engine to 12k then get the N400. If you like to short shift at 4-6K with a bit of low end shove from the engine get the N650. Florida's flat, right? So either would work. Here in California, I cross the sometimes super windy Altamont Pass mountain range, and it was just kinda brutal on a smaller engine bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 255-260lbs and have no issues with the 400 on the highway. If it's not your first bike or you are pretty confident and can afford it I'd go with the 650 though. As you'll see from a couple other threads there's a few of us who are already wanting/thinking we should have went with the 650 or are ready to switch to it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've been riding on the street for 32 years. I believe I have owned at least 40 bikes.

I have a couple of 1200's, a 1400, a 300, 400 etc...currently. I have about 1300 dragstrip passes, and many 200 mph passes in Land Speed Racing. I am also 6', 250 lbs.

Bigger is not always better. The 400 is the kind of bike that makes you a better rider. It is supremely capable...and, honestly, has more than enough power for any reasonable street need. Most people who bought a 400 and think they need a 650...well, they cannot utilize a 400 near it's potential, performance-wise. I put more miles on my 300 & 400 than I do my larger bikes.

That being said, sometimes a larger bike is just a better fit...either mentally, or physically....or for the job at hand. Good luck, either way...both machines are certainly competent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wont be commuting every day just a few times in the winter months when we don't have a 90% chance of storms every single day. My commute is 60 miles with 40 of that being on the interstate. I could take the highway but it adds about 15 minutes..

I commute 60 miles one way, with 50 miles of it at 65mph or higher. On the highway I Cruze at 70-75 most of the time and reach 85 occasionally. All of those speeds are low vibration for me. My worst vibration seems to be in the mid to high 50’s.

I’m okay with the vibration levels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a newer rider and picked up a 2018 650 this past week. Great bike. Very upright position. Nice low end. It is in break in and shifting at 4K is not much fun. The handling is good. The weight difference is only slightly noticeable. My other bike is an old 2012 cbr 250. The cbr is more flickable and maybe, I guess I would say, plain fun. It stinks at 65 mph on less than ideal pavement due to its low weight. The weight of the 650 is really nice on less than perfect pavement.

For comparison, my previous bike was a Harley street rod 750. Torquey but heavy. It was not with me long...I a man a sport bike guy.

I split time in Orlando, Jax, and southern Alabama is you are anywhere close and want to mess with the 650.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It will be our first bikes. As I said before she's set on us getting the same size bikes. After a bunch of discussion today we will be going with the 400's unless the stealerships cuts us a better deal on the 650's. I know it doesn't compare but we do several years of experience on dirt bikes and I used to race ATV's.

Probably going to go with the 400 for now and in a few years time maybe a triple (I love that effin sound).

GTScott I am actually in St. Augustine and commute to Jacksonville every day with the possibility of moving to Palm Coast which doubles my commute to 120 miles round trip.

Edit: Do you guys think I can do anything to get this quote a bit lower?
Dealer Unit Price: $3,985
Freight: $370
Dealer Prep: $476
Title: $75
Battery / Tire: $3.50
---- Cash Price: $5,069
Sales Tax $348.70
Document / Admin Free $489
Total: $5,907.20

I tried taking it to a dealer that doesn't charge dealer fees but they wouldn't even touch it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Ninja 400, im 230 lbs and the bike has way more than enough torque even at low rpm. You can do highway speeds no problem. Acceleration is great. I never rode for two hours straight on highway yet, so not sure if comfort would be an issue. But if the insurance is the same price, and you have space, then i probably would go with the 650. Insurance was more for the 650 for me, but i am glad i got the 400. Smaller, nimble, nicely packaged bike, with ABS, etc. I have the KRT abs. Im very happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m 5’11 215lbs and use my 400 for commuting whenever we aren’t getting poured on. It works great enough for the commute. I’m not bored on mine, but I really don’t go crazy speeds on it. Sure, I’ll rev it high and take off but usually sit just above the speed limit. The seat is pretty uncomfortable but that’s my only gripe. I love it otherwise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have owned both these models and prefer the 400 because it is more fun and much easier to handle, especially cornering. I don't think there is any problem with the 400 on the freeway, there is plenty of power. I thought the 650 was a little "bigger" feeling and a little more intimidating for me (at 76). I love the 400 I have now and take many longer highway trips with no problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts